Kelley's Kids Konnections
2nd Grade Class 2015-2016
- May 9: STAAR Testing (campus closed to visitors) - 3 rd Grade: Math - 4 th Grade: Math and 5 th Grade: Math (retest)
- May 10: STAAR Testing (campus closed to visitors) 3 rd Grade: Reading - 4 th Grade: Reading -5 th Grade: Reading (retest)
- May 11: STAAR Testing (campus closed to visitors) 5 th Grade: Science
- May 13: Principal’s End-of-the-Year Parties (purchased with Cheetah Bucks)
- May 16-20: Wacky Week (fun details coming soon!)
- May 17: PTA General Meeting & Cheetah Choir Spring Show
- May 18: Grade Level Talent Show (during specials time)
- May 20: Volunteer Appreciation Luncheon
- May 20: School-Wide Talent Show (9:00 & 1:30)
- May 20: Lost & Found Parade in gym (8:00-3:30) (last chance to go through lost & found)
- May 23: Celebrations of Learning (1st, 3rd & 4th Grades)
- May 23: PTA Spirit Night at Jimmy Changas
- May 24: Celebrations of Learning (Kindergarten, 2nd & 5th Grades)
- May 26: 5th Grade Celebration
- May 27 & 30: Holidays-No School (Students & Staff)
- May 31-June 2: No lunch visitors this week
- June 1: 5th Grade versus Teacher Volleyball Game
- June 2: 5th Grade Clap-Out @ 12:20
- June 2: Early Dismissal @ 12:40 PM & LAST DAY OF SCHOOL! (report cards go home)
Learning Taking Place
Reading COA: None
Writing Unit: Author research
Writing on Demand: None
Grammar and Convention: Prepositions and Prepositional phrases
Test Date: May 13, 2016
HFW: Word List Sent home on January 08, 2016. The word list has all the words from the beginning of the year until the end of the year. The list identifies each nine weeks words. Please study words with students. Please study continue to study all the previous nine weeks and work on the fourth nine weeks words. Thank you all you do.
Word Study:-un, -dis, -re, -ly, -less, -ful
Test Date: May 20, 2016
- Study guide sent home . Please review with your child. If lost or misplaced, please go to the second grade website to obtain a new one. Please Keep this study guide, it has the information on the upcoming sounds until the end of the school year. It is front to back. Thank you.
DAILY SNACKS REMINDER
NOTE: Parents, please provide your child with snacks daily. If students does not have a snack, a snack is not provided for him/her. Thank you for assisting your child with bring in his/her snack.
Please Schedule a Conference with Mrs. Bornowski and Mrs. Kelley
Dear Parent(s) and/or Guardian(s) ,
Please schedule a conference with Mrs. Bornowski and myself if you have not met with us or would like to meet with us again. Please click on the link below and submit your request. Thank you for your cooperation.
Mrs. Kelley and Mrs. Bornowski
Important Notice: Homework will be graded. It is 10% of a student grade.
Late Homework will have points deducted, it will not receive full credit.
If students are in need of a new reading log or homework assignment, please go to our second grade website http://staff.katyisd.org/sites/ce2/Pages/ELA-homework.aspx. The reading log/reading rubric homework is attached to the website or have your child pick one up from the classroom. Thank you for assisting me with matter.
The second grade team has changed our homework. This change will remain until the end of the year. Students were given a folder and inside the folder is a reading log, reading rubric and six sticky notes on the back of the reading rubric. Students are to read their books from the school's library and write their thinking about the book. The folder has examples inside the folder (the yellow sheet of paper) the folder also has stems students could use to write their thinking, and directions inside the folder to assist you and your child with their reading homework. Students have been learning how to write about their thinking on sticky notes since school has started, so this assignment is something students know how to do and is able to explain to you. Students that are reading chapter books do not have to complete the chapter book before next Friday. This assignment is allowing students to read and think about their reading not how fast someone can finish a book. If students are reading a chapter book, they can use this book for each Friday until the book is complete. This is teaching students to enjoy their reading and think while they are reading. Students will only return the reading rubric every Friday and will be given a new reading rubric and sticky notes every Friday.
Students are to read for 20 minutes daily. Please write the date, write the title of book, and how many times the book(s) have been read in the tally mark section.
Best Practice for thin books: Please have students read the same book more than once. One of the best strategies for readers is to reread their books. Rereading builds fluency and understanding. Each time a student reads a book, they will get more meaning out of it. The first reading is to become familiar with the text. The second reading is focused on comprehension. The third reading is for the student to be able to retell. Please tally mark each time the book was read. Also, write down that the book was read at home in the home/school section.
Homework is given every Friday and due the next Friday . If your child lost their homework, please go to the second grade website to get a copy of the reading rubric homework and the reading log. Thank you
Homework Due Date: 5/20/2016
Thank you for assisting your child with their homework.
All library books were due back to the library by April 15, 2016. Please have your child return his/her book(s) soon to the library. The library is closed for the rest of the school due to construction of the school. Fortunately, we have our local library to assist us with our reading. Please read below to find the information on our local library.
Parent if you want your child to read many different books, please visit our public library at:
5414 Franz Rd, Katy, TX 77493