Volume 1, Issue 26 - March 2, 2018
This week I want to share with you an article from a well-known local psychiatrist, Dr. Laine Young-Walker, where she offers advise about how to talk to teens about mental health. Often, as parents, we are worried about our kids feelings but do not know how to start the conversation; I hope this article will help in the process!
March 5-9, 2018 is Multicultural Week at Gentry Middle School. Gentry will be celebrating our different cultures and diversities all week long with different lessons and activities in advisory. On Friday, we will culminate our week by having 5 different multicultural presentations with outside presenters as well as some of our Gentry students being involved. All students will be able to see the 5 presentations on Friday morning.
Aladdin Jr. Performance
Our next PTSA meeting will be held on Tuesday, March 6th at 6pm in the Media Center. We will have a guest speaker, Anna Munson, Columbia Public Schools CFO , to discuss and answer any questions regarding the upcoming bond issue. As this is a "hot topic" within our school district and community, we encourage all to attend. Hope to see you there!
The Columbia Board of Education has called a special election on Tuesday, April 3, 2018, to submit a proposal for a $30 million no-tax-rate-increase bond issue to Columbia voters. The bond issue proposal requires a 57 percent approval. More Bond Election information: https://www.cpsk12.org/bondelection2018
- Q&A: https://www.cpsk12.org/cms/lib/MO01909752/Centricity/Domain/70/QA2018%20Bond.pdf
- 10-year Facility and Bond Plan: https://www.cpsk12.org/cms/lib/MO01909752/Centricity/Domain/70/10-year%20Plan%20040318.pdf
- Presentation: https://www.cpsk12.org/cms/lib/MO01909752/Centricity/Domain/70/Bond%20Presentation%20040318.pdf
End of the Year Events
May 1st - Incoming 6th Grade Get Acquainted Night 6:00-7:30 pm - Gym
May 9th - 8th Grade Field Trip to City Museum in St. Louis, MO
May 15-16th - 8th Grade Finals
May 16th - 7th Grade End of the Year Award Ceremony 8:30-10:00 am - Gym
May 17th - 8th Grade Transition Ceremony & End of the Year Awards 8:30-10:00 am - Gym
May 17th - 6th Grade End of the Year Awards Ceremony 1:00-2:30 pm - Gym
May 22nd - 6th/7th Grade Talent Show in the Cafetorium - Time TBD
May 22nd - 8th Grade Talent Show in the Cafetorium - Time TBD
***Please, note that the events for 8th grade have changed this year, and instead of an in town field trip and a dance, we are only doing an out of town field trip!
RBHS Volleyball for Rising 8th Grade Students
RBHS will be hosting a player/parent volleyball informational meeting on Wednesday, March 7th at 6:30 pm in the Rock Bridge H.S. commons. Current 8th grade students who are interested in participating in Rock Bridge volleyball next year are strongly encouraged to attend. At this meeting the volleyball coach will provide important details on spring and summer workouts, camps and tournaments. Please contact Aaron Kincaid if you have further any questions. Akincaid@cpsk12.org Go Bruins!
Drop Off/Pick Up Procedures
Some of our parents and students have not been following our drop off/pick up procedures, placing their students and others at risk (and slowing things down!). Please, read below for a refresher!
- Pull up as far as you can in front of the building to drop off your student, to make room for other cars
- Encourage your student to get off the car as soon as you are close to the curve (not necessarily in front of the building!)
- All students must be picked up or dropped off by the curb. If you park in the lot, escort your child to and from the car. Do not let your student out of the car if you are in the left hand lane!
- Cars may begin entering the bus area at 7:20am
- Students must be in their classroom no later than 7:30am. Plan accordingly.
- Pick up your student(s) no later than 3:00pm, unless they are staying for a supervised after-school activity.
- Parents need to make arrangements with their students ahead of time for pick up. Make sure you communicate with them if they are to ride the bus or wait to be picked up. If you need to call the office to change arrangements it must be done before 2:00pm.
Thank you for your cooperation!
- This is a reminder that if your student will ride the bus home with a friend arrangements need to be made in advance, and the student needs to bring a written note to school stating that they have your permission to ride the bus. Please include in your note: the date your child will be riding, who your child will be riding with, and student’s bus number. We cannot allow students to ride the bus without the written note, therefore a phone call will not suffice for permission. Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.
Dates to Remember
March 6 - PTSA Meeting
March 9 - Multicultural Day
March 13 - Musical Assemblies
March 14 - 8th Grade EEE Field Trip
March 15 - 8th Grade Orchestra Festival at Battle
March 15 - AVID College Visit
March 15 - 6th Grade Elective Rotation
March 16 - IPR's go home
March 15-17 - Aladdin Jr. Performance
For practices and games check Gentry website!