This Is How We Lakeview
February Edition: Volume 4
Earlier this week, the Board of Education was presented with the Transition to Green (ALL hybrid students return to school full time) date of April 5th. Please see the article below for more details. In the coming weeks, I will be highlighting portions of the plan so that students and families will know what to expect.
Reminder for COHORT A students, you will be making up the last snow day this coming week on Wednesday, March 3rd. If your student is cohort A, please plan on them being in school that day. Bussing will be provided.
Monday evening, we will be having our virtual parent scheduling meeting at 7:30 pm. The links for our parent meetings are in the scheduling timeline as well as linked above. I will send out a reminder with the links on Monday as well. If you cannot attend the recordings will be posted after the meeting has ended. Thanks to all the parents and students that have started the scheduling process, I have been emailing students and parents, if there are any issues that I have found so please look for these emails.
CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR FEBRUARY STUDENTS OF THE MONTH!
Each month, a small group of students are nominated by Lakeview’s staff to represent our building as the Students of the Month. These students don’t just uphold our Lakeview Values (Respect Yourself, Respect Others, Respect School, Respect Learning), they go above and beyond as role models and leaders within the school community. We would like to take a moment to congratulate the following Student of the Month winners for February:
Winner Queen Mbabu
Thank you for being excellent leaders and role models for others. We appreciate your hard work!
Transition to Green Status Timeline Released
Chief Academic Officer/Asst. Superintendent Dr. Sabrina Woodruff presented an overview of PLSD’s “Transition to Green Status Plan” to the Board of Education during their Feb. 22 regular meeting. As part of the overview, Woodruff shared a timeline of activities leading up to the return of five-day in-person instruction on April 5, after Spring Break. Some of the finer details are still in development including summer school and extended day opportunities, as well as Virtual Learning Academy options for next school year. You may watch the full presentation as part of the meeting, which was live streamed on PLSD Communication’s YouTube channel.
The timeline includes general principles, the rationale for return, general health and safety measures, and more. You can download an abbreviated timeline of the slidedeck above here: Transition to Green Plan (pdf). | Transition to Green Plan (RTF) or keep scrolling on this webpage for more information about all PLSD status levels.
Additionally, you can find information such as student and staff COVID impact rates on a weekly basis on our COVID-19 Dashboards webpage, or by clicking the big blue “COVID-19 Dashboards” button at the top of this webpage.
Scheduling information for CURRENT 7th GRADE students
It's Scheduling Time - Welcome to the Hub!
It's time to schedule classes for the 2021-22 school year. We created a Scheduling Hub for students and families so you can find everything you need to register for classes at the Junior Highs all in one place. Check out the Junior High Scheduling Hub to find course descriptions, placement explanations, "How to" guides, and more!
Explore the Hub and make sure you watch the Welcome Video and the How to Schedule video - and don't forget to take a look at the Scheduling Timeline we sent out last week for important dates you don't want to miss!
If you still have questions after you've checked out all the resources and information in the Scheduling Hub, find the Google Form at the bottom of the Hub to ask your school counselors and principals.
The scheduling window will be open from Monday, February 22 to Friday, March 12.
Link for the 6th grade Parent Meeting - this will be the same link for the recording once the meeting is over
Link for the 7th grade Parent Meeting - this will be the same link for the recording once the meeting is over
8th GRADE students going to PICKERINGTON HIGH SCHOOL NORTH for 2021-2022 school year
The high school has created a Scheduling Hub with links, videos and all the information that you need to schedule your 8th grader for high school. I have also attached the scheduling timeline (with updated links for some Google meets run by the high school counselors) for our current 8th grade students to schedule courses for Pickerington High School North.
If you missed the virtual parent meeting this past Wednesday, the link to the recording is below. The window to start scheduling will open the evening of Sunday, February 28th.
Please feel free to email me, firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Parent-teacher conferences start next week
We will have evening parent-teacher conferences on Thursday, March 4th, and Tuesday, March 9th. Teachers will be scheduling conferences from 3:40-7:00 pm on these days. All parent-teacher conferences will be held virtually this year. Please reach out to one of your student's team teachers to schedule a conference with the entire team. Electives teachers are also available for conferences; you can either request them to attend the conference with the team or schedule a separate time to meet with them.
