News from Carl Sandburg Junior High
July 12, 2021
A Note from Mrs. Johansen
I hope this newsletter finds you enjoying summer and all that it has to offer. I am excited to be back in Rolling Meadows and working at Sandburg. I look forward to reconnecting/meeting you and your children as we get closer to school starting.
Over the past few weeks, I've been busy getting myself acclimated in the school office and with the Sandburg staff. As I've met with staff, we all agree that the past year and a half has been the most challenging of our careers and we cannot wait to have students back in the building this August!
We know how challenging last year was for parents and students, as well. If there is anything we can do to support you and your child through this transition, please reach out! As we are working on plans to start the year, we will be allocating time to support the socio-emotional needs of our students, as well as getting to work academically.
You can anticipate that you will receive newsletters from me twice a month to keep you informed about school events and important reminders. This is in addition to our social media sites that will have more frequent posts. You can find us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter @CSJHWildcats
A few weeks ago, Mrs. Lodl sent a google form to all parents requesting t-shirt sizes for our students. If you have not completed this form, please do so. We are ordering new t-shirts for students to start the year and we want to make sure we make the correct order. Please complete this form today. https://forms.gle/SqtaXyzo4EMfpji69
Included in this newsletter is some important information from our school nurse, Mrs. Annerino, about required paperwork for the Health Office. Additionally, we have information about learning opportunities and resources for support, as needed.
I'm very excited for the 21-22 to begin and so grateful that you are "One of Us".
Have a wonderful week,
A note from the Sandburg PTSA
The CSJH PTSA nominating committee is sharing the following slate of volunteers to fill the Executive Board positions for the 21-22 school year. We will be meeting at 6:00 on Wednesday, July 14th to officially install these positions. The meeting will be virtual through Google Meets. Please email Mrs. Johansen if you'd like to attend this meeting. firstname.lastname@example.org
CoPresident Nicole Runnion
CoPresident Rachel Jacobsen
Treasury Sandy Clemons
Secretary/Communication Rebecca Quint
After Wednesday's meeting, we will send a list out to the Sandburg community with volunteer opportunities to help support our school and the PTSA. We look forward to giving everyone a chance to get involved in our school events.
A note from the Sandburg Health Office
I hope everyone is enjoying their summer so far! With the start of the new school year only 6 weeks away, it is time to make sure your child’s health requirements are up to date.
- Annual health examinations are required for interscholastic sports participation. Physical exams are required- before trying out- for participation in an interscholastic sport. The exam form, completed and signed by a doctor, must be dated within 13 months prior to the start of practice or tryouts, and on file in the school nurse's office. Physical forms are available in the school office, online, and here: Certificate of Child Health Examination.
- All students new to District 15 will require a current physical exam with all immunizations up to date (Certificate of Child Health Examination), and students new to the State of Illinois will require an eye examination. This form is available in the school office, online, and here: State of Illinois Eye Examination Report.
- All students must provide proof of immunizations by October 15, 2021, or the student will be excluded from school. The list of current immunizations can be found on the district website here: IDPH Health Requirements.
- Students with health conditions such as asthma, epilepsy/seizures, severe allergies, and diabetes require the emergency action plan completed by their physician along with the Medication Administration Forms, signed by the physician and parent, for any medications required at school. Please bring these forms and medications on or before the first day of school. These forms are available in the school office, online, and here
- Asthma Action Plan
- Seizure Action Plan
- Allergy Emergency Action Plan
- Medication Administration Form
- Diabetic Medical Management Plans must be brought in along with medication and supplies prior to or on the first day of school in order for the student to attend.
If your child requires any of these health documents and you have not done so already, please make an appointment with your doctor as soon as possible.
If you have any questions regarding the above requirements, you may reach me at email@example.com. I will be back in the office the first week of August to answers any phone calls.
Stay safe and enjoy the rest of your summer!
Keep Learning Going this Summer!
Summer Reading at our Local Libraries
To help students continue to enjoy books all summer, please consider participating, if you have not already done so, in one (or all) of the library reading programs listed below:
Palatine Public Library- Reading Colors Your World Summer Reading Program
Arlington Heights Memorial Library- 2021 Summer Reading Challenge
Rolling Meadows Library- Reading Colors Your World Summer Reading Program
Schaumburg/Hoffman Estates- Reading Colors Your World Summer Reading Program
Students Heading into Fifth - Eighth Grade Access to ALEKS
ALEKS is a dynamic and individualized online math program that is provided to support students so they are able to master math skills and/or access enrichment during the summer. Participation and use of ALEKS is optional but beneficial in minimizing “summer learning slide.”
Students will access their account by clicking on the following link https://www.aleks.com. Students will Self-Register with the appropriate 10-character class code for their grade level during the 2020-2021 school year.
Upcoming Dates to Remember
- July 14th- CSJH PTSA Meeting- Virtual at 6:00
- August 11th- D15 Board of Education Meeting
- August 16th and 17th- August Institute Days/No Student Attendance
- August 17th- Walk Your Schedule Day (8th grade- 12:30-1:15, 7th grade 1:30-2:30)
- August 18th- First Day of School
- September 9th- Parent Orientation
DISTRICT 15 HELPLINE NOW AVAILABLE
Do you need help and are not sure who to contact? Do you have concerns or worries about yourself or others? The District 15 helpline is only a call or text away Monday-Thursday from 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Our student services staff are available during these stressful times. Call or text:
Calls or texts received outside of these hours will be answered the following workday. You can reach out about multiple topics, including but not limited to:
Social or emotional concerns;
Resources such as food, housing and transportation; or
Ideas on how to support your child