"Everyone teaches, everyone learns"- Anonymous
- November 5th- Day Light Savings Time Ends (Fall Back)
- November 6th- Last Day to Withdraw from classes!
- November 6th through the 10th- TRiO Spirit Week (See details below)
- November 13th through 15th- Staff Out of Office, contact CEHD Advising Office for Emergencies
- November 22nd- Thanksgiving Recess begins at Noon
- November 29th- Annual TRiO FESP Fall Potluck (See details below)
Fall 2017 CEHD Scholarship Recipients
TRiO FESP Participants were awarded over $35,000 worth of scholarships. Congratulations to:
- Haley Crowton - Margaret Isobel Black Scholarship
- Chelsea Chambos, Marina Garber, and Arlene Wright - Lofton and Georgiann Burge Scholarship for Undergraduates in Elementary Education
- John Wendland - Patricia A. Chisholm Endowment for Theatre Education and Elsie Komm Maile Scholarship
- Meghan Wisner - Velma and Harry Cotterill Endowment for the College of Education and Human Development
- Kourtlynn Peiffer, Taylor Scholz, and Arlene Wright - Frank and Zora Ellsworth Scholarship
- Alexis Barker - Forgave-Anderson Scholarship
- Heather Dolegowski, Charnae' Hunter, Ella Nichelson, and Dawnantoni Riley - Fund for the Advancement of Minorities in Education Scholarship
- Alexis Barker - Alfred Griffin Scholarship
- Olivia Smith - Lucille J. Haines Endowed Scholarship
- Heather Dolegowski - Lagore Scholarship for Secondary Education-English
- Amanda Ball - Beulah and Harold McKee Scholarship in Early Childhood Education
- Ashley Jones-Stewart - Marcia Vincent and Avis Leo "Mike" Sebaly Scholarship
- Alexis Chie, Ashlee Thompson, Colleen Webb, and John Wendland - Samuel Kenneth Smart, Jr. Scholarship
- Dawnantoni Riley - Bess L. Stinson Scholarship
- Jessica Parshall - Merze Tate Scholarship
- Kyra Kuriata - Mabel Blough Thompson Endowed Scholarship
- Victor Carrington Taylor - WMU Future Educator Program
Graduate School Retreat
(Picture -left to right: Stephanie LePoudre, Nicci Harris, Taris Smith, Taylor Scholz, Dawn Riley, Rachel Mayhawk, and Heather Dolegowski)
TRiO Spirit Week 11/6-11/10
Annual TRiO FESP Fall Potluck
Wednesday, Nov. 29th, 11am-1pm
TRiO FESP Office
Taco Bar- Fall Potluck
The TRiO FESP Office will host their 2nd Annual Fall Potluck Wednesday, November 29, 2017 from 11-1 pm in the TRiO FESP office. This will be a taco bar style lunch. Please make sure you RSVP for the event by November 24, 2017 at 5 pm. If you sign up to bring a dessert, condiment, or drink that will count as your RSVP. If you are just joining us for the meal, you can still submit your RSVP through this form: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090b4bacad2ba4fc1-taco
PLEASE BE MINDFUL OF FOOD ALLERGIES (WE DO HAVE TRIO FESP PARTICIPANTS ALLERGIC TO PEANUTS AND APPLES)
TRiO FESP Grant Aid
How to apply: Starting November 7, 2017 applications can be picked up in the TRiO FESP office or you can request an electronic copy by emailing email@example.com. Freshman in FYE will be completing this in class.
Application Due Date for NON-FYE participants: December 31, 2017
(Photo: Jamie Marcyan and Nicci Harris)
How to Apply: Applications can be found on their website:
One student in the EOA region will be awarded $1000 toward their educational needs. The Emerging Leader Institute (ELI) Scholarship fund was established in collaboration with the EOA Emerging Leaders Institute and the EOA Foundation (EOA). Since 2002, select EOA ELI cohorts have fundraised each year for student scholarships.
One $1000 Emerging Leader Institute Scholarship will be available in 2017. This is a one time, non-renewable scholarship.
The student applicant must meet the following criteria to apply:
a) Be a current TRIO student within the EOA region (Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio, and Wisconsin);
b) Be enrolled in a two-year or four-year post-secondary institution for the upcoming academic year or anticipated enrollment for current high school seniors;
c) Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale; and
d) Demonstrate strong leadership abilities in their community and/or advocacy efforts in their TRIO community.
- The applicant must submit a completed student application with an essay and TRIO Nomination form;
- Nominees must be in a TRIO program that resides in the EOA region;
- The nominator must be a current EOA member. (Confirmed by Chapter Membership and Credentials Chair).
Each Chapter Scholarship Committee will select a semi-finalist for their respective chapter. The EOA Scholarship Committee will have a panel of readers to select the finalist for the current year award. Please contact your state chapter’s website, EOA website and/or state chapter scholarship chair for scholarship timeline and eligibility.
Questions? Contact your state chapter scholarship chair or Tameka Herrion, EOA scholarship chair at firstname.lastname@example.org or (314) 880-4960.
Submissions for the 2017-18 Academic year open November 1, 2017 and close January 15th, 2018. To be considered you must have submitted your FASFA (Federal Student Aid) application. Please check out the website for additional details about ALL of the CEHD available scholarships.
WMU Endowed Scholarships: http://wmich.edu/finaid/scholarships-grants/endowments
Currently open for submissions and will close February 15, 2018. Criteria and amounts vary by scholarship. Please check out the website for additional details.
Other Scholarship Opportunities: The following websites vary in criteria, amounts, and requirements. Please talk to your TRiO FESP advisor if you need assistance.
Kalamazoo Community Foundation: http://www.kalfound.org/Scholarships/Scholarships/tabid/229/Default.aspx
JLV College Scholarships:
Upcoming SAT Registration Dates
- Register by November 2nd to take the SAT on December 2nd, 2017
- Register by February 9th to take the SAT on March 10th, 2018
- Register by April 6th to take the SAT on May 5th, 2018
- Register by May 3rd to take the SAT on Jun 2nd, 2018
SAT Prep books and study guides are available in the TRiO FESP Office. Contact your advisor if you aren't sure which sections you need to take.
What's Happening Around Campus?
- November 2nd- Flu Shot Clinic in the Bernhard Center, Room 107 (10 a.m. - 2 p.m.)
- November 2nd through the 8th- Dia de los Muertos Alter in Waldo Library, 2nd Floor (9 a.m. - 5 p.m.)
- November 3rd- University Theatre: "The Crucible" in Williams Theatre (7:30 p.m.)
- November 4th- Bronco Hockey v. Denver at Lawson Ice Arena (7:05 p.m.)
- November 6th through the 10th- TRiO Spirit Week (See the flyer above for details)
- November 8th- Bronco Football v. Kent State at Waldo Stadium (7:00 p.m.)
- November 16th- University Theatre: "The Game's Afoot" in Shaw Theatre (7:30 p.m.)
- November 18th- Bronco Hockey v. Omaha at Lawson Ice Arena (7:05 p.m.)
- November 19th- Concert: University Symphonic and Concert Band in Miller Auditorium (3:00 p.m.)
- November 25th- Bronco Hockey v. Colgate at Lawson Ice Arena (7:05 p.m.)
- November 29th- Annual TRiO FESP Fall Potluck (11 a.m. - 1 p.m.)
- November 30th- University Theatre: "Next Stop Broadway" in the Williams Theatre (7:30 p.m.)
See the full list of University Events here: https://wmich.edu/news/events