RSI Parents and Community,
Happy final Friday of the first semester. It is safe to say that we've had one of the most interesting first semester of school on record. Through the ups and downs, turns and twists, and unknowns one thing remained certain...Our Hawk community remained together in support of one another. I am grateful to all of our students, staff, and parents/guardians who were flexible, compassionate, and empathetic to all who faced health issues, crisis, and general pandemic anxiety. I am grateful to those who chose to smile and be kind in times of frustration or change this first semester. I want to personally thank those among you who shared gifts and expressed thanks to our amazing teachers and staff for they've gone above and beyond to find solutions in this tremendously difficult learning scenario.
Remember students return virtual learning on RSI on Tuesday, January 5th, 2021. With the new year comes much positive optimism for a turn towards the end of this pandemic.
Mr. Farrell and I wish all of you a wonderful holiday filled with happiness, rest, and much relaxation. Stay safe and remember that we will continue virtual instruction through January 15th, 2021. We will await the school board's decision on the plan following that date.
Dana Kaminski, Ph.D.
COVID-19 Self Reporting Form
Our online reporting process for families is working well. We would like to encourage our families to continue to use the on line reporting method in notifying the schools of the Covid situations that may arise within the over break. We have created an online form to track if your child has received a positive COVID-19 test result or has been notified as being a ‘close contact’ of someone who has tested positive for COVID-19. Once you submit the questionnaire, a staff member will contact you to gather additional details.
The information we collect during this period will not only assist us, but the Fishers Health Department in monitoring the incidence of cases occurring within our school community.
The self-reported information will appear on our COVID-19 Data Dashboard, which is updated on Monday mornings. We understand this information represents good faith reporting by our families and that there will be inherent limitations to it. However, it will also be used to support (to a certain extent) informed decision-making by the Board of School Trustees.
These are difficult times and much has been asked of you and your family. We greatly appreciate your partnership as we work to slow the spread of COVID-19.
Our quarter ends on Friday 12/18. Report cards will be available on January 6th for grades 5-12 and on January 7th for grades PK-4.
You can view your student’s report card by logging into Skyward Family Access, opening the portfolio section, and opening your PDF.
This year is a bit different for us as we navigate assessments and reporting in a virtual setting.
- Any indicators left blank have not yet been assessed. These will be assessed in Quarters 3 or 4.
- The Personal Behavior and Work Habits section of the report card represents study skills or social skills. Some of these have been assessed but a few are more difficult to determine in a virtual setting.
- The Speaking and Listening section of the report card may also contain skills that are a bit more difficult to assess in a virtual setting.
- Tasks/Assignments that are marked with a grade or score represent opportunities for a follow up conversation with your student. Celebrating and setting goals helps your student develop more ownership when talking through the various indicators on their report card.
- If your child did not receive a grade for a subject area, review the assignments completed versus not completed for this quarter. If the teacher felt that the student had not completed enough work to assessment his/her level of understanding, tasks/assignments completed were marked as No Count and those not completed were marked as Missing or NHI (not handed in). Receiving no grade would indicate that further communication needs to occur with the student, family, and staff to find a way for the student to complete work and turn it in to be assessed by teachers to understand their level of mastery in the content area.
Please pay special attention to any comments indicated on the report card. While this is an important section for notes of celebration, it can also be a section in which teachers may indicate a need to partner with you regarding various areas of concern such as need for a higher attendance rate/engagement in Zoom classes, turning in assignments, etc.
Thank you for your partnership to work for the success of your child!
Support for Virtual Students
Food Service Program Extended
HSE food services has announced that all HSE students will be offered free breakfast and lunch through the end of the 20-21 school year. No paperwork is required. Students will simply select their food options and eat. If you have questions please feel free to call the school and ask for the cafe manager. The link to the lunch menu is also included https://www.hseschools.org/HSE/media/HSE-District-Documents/food/5-12-MENU-P2_9-10.pdf
Stay connected - follow us on Twitter @hsefoodservices and @RSICafeRJH
Tips for Staying Healthy
When reporting an absence on our voicemail, we ask that you state your student's first and last name, teacher's name and a brief reason for the absence. Even if you email the teacher, you MUST report the absence to the office!
RSI Student Course Fees for the 2020-2021 School Year
Fees are now posted under the ‘Fee Management’ tab in Skyward Family Access. Payments may be made through eFunds via the link in Skyward. Checks may be mailed, dropped at the office or sent with your student when they return to school. RSI hours are 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Fees are now past due.
Very important - if you would like to apply for assistance for fees, a new application and approval is required each school year. The application for assistance can be found under ‘applications’ of the Food Service tab in Skyward Family Access. If you have any questions or need to set up payment arrangements, please contact Teresa Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 317.594.4320.
We are pleased to announce the return of the Snack Attack program for students in need. This program, supported by the Fishers Youth Assistance Program, is designed to provide students a little extra nourishment for the weekend until they can receive a hot meal at school on Monday.
Here's how the program works. Your student will pick up a small sack of food to be taken home over the weekend. The sack is filled with individually wrapped snacks such as granola bars, fruit cups, pop tarts, peanut butter/crackers, goldfish crackers, etc. The type of snacks will vary each week. Please let us know if your child has a peanut allergy as he/she will receive a special bag of peanut-free snacks. Snacks will be delivered to your homes on Thursdays beginning on September 17th. Snacks will be delivered while we are virtual. Once students are back 50/50, students will pick up snacks from the school to take home.
