Wayland Union Schools
Wayland Union Schools utilizes the Reader's and Writer's Workshop model for Language Arts Instruction. Our district utilizes the Lucy Calkins Units of Study for Reading and Writing as the basis of our Language Arts program but supplement based on the needs of students, which vary from year to year.
Essential Standards for 4th Grade Language Arts:
- Interpret information presented visually, orally, or quantitatively (charts, graphs, timelines, etc) and explain how the information contributes to an understanding of the text in which it appears.
- Determine the meaning of general academic words or phrases in a text relevant to a 4th-grade topic or subject area.
- Refer to details and examples in a text when explaining what the text says.
- Read with sufficient accuracy and fluency to support comprehension.
- Engage effectively in a range of collaborative discussions with diverse partners on 4th-grade topics and texts, building on others' ideas and expressing their own clearly.
- Produce clear and coherent writing that is appropriate to the task, purpose, and audience.
- Summarize key supporting details and ideas in a text.
Essential Standards for 4th Grade Math:
- Multiply and divide a 4-digit number by a 1-digit number, multiply two 2-digit numbers
- Identify all of the components of the place value system
- Compare fractions and determine equivalent fractions
- Add and subtract simple fractions
- Determine factors and multiples of numbers
- Understand and use targeted math vocabulary words
Parents looking to help their child with math at home might find the following resources useful.
Wayland Union Schools utilizes Mystery Science as the core resource for addressing the Michigan Science standards. Currently, students in Fourth Grade will learn about the following topics during the school year:
- Human Body, Senses, and the Brain
- Rock Cycle and Earth's Processes
- Sound, Waves, and Communication
- Energy, Motion, and Electricity
Source: MAISA Social Studies 4th Grade Course Description
Helping your Child at Home
Wayland Union Schools offers access to several different programs that can keep students learning at home. Please read below to learn about the various programs. Usage may vary from grade to grade so please be sure to look at the target audience and work with your child's teacher to maximize the benefit of each program.
Please contact your child's teacher or the Technology Helpdesk (firstname.lastname@example.org) for usernames and passwords for the various websites.
To learn about the different programs that students may utilize at home, click here.