Fall Creek Intermediate - November 12, 2017
Note: The next Falcon Flyer will be sent out December 3rd.
First Boys' Home Basketball Game - Permission Slips Due 11/13
Come cheer on the boys' basketball team in their opening game of the season against Riverside Intermediate on Dec. 1st. @ 3:15pm. This is a student stay-after school game as it starts at 3:15pm. Students must have tickets purchased by 11/13 to be stay after school on Wed. 11/15. If they do not have their ticket purchased by then, they may come back to the game but must go home first.
Please return this Permission Slip with $1 due by MONDAY, 11/13
No texting at school!!
**Note: Students who do not follow this procedure and text parents will receive lunch detention. This has been shared with students since the beginning of the school year in both the handbook and on announcements.
Volunteers Needed - First Boys' Home Basketball Game - 11/15
The Fall Creek Falcons boys basketball team is playing SCI on Wednesday, November 15th at 3:15PM at FCI. This is a game where a lot of students stay after school to cheer on their classmates! We are looking for volunteers to help with concession stands during the game (as well as set up before the game). If you would like to help, use the link below to sign up for a time that works for you. If you have a child needing volunteer hours, it is OK for them to volunteer as well.
VOLUNTEER SIGN UP:
When you arrive, meet at the main concession stand (outside the cafeteria) and someone can direct you where to go (there will be 2 stands in the gym in addition to the main concession stand).
FCI Night with the Pacers - Orders Due 12/6
Looking for an gift idea for the holidays for someone? We have the perfect opportunity!
You are invited to participate in a Lucas Oil Family Night with the Indiana Pacers. Invite your friends and family as we sit together as a group and receive a special discounted ticket price! Additionally, a portion of each ticket purchased gets donated right back to Fall Creek Intermediate School!
By purchasing tickets through this offer, you will also:
✓ Receive a FREE Gift (Pacers Branded Hat)
✓ Receive a food voucher for a hot dog, chips, & Pepsi product
✓ See your group’s name in lights on the LED ribbon board at halftime
✓ Have an opportunity to shoot a free throw on the main floor after the game
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Nickie Caffee' Robinson @ Nickie@nickiecmakeup.com.
Indiana Pacers vs. Orlando Magic
Saturday, January 27th, 2018
Click here for the order for and more information. Ticket order deadline is 12/6. The tickets will be mailed to you by the Pacers before Christmas.
Drone Academy Applications - Due by 11/17
Does your student have what it takes to be a Top Drone pilot and navigate our suspended obstacle course? Does your student have the ‘Right Stuff’ to perform a midair docking with the International Space Station? Can your student take photographic evidence of the illusive Yeti? If your student is selected as a member of our FCI “Top Drone” flight school, they will be challenged to navigate their way through demanding missions, perform feats of aerial acrobatics, engineer appendages to their drone, and write code to autonomously fly their aircraft. If your student is interest in applying, click here for the application and more information. Applications are due by 11/17.
Will You Rise to the Challenge on 11/28?
An HSE Schools holiday tradition is right around the corner. Every year, the largest charitable holiday known as #GivingTuesday kicks off the giving season. This special day – designed to restore the spirit of the season – is in direct response to the commercialism of Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
You can help HSE Schools earn up to $26,000 in matching funds from local philanthropists. On 11.28.17, David Becker Family, Allen and Melissa Bourff, Kevin and Shelly Clasen Family, Bud and Karen Colglazier, John and Amy DeLucia, Joe and Florie Eaton, Kevin and Diana Ephlin Family, Bill French, Fritz in Fishers, Michelle and Greg Fullhart, The Henderson Family, Todd and Denise Huston, Walt and Sheila Kelly, John and Kyle Kroehler, Tom Long of Long and Associates CPA, John McDonald, Kurt and Cathy Meyer Family, John and Dorothy Mills, Tracy and Jessica Mills Family, Jodi and Greg Osmun, Mike and Paula Peterson, Terry and Lisa Tolle, Corby Thompson, and anonymous donors are launching an around the clock match every hour of GivingTuesday!