There is no cost to you or the school. If you are interested in having your student participate in FYAP's Snack Attack or have questions, please contact Nancy Logue, School Counselor at email@example.com
Should you need food assistance during the break, resources can be found here:
All HSE Schools student handbooks (K-12) are now online for easier access. The 5/6 handbook is available via this link: https://www.hseschools.org/about/policies-procedures
We encourage you to review it at your earliest convenience. Should you have any questions, please contact the RSI main office at 317-594-4320. Our staff is available to assist you. Have a great school year!
You should have already received your login and password for Skyward. If you haven’t, simply click FORGOT LOGIN/PASSWORD. Skyward allows parents to access grades, report cards, bus information, immunization records, lunch account/food service information, student fees, schedules, and the BACK TO SCHOOL FORMS 2020-2021. All students are required to have an iPad to expand our HSE21 curriculum. Families have the choice of purchasing an iPad on their own or they may choose to rent the iPad through the school. Please visit our HSE21 website for more information.
The following instructions are how to create and pair accounts in Canvas. Your HSE students will be using Canvas throughout virtual and in-person instructions. If you have a child or children that are new to the district, please use the following instructions to link your child's Canvas account to your parent account. Please note that if you have already created a Parent Canvas account and linked your child(ren)'s account(s), you will not need to do this.
You will need your child's school email address and ID#. This information can be found in Skyward. Please click here to access Skyward. If the link is not working, you can go to the HSE homepage and click on the Canvas tab located at the top right of the screen.
Once you are logged in, you will select your child's name from the drop down menu under Family Access at the top of the page. Next, you will click on the Student Info tab from the column on the left. Your child's school email can be found next to the word School in the middle of the screen (just to the right of their school picture) and their school ID # is located under their picture (their school ID # is labeled as Other ID).
- Please click here to access Canvas. If the link is not working, you can go to the HSE homepage and click on the Canvas tab located at the top right of the screen. You will click on the Students/Staff Portal rectangle to login with your child's information, using your child's full school email address as the username. Enter "hse" in front of their 6 digit other ID number for the password. You will now be logged in under their name.
- While on their Canvas page, click on Account and then Settings. Look to the right and click Pair with Observer. You will need to write down the code so you can use it to link your accounts.
- Click Account and Logout. You are now logged out of your child's account.
- If you have multiple students in the district, you will need to complete steps 1-3 for each of your children. You will need a pairing code for each student in an HSE school.
- Once you have a pairing code for each of your children, you will click here to access the home page of Canvas. If the link is not working, you can go to the HSE homepage and click on the Canvas tab located at the top right of the screen. You will click on the Parent Canvas Portal rectangle to create your profile. You will need your name, email, create a password, and one student pairing code. Click on Start Participating.
- Check your email now to finalize your Canvas sign-up.
- To add other children, go back to the HSE homepage, click Canvas tab, click Parent Portal, and login. Click on Account, click on Observing, and add your next child's pairing code.
UPDATED YMCA ELEARNING CARE - click for more information!
2020-21 PTO Officers
Vice President - Jess Hodge
Treasurer - Teresa Hunckler
Secretary - Christel Cater
Member at Large - Susie Strange
Kroger Community Rewards
Link your Kroger Card to Riverside Intermediate.
1. Sign in to your digital account.
2. Select Riverside Intermediate.
Riverside Intermediate will earn rewards.
Any transactions moving forward using the Shopper’s Card number associated with your digital account will be applied to the program, at no added cost to you. Kroger donates annually to participating organizations based on your percentage of spending as it relates to the total spending associated with all participating Kroger Community Rewards organizations.
New Box Top Information
AMERICA'S SCHOOLS LOVE BOX TOPS!
For over 20 years, Box Tops for Education has given families an easy way to earn cash for their school, with products they already buy.
Now you can simply scan your store receipt with the Box Tops mobile app to identify participating products and instantly add cash to your school's earnings online.
Please use this link to learn more!
Mudsock Youth Athletics Update
Mark Your Calendars! Spring program registration will open on January 1st for baseball, softball, soccer, boys and girls lacrosse, rugby and track. Visit www.myathletics.com for the most updated season information and to register your child for a league.
Information is also available via the HSE Community Insider.
HSE Report it!
As you know, Hamilton Southeastern Schools has benefitted over the years from a “Text-a-Tip” service to provide anonymous information to the district. We wanted to let you know that we have launched “HSE Report It!”, a new school safety mobile reporting app that allows students, staff and community members to provide anonymous information about concerns for their own safety or the safety of others. HSE Report It! replaces Text-A-Tip product, which is going out of service.
We believe that HSE Report it!, which can be downloaded via Google Play or the Apple App Store, provides enhanced reporting capabilities. It’s anonymous and reports are made exclusively through the mobile app. Plus, unlike SMS text reports, HSE Report it! will have no length limitations or the need to remember a short code. Reporters can attach photos, screenshots, videos, documents and/or audio recordings to their concerns and they can engage in a two-way dialogue with a real person.
Reports are monitored by HSE building and district administration and the school resource officers (SROs).
The new HSE Report It! app will be an important resource for our community to submit anonymous tips when they wish to report concerns for their safety and the safety of others. Please encourage your family to download the app and be aware that this resource is now available to use when needed.
Always feel open and free to contact your teachers with questions. Please note the contact of the administration and counselors below as well. We are here to serve you! Never hesitate to contact any of us with questions.
Dr. Kaminski - Principal -firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr. Farrell - Assistant Principal - email@example.com
Mrs. Underwood - 5th Grade Counselor - firstname.lastname@example.org
Mrs. Logue - 6th Grade Counselor - email@example.com
Mrs. Bohannon - IT Specialist - firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for always checking your skylerts and we can't wait to get started with your amazing RSI Hawks!