Track and Field Practice starts Monday
Attached is the Final Forms link
The Dentist is coming to school!
Pickerington Local School District has partnered with Ohio Dental Outreach to offer you in-school dental care. Ohio Dental Outreach will be at our school on Monday, March 22nd and Thursday, March 25th. A form will be going home with you student or you can fill it out online at www.MySchoolDentist.com. If you have any questions please email the school nurse (email@example.com).
Virtual Community Coffee Chat with Dr. Briggs and Treasurer Ryan Jenkins
This year has come with many challenges for our families and our schools. Join Superintendent Chris Briggs and Treasurer Ryan Jenkins for coffee from wherever you are on March 2 at 12:30-1:30 PM to talk about what’s on your mind.
Dr. Briggs and Mr. Jenkins will also share about the future of Pickerington Schools and answer questions about the District’s bond issue on the May 4 ballot. This issue was placed on the ballot by the Board of Education as part of the Facility Plan for Progress to construct a new junior high building and update and create additional learning and extracurricular spaces to meet the needs of our growing community.
The Zoom link to join the meeting will be sent out closer to March 2. We hope to see you there!
The Community Corner
- Cohort A’s Change Chat about leadership and goal setting took place this past Tuesday. Similar to Cohort B, students discussed who they view as leaders, what makes those people leaders, and what drives leaders to make a difference. Students began to discuss how many of us have leadership qualities within us, as many of the same things that drive leaders, drive us, too.
- Seventh-grade students have the opportunity to apply to serve on the Lakeview Leadership Team next year. The application is available to all 7th-grade students through their team’s Google Classroom page, so even if your student did not attend the most recent Change Chat and is interested in applying, they have access to the application. Students can apply through the end of the school day on Friday, March 12. Students can see Mr. Max or Mr. Baptist with any questions.
- Families, if you have any ideas about what we could do in the building to support our students, staff, and families regarding their sense of belonging to the school community, please use the Family Feedback Form (linked below). As our students have heard throughout the year, our number-one goal is that every single one of our students, staff, and families feel welcomed and valued.
The EVOLV project took a short break due to snow days and the busy life of Lakeview, but will return with updates soon! Your students now have access to the 'Counselor Corner' google classroom, which gives them the option to answer EVOLV questions through a google form. The google form will still be anonymous so their identifying information will only be available to the counseling team. This option will allow more students to share their voice and provide alternative options when in-person participation is unavailable. The Counselor Corner will also have weekly mental health resources and tips, as well as a counselor request form for students to use when they would like to see a counselor for any other academic or social and emotional needs. New EVOLV parent updates will be posted in the parent newsletter as there is more student participation and updates become available. Thank you for your students' strong voices!
Updates from the Family Feedback Form
- One positive seems to be that families appreciate the virtual attendance reminders around noon each day. We’re glad to hear that this is helping!
- One suggestion is that they should be opportunities for VLA students to engage in “social hour” Google Meet sessions. It’s a great idea. Earlier this year, some VLA teachers offered Town Hall meetings, and those were intended to be more discussion-based, social check-ins, rather than academic meets. We will pass along the suggestion to the VLA staff and see what more they have planned.
- A concern came in regarding the amount of work assigned weekly and when assignments are posted. Some assignments, like assessments, are not necessarily posted on Monday due to the nature of the task (test, quiz, etc.). For any concerns/questions about assigned work, please feel free to contact the teacher(s), as they will be able to respond with specific information and answers.
The Lakeview Family Feedback Form
Sign up for Meals on Virtual Days
Breakfast and lunch are free for ALL students on their virtual days!
The deadline to sign up for the week is Monday by 10am. If you would like to receive breakfast and lunch for the days your student is virtual, please click on the correct link to sign up. Remember that you need to sign up for this every week.
Virtual Learning Academy link - https://forms.gle/GDUD99SzVPxeKmG66
Cohort A link https://forms.gle/M3tMsDDnUdk12PWq8
Cohort B link https://forms.gle/51mAnzb5Mqbjs9Xv7