Double your impact on local schools by visiting www.hsefoundation.org to make a donation and proclaim your #HSSFunselfie!
iPad iOS Update
Pearson (the parent testing company for ISTEP and IREAD-3) has approved iOS 11.1 for their testing app. As such, we now recommend that all families update their iPads to iOS 11.1.
If your child is using an iPad 4th generation, please make sure they are on iOS 10.3.3 as it cannot be updated to iOS 11.1. All other (newer) iPads can be updated to iOS 11.1.
For more information on how to update an iPad wirelessly or hardwired via iTunes (popular choice if the iPad is low on space) please see the following link: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204204.
Students with HSE rental iPads will begin to be prompted to update their iPad beginning Wednesday afternoon (if their iPad has not been updated yet).
Should you need any assistance, please feel free to reach out to your child’s school and ask to be connected to the Building Technician.
Hamilton Southeastern Schools
The Second Step program is being used at both the 5th and 6th grade levels. This program aims to protect students from risky behaviors such as bullying, aggression, and substance abuse, while improving their school success.
5th Grade November Lesson: Being assertive
Students will be able to:
- Distinguish differences between passive, assertive, and aggressive communication styles
- Identify and assume the physical and verbal characteristics of assertive communication
- Apply assertive communication skills
6th Grade November Lesson: Responding to Bullying
Students will be able to:
- Recognize and define bullying and bystander behaviors
- Empathize with people who are bullied
- Identify strategies to deal with bullying and help others who are bullied
- Understand how a bystander can be part of the problem or part of the solution
Looking For Guiding All Kids Council Members
As you may have heard, HSE was recently awarded $2.1 million from Lilly Endowment’s counseling initiative. The district is very excited to be pairing up with Guiding All Kids (GAK) in an effort to redesign our school counseling programs. The purpose of Guiding All Kids is to help every student in our school make sound choices in areas that support academic achievement and lead to postsecondary success and productive employment.
FCI is looking for volunteers that would be willing to serve on our GAK council. This commitment would involve coming to one meeting a month, through the end of the school year, to listen to presentations made by our school’s GAK steering committee and then giving feedback/suggestions in regards to our redesign plan. Council members will not have any responsibilities or duties outside of the monthly meeting times. The council will be made up of individuals who care about our community’s young people and our community’s economic development. The council will be a diverse group including parents, teachers, community members, and students hopefully bringing a wide variety of perspectives. We are very excited about this initiative and look forward to working with all of our council members.
If you are interested in being a part of FCI’s Guiding All Kids council please contact John Kozloski by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by using the sign-up link below created by the district office. John will be more than happy to answer any questions you have and/or share additional information with you. When you email your interest please include name, student’s name (if applicable), and any community affiliations you may have (work, organizations, etc). We will be selecting approx. 25 council members randomly from our pool of interested volunteers. Thank you for your consideration.
GAK Sign-up Form - https://goo.gl/gycCnh
Parent Observer accounts can be created by following the below steps. We encourage you to not only follow these steps but also read to the bottom of the website for key information about Canvas and how to use its resources.
1. To begin the online process, you will need your email address, your student's email address and your student's email address password.
- Student email addresses/usernames are set up with the first 5 letters of the student's last name, followed by the first 3 letters of their first name, followed by 000 (3 zeros).
- Student passwords are set up Hse###### - Capitalize the "H", then lowercase the "se", which is then followed by the student ID.
3. The website offers step by step instructions along with a video tutorial for setting up accounts. Scroll down to the section labeled "Canvas Observer Login Link" to get started.
4. The following resources can also be found on the website.
- Canvas Observer Login Link
- Creating Your Parent Observer Account
- Resetting Your Password
- Connecting Multiple Students To Your Account
- Setting Up Notification Accounts
- Editing Notification Preferences
- Editing Language Preference
- Using the Canvas Calendar
- Hamilton Southeastern Schools Canvas Best Practice Minimums 2017-2018
- Overview of Canvas
Please contact your student's teacher with questions and they will assist as best they can.
