Fort Martin Scott
By Elizabeth, Josie, Sydney,and Efrain
Fort Martin Scott consisted of a complex of twenty-one buildings, some of which have been restored.
They used to have Comanche powwows in honor of the treaty not being broken, up until a few years ago with the city banned it.
Originally called camp Houston for about a year.
It was designated a Texas historic land mark in 1936.
It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.
- Fort Martin Scott was established as Camp Houston on December 5, 1848.
- The German settlers in Fredericksburg had established a lasting treaty with the local Comanches in 1847.
- The Eighth Military Department renamed the camp in December 1849 for Maj. Martin Scott (Fifth United States Infantry), who was killed at the battle of Molina del Rey in 1847.
- The influx of new settlers, soldiers, and other whites traversing the range led to the brink of open warfare in 1850.
- The Eighth Military Department ordered that Fort Martin Scott close in December 1853.
- By the end of 1866 the fort was finally abandoned by military units.
Ft. Martin Scott
Fort Martin Scott was the first U.S army outpost built on the Texas frontier.
History of Scott
The fort was used as a camp for the Texas Rangers before and after military occupation in the early and late 1800's.
No place like home
When the fort was abandoned it was later purchased by the Braeutigam family who used the property as a farm.
History of Scott
Before it was abandoned and sold to the family it was briefly used by the Confederates during the Civil War.
Pistol percussion caps and bullet casings, to pristine silver dimes minted in the 1800's are artifacts that have been founded at the historical site.
As good as new
In 1986 the Fredericksburg Heritage Foundation started a project to restore the fort back to its original appearance. Today you can still go to the site but now it is a self guided tour historical location.