The Southern colonies
Bilal, Eric, Jenna, Kody, and Matt
Why were these colonies founded?
· Maryland was founded to create a refuge for Roman Catholics.
· Virginia was founded to gain wealth and convert the natives to Christianity.
· North Carolina was founded for farming and trade.
· South Carolina was founded for farming and trade.
· Georgia was founded because King George ordered that it was to serve as a barrier against Spanish.
What role did religion play?
· People in the Southern Colonies were mostly Anglican (Baptist or Presbyterian).
· In Maryland people were Catholic because it was a refuge for English Catholics.
· Religion didn’t have the same impact as English colonies did because they were more spread out.
What were the economic conditions?
· It was mostly all based on farming.
· Crops were grown on big plantations.
· The southern colonies got involved in the slave trade.
- Founded by Lord Baltimore and others in 1633
- Founded by John Smith and others in 1607
- Founded by Virginia colonists in 1653
- Founded by English colonists in 1663
Founded by James Oglethorpe and others in 1732
What are the geographical characteristics?
- Maryland- low fertile, hot during summer, and the farming had a long growing season.
- Virginia- fertile soil, hot and humid during summer, and farming had a long growing season.
- North Carolina-swamps on the coast, warm summers, farming had a long growing season.
- South Carolina- swampy land, low plains, and farming had a long growing season.
- Georgia- Coastal swamps, hot summers, farming had a long growing season.
· They had many natural resources such as forests and fish.
· They were not dominated by a specific religion.
· They exported resources by trade.