The Starside Communication - February 5, 2016
A Message From Your Principal
Greetings, Starside Families!
It was such a pleasure to host another successful "Coffee with Kris" community event. Thank you to those of you who were in attendance. Our conversation was insightful and I appreciate your feedback and ideas for making Starside the best school it can be.
As an educator, I have always enjoyed the month of February. It brings the community into our building through Parent/Teacher conferences, Valentine's Day parties, Bingo Night, and more! It also means the end of winter is near and Spring Break is around the corner! February also tends to be a time where our students seem restless and more emotional; likely due to a lack of vitamin D from not being outside in the sunshine.
As we move through third quarter, our teachers have been encouraged to use "brain breaks" throughout the day and take walks around the building to get our blood flowing. Mrs. Cook, Starside's PE teacher extraordinaire, is leading our school in Jump Rope for Heart activities throughout this month. Many medical reports link physical fitness to increased school performance. Students who remain active throughout their schooling years often exhibit increased academic achievement and social/emotional health. At home, please encourage your child to get up and be active! Ask them to share the activities they have learned about movement and heart health at school.
Notes from the Lunchroom
- 10 - NO SCHOOL for Kinder and Pre-K - Conferences
- 11 - NO SCHOOL for all Students - Parent Teacher Conferences
- 12 - NO SCHOOL for Students and Staff - Building Closed
- 15 - NO SCHOOL for Students and Staff - President's Day
- 16 - Classes Resume
- 16 - Spring Pictures
- 26 - Bingo Night
- 10 - End of Third Quarter
- 11 - No school for all students-1/2 Professional In-Service; 1/2 Teacher Workday
- 3/14/16 (Monday) - 3/18/16 (Friday) - No School for all Students and Staff - Building Closed - SPRING BREAK!
- 21- Start of Fourth Quarter - Classes Resume
Notes from the Lunchroom
- Please send lunch money in an envelope with your child's name and classroom teacher especially if you are sending cash.
- If you would like to eat lunch with your child just give us a call in the morning by 9:00 and we can order a school lunch for you. Of course, you are always welcome to bring something else to eat.
- Lunch prices--$2.25 student/$3.45 adult/$.50 extra milk/juice.
- If you have more than one child at SE, please be specific about how much money should be applied to each child's account. Please include teachers name as well. Thank you!
- Please report absences by 9:00 am at 913-667-6279
- Report absences online at http://bit.ly/1PtJPle
- Extended absence form: If you will be taking your child out of school for more than 3 days, you will need to fill out an extended absence form. You're child's teacher and Mrs. Meyer will sign the form. Please give your child's teacher plenty of notice to get homework together.
- Early pick-ups If you will be picking your child up early, please let us know as soon as possible. We will let the teacher know and will call your child to the office as soon as you arrive.
- If possible, please pick your child up no later than 3:35. After 3:35, the teachers are getting ready for dismissal and it can get very hectic.
Teacher Appreciation Meal for Conferences
Hello Starside parents! Each year the PTA, with parent support, provides a meal for our hard working teachers who are at the school all day for conferences. This is an easy way to show our appreciation for everything they do each day for our children. This year we will be providing a soup supper for the staff on Wednesday, February 10th. Below is a link to the Sign Up Genius if you are able to donate something for the meal. Thank you so much for all of the ways you support the kids and staff of Starside!
Valentines Day Parties
Pre-school AM: 10:30-11:30 Pre-school PM 2:30-3:30
AM Kindergarten: 11:00-11:30
All day Kinder: 3:00 - 3:30
Valentine parties for Grades 1-5 are Wednesday, February 10th @ 3:00 - 3:30.
Thank you to all of our parent volunteers for your generosity of time, talents and treats to make these celebrations happen!
Thank you for remembering that the parties are intended for our Starside Elementary students of attendance only. Parent (or approved high school) volunteers are welcome, however, coordination through PTA is appreciated so that we don't overload any of the classrooms. We do not have babysitting services during parties, so please make other arrangements for siblings if you intend to attend.
Community Service Day!
Starside's "Community Service Day" is Thursday, February 11th from 1-3:00 pm (this is a day that students DO NOT have school) Parents and guardians are responsible for providing transportation to and from Starside.
9 pounds of pop tabs already!! Keep up the good work!
- All orders due by March 4th, 2016
- Students will ONLY receive a yearbook if they have purchased one by March 4th, 2016!
- All students will receive an autograph page for friends to sign.
Community Service Day!
Spring and Class Pictures!!
Opportunity for extra cash!
Looking for a way to earn some extra cash while your students are in school? The Student Nutrition department is looking for people to work in our kitchens under a substitute capacity. Hours would be approximately 10am – 2pm and days are flexible. If you are interested in this opportunity, please apply online at the link below.
Director of Student Nutrition
USD 232 De Soto
(t) 913.667.6200 | (f) 913.667.6202