Gobblers Jog 5K - Thanksgiving Day - 11/23
FCI Teams Up with Goodwill
Fall Creek Intermediate and HSE school district have teamed up with Goodwill to collect donations. HSE schools will receive a Goodwill clothing voucher to distribute to those in need for every 13-gallon bag of gently used clothing received. The FCI bin is located in the music hallway near the display cases.
Thank You FCI Families!!
Halloween Candy Buy-Back Results!!
In an unimaginable turnout, the final result of the Halloween Candy Buy-Back initiative to support our veterans and active service men:
~5th grade brought in 358 lbs candy
~6th grade brought in 299 lbs of candy
For a Grand Total of 657 lbs!!!!
A big thank you goes out to First Internet Bank for taking and sending all of our candy! They were extremely helpful even assisting with the unloading of 657 pounds of candy!!!
Thank you, Falcons!!
Holiday Bazaar at Hoosier Road Elementary - 12/9
Thank You Kroger!!
Want to sign up to support FCI? Follow these instructions.
- Go to www.Kroger.com/communityrewards.
- If you have already created an online account for Kroger, then just “Sign In” to your account. If you haven’t already created an online account, then click on “No Account? Register” to do so.
- Now click the orange button “Enroll Now.” This takes you to your personal Kroger card “Account Summary” page.
- Scroll down towards the bottom to the section called “Community Rewards” and click on its orange “Edit” button. You can then type in FCI’s organization number of 17826 and click “Search.”
- Lastly, select Fall Creek Intermediate PTO and click the orange “Enroll” button.
Hamilton Southeastern Wrestling Club
Fishers Fusion Dance Team Winter Clinic
The Rose-Hulman Institue is here to help you with your math and science questions. Rose-Hulman’s Homework Hotline is a free service with student-tutors available Sundays – Thursdays, 7:00 pm – 10:00 pm (ET). You can call a tutor at 877-Ask-Rose (877-275-7673) or chat with a tutor at AskRose.org. You can also email tutors by visiting AskRose.org, at any time and they will respond during operating hours.
Now is the time for a strong start to the school year, and we are ready to help.
Interested in more information about us? Check out AskRose.org
PTO Board Members
Thank you to the following PTO board members for the upcoming school year!
What's Happening @ the Creek
Monday, November 13, rot. I5
- First Boys' Home Basketball Game Permission Slip Due
- 3:30-5:00pm - Boys Basketball Practice
Tuesday, November 14, rot. F1
- 3:00-4:00pm - Choir
- 5:30-7:30pm - Boys Basketball Game @ Home vs. Pendleton East
Wednesday, November 15, rot. F2
- Field Trip - Team 6-4 - Indy Zoo
- Thanksgiving Meal Day
- 3:00-3:50pm - Spell Bowl Practice
- 3:15-5:15pm - Boys Basketball Game @ Home vs. SCI
Thursday, November 16, rot. F3
- Field Trip Teams 5-4 & 5-6 - Indy Zoo
- 3:00-4:00pm - Choir
- 5:00- 7:00 - Spell Bowl
Friday, November 17, rot. F4
- Drone Academy Applications Due
- 3:00-4:30pm - Boys Basketball Practice
Monday, November 20, rot. F5
- 5:30-7:30 - Boys Baskteball Game @ Lapel
Tuesday, November 21, rot. C1
- 3:00-4:30pm - Boys Basketball Practice
Wednesday-Sunday, November 22-26
- Thanksgiving Break
Monday, November 27, rot. C2
- 3:30-5:00pm - Boys Basketball Practice
Tuesday, November 28, rot. C3
- 3:00-4:00pm - Choir
- 5:30 -7:30pm - Boys Basketball Game @ Home vs. Hamilton Heights
Wednesday, November 29, rot. C4
- 7:00am - Student Council
Thursday, November 30, rot. C5
- 3:00-4:00pm - Choir
- 3:00-4:00pm - FCI Connect
- 3:15-5:15pm - Boys Basketball Game @ Riverside Intermediate
Friday, December 1, rot. I1
******* IMPORTANT FCI PROCEDURES*******
Transportation Change/Early Dismissal Notification
Please follow the below process when your child has a transportation change or early dismissal. Following this process ensures that the office and teachers are informed of the change(s).
