Spanish Bilingual Collection
Northwest AEA Adds eBook Bilingual Collection
Northwest AEA just added a bilingual collection to our StarWalk KidsMedia collection of eBooks. The collection is designed to support English Language Learners in the acquisition of academic vocabulary in both English and Spanish. The collection will also enable both English and Spanish speaking students to learn the same Standards-aligned content together. The eBooks are narrated by native language speakers for both languages. Content is primarily informational and you will find titles on science, biography, poetry and historical fiction. The age group targeted is K-3. The book information page for each bilingual book offers both languages simultaneously and students can choose to read the book in English or Spanish with just a single click. The collection includes 93 narrated eBooks and 44 paired English/Spanish editions. The following video will provide an overview.
Preview our Spanish Bilingual Collection
The easiest way for students to access the bilingual collection is through MackinVia.
- Login with your Iowa AEA Online username and password OR the username/password used to access the student's individual backpack account.
- Once you are in MackinVia, click on the databases link found on the left side of the page.
- Scroll down the list of available databases and choose StarWalk Kids Bilingual Collection. Go ahead and open the database. You will not need to login again.
- To access the bilingual titles, click on the English + Espanol button.
- Select a title. When you do, you'll notice that both the English and Spanish version of the book are available.
You can also find directions on accessing this resource in this Google Doc.
Begin at Northwest's AEA Online Resources page.
- Scroll to the very bottom of the page. Click on the StarWalk KidsMedia link.
- Use your Iowa AEA Online username/password to access the database.
- Click on the blue log in button.
- From the first page, click on the green find books button.
- On the left side of the page, you'll find advanced search. Scroll down until you see the filter by option. Select the English + Espanol filter.
- Scroll down to the end of the advanced search options and click on the blue search button.
- Select a title. Again both the English and Spanish versions of the book will appear.
- What makes this "version" of the collection different is the addition of downloadable instructional materials that correlate with CSSS. The teaching links are for both the English and Spanish titles.
This Google Doc provides more detailed directions on accessing this resource.