Transportation Change / Early Dismissal Notification Process
Follow one of the below steps to notify the school of your child’s change.
Send a note with your child in the morning
Send an email to the office staff and your child’s teacher
- It’s important to include all of the following contacts should you send an email
- Michele Pitts – email@example.com
- Laura Carr – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Julie Green – email@example.com
- Susan Peterson – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Student’s teacher
Last minute changes during the school day:
- Call the office at 317-915-4220
- Change of Transportation: the office needs to be notified by 1:30 to assure all parties involved are notified of transportation changes. Especially now that we only have 5 min. to pack them up and send the buses on their way.
After school hours:
- Call the attendance line at 317-915-4228
Please include the following in your note and/or message:
- child's full name
- homeroom teacher
- time of early dismissal
- nature of dismissal (e.g., doctor appointment, physical therapy, etc.)
- your full name
- contact telephone # in the event of questions
*Passes are sent to students with changes/dismissal times in an attempt to reduce interruptions during class.
If an absence is due to a doctor's appointment, remember to send the doctor's excuse note to school for attendance purposes. Medical absences are recorded differently according to our state/district attendance policies.
Do not communicate absence/early dismissal/transportation changes solely to the teacher. This information must go through the office. While you may also notify the teacher, if the teacher is not present at school and information is sent to him/her, the office will not be knowledgeable of the information.
IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTE --- Pick-up/Drop-offs
ALL exchanges for which you need to park will require you to accompany your child into the office to drop-off and sign in OR pick-up your child from the office and sign out. While this may add a few extra minutes to the exchange, the safety of all is our utmost concern.
In addition, if you arrive early to drop-off students and decide to park in the lot until drop-off begins, you MUST get in the line to drop your child off at the front and not cut through and jump to the front of the line. Do NOT cut to the front of the line. Given that on any given day we have hundreds of students dropped off, it is imperative that everyone follows the procedures. Safety of all is imperative. Thank you in advance.
school note forms - https://goo.gl/EgroKY
Texting/Emailing during school day NOT allowed
In an effort to keep instructional time as free from distraction as possible, do not email or text your child during the school day. Please contact the office should you need to get a message to your child.
Students will be reminded of the following:
- Absolutely NO texting/personal emailing during the school day (7:35 a.m.-2:55 p.m.) to students OR parents via any type of program/app/etc. Consequences will be given should this occur. [Students staying for after school events may utilize such technology after school.]
- If a student is not feeling well, he/she must go to the nurse's office and NOT email or text parent without speaking with the nurse. Contact regarding illness/pickup must be communicated through the nurse.
- Notifications on iPad should be turned off during the school day.
- If students receive texts/emails during the school day, they should immediately notify their teacher or staff member.
- We realize there may be a need for communication between students working collaboratively during the school day. However, it should only be done at teacher direction/approval.
- Texting/emailing that does occur outside of school is a parental approval issue. However, if content of texting/emailing outside of school negatively impacts/affects the school environment, there may be consequences that are imposed at school.
Remember...if you need to get a message to your child during the school day, please call the office at 915-4220. All other situations should be resolved outside the school day.
Falcon Flyer Frequency
Please look for a Skylert to be sent twice a month from FCI providing you with a link to the most recent FALCON FLYER newsletter. This will be how we will keep you up-to-date with events and happenings at FCI. Please feel free to share the link with other FCI families who may have not received the Skylert. In addition, please suggest to them that they verify current contact information in Skyward as this is where information for future Skylerts is pulled from. Communication is extremely important to us, and we value your involvement!