The Sailor Signal
Cottage Lake Elementary - November 8, 2020
A Note from Principal Welch
I hope you are enjoying this sunny, Sunday afternoon. The week ahead will be a little different than previous weeks. We have a whole-school assembly on Tuesday, November 10 and we have No School on Wednesday, November 11. Both of these changes are for Veteran's Day.
Veteran's Day is a time for us to recognize those that have served in our Armed Forces and originally started as the end of hostilities and armistice in World War I. In November 1919, President Wilson proclaimed November 11 as the first commemoration of Armistice Day, but in 1954 Armistice Day was changed to Veterans Day, a day to honor American veterans of all wars. As we look to honor our veterans, both those close to our own families, within our school, and around the world, our music teachers have worked to gather sound clips of students singing songs they selected for a school-wide assembly. Our assembly will be Tuesday, November 10 @ 3:00 PM. Please find the information below to locate the Zoom link.
I would also like to invite you to the PTA meeting this Tuesday, November 10, from 7:00-8:00 PM. The PTA is welcoming our own Mr. Stephen Wallinger, Cottage Lake Counselor, as a spotlight speaker. Mr. Wallinger will be sharing a bit about himself, school counseling, speaking about anxiety, and providing parents access to resources you might find helpful. Mr. Wallinger will be speaking at the beginning of the PTA meeting, so please do consider attending. The Zoom link will be shared on the Cottage Lake PTA Facebook page and other avenues soon.
I hope you are all doing well and staying healthy. Let's have a fabulous week ahead!
Jen Welch, Principal
•• SCHOOL NEWS ••
Quarter 1 Progress Reports
To ensure we share the progress reports in the manner you would like to receive the information, we ask all families to indicate how you would like to receive your Progress Reports, email or paper copies. Please CLICK HERE to access the survey. Please complete this survey by Friday, November 13.
Any family who does not complete the survey will receive the progress report via USPS mail.
Attendance Letter in your Parent-Vue account
Please log into your ParentVue account and check for these forms to update your child's file. If you need login assistance for your ParentVue account, please contact Sarah McKinnon at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Veteran's Day assembly
Veteran's Day is this Wednesday, November 11. Our Cottage Lake Veteran's Day assembly will be held Tuesday, November 10 @ 3:00 PM. This will be held via Zoom. Just like our first-day assembly, we do have a login limit of 300 guests, so I encourage families to use one computer to access the assembly. All students, staff, and families are welcome to attend. I also encourage all to wear red, white, and blue on Tuesday.
Below you will find the Zoom information for the Veteran's Day assembly.
Meeting ID: 891 5333 2797
I hope you will consider joining us.
Clearing Cache and Cookies suggestions
Below you will find her directions on how to clear these items.
- In the top right corner of the browser window, click the round button with the 3 vertical dots
- Click 'Settings'
- Click 'Privacy and Security'
- Click 'Clear browsing data'
- Close the browser
- Reopen the browser, proceed as usual
- In the top right corner of the browser window, click the button with the three horizontal dots
- Click on 'Settings'
- Click on 'Privacy, search, and services'
- Next to 'Clear browsing data' click 'Chose what to clear'
- Check the boxes next to 'Cookies and other site data' and 'Cached images and files'
- Check or uncheck other boxes as desired
- Click 'Clear Now'
- Close the browser
- Reopen the browser, proceed as usual
Our Book Circulation continues!
We are so excited about our book circulation to continue on Thursdays. We appreciate all the feedback we have received and love seeing pictures of your students reading, as well! Below is information regarding upcoming book circulation.
- 1st, 3rd, & FSA - Your delivery is on: Thursday, November 12
- If you want books, please fill out this form http://go.nsd.org/sailorbooks by Sunday, November 8 @ 9:00 PM.
- ALL STUDENTS - Due to there being No School on Thursday, November 26, ALL STUDENTS are eligible to receive books on November 19.
- If you want books, please fill out this form: http://go.nsd.org/sailorbooks by Sunday, November 15 @ 9:00 PM.
ALL grades---- Please click on the button below to locate the book circulation schedule and find the request form in one place.
Please click on this link to find our online library book request forms and the upcoming schedule of delivery and pick-up weeks. This schedule will continue to be updated. Happy Reading!
•• District News ••
Celebrate Native American Heritage Month with the Eastside Native American Education Program
The Eastside Native American Education Program (ENAEP) is hosting a series of virtual events to celebrate Native American Heritage Month in November. Admission is free. For more information and get a link to the events, contact Mary Wilber at email@example.com or 425-936-1402.
- Monday, Nov. 9 at 6:30 p.m.: Showcasing Flags of our many Nations and a Tlingit Tribe presentation
- Monday, Nov. 16 at 6:30 p.m.: ENAEP Native Art Museum
- Monday, Nov. 23 at 6:30 p.m.: ENAEP Frybread Cooking Fest
- Monday, Nov. 30 at 6:30 p.m.: Favorite Books by Native Authors
Family i-Ready Night
The “i-Ready: Supporting Student Learning at Home” session is designed to provide Northshore School District families with an understanding of the i-Ready Online Instruction for reading and mathematics. Families will learn how the i-Ready Diagnostic is used to create a personalized pathway of instruction for every student. The i-Ready Team will share ideas for motivating learners, monitoring progress, and supporting children when they need assistance. Finally, tips and resources will be shared to support families in preparing for the next i-Ready Diagnostic assessment.
When: Wednesday, Dec. 2
Time: 6:00 p.m.
Register for Northshore i-Ready Family Night: https://cainc.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_Rx6jQWuZTRuxwunIWiIkfw
•• REPEAT of District News ••
Online After-school Enrichment
Becoming a volunteer
At Cottage Lake, we have always had a very strong foundation of classroom and PTA volunteers. This year, we are all thinking outside the box and looking for new, creative ways we can welcome volunteers into the remote classrooms. As our classrooms continue to establish routines and systems, teachers will be ready to think about how volunteers could be helpful to them.
To prepare for becoming a volunteer, there are several steps we need you to complete. One important note is that our background check form will need to be updated EACH YEAR! In the past, we have asked for them to be updated every two years, but to keep our information the most up-to-date, this is a shift we are making district-wide.
Please visit this NSD LINK to find all the steps you will need to follow to complete your volunteer paperwork. Please click on the bar that says, "Online Volunteer Application Process" for all the steps that need to be completed.
Thank you for considering becoming a Cottage Lake volunteer!
Does your Cottage Lake Elementary student need a device for online learning? Please use the link below to sign up and sign the waiver. After you submit your form, Mr. Paganini will be in contact with you to set a pick-up time for you. For students in Kindergarten & Grade 1, we are issuing iPads. For students in Grade 2 through Grade 5, we are issuing Chromebooks. Students will keep these devices at home until we return to school.
Meals during remote learning and hybrid learning
Beginning Wednesday, September 9, we are offering free meals for ALL children ages 18 and younger. Students do not need to be enrolled in the Northshore School District to receive meals. This is GREAT news for each of our families; these are your tax dollars at work. I am so pleased this funding has been continued, allowing us to extend these meal services until the end of December.
Please visit our District website for more information about how and when to place your order, times and locations for meal pick-up, pricing, and how to apply for free and reduced-price meals.
For quick links:
- CLICK HERE to place an order for DAILY MEALS. [The order window time will be 2:00 PM-11:59 PM the day prior to meal pick-up. Order include breakfast and lunch, including 16oz of milk. Orders placed for a Friday pick-up will also include meals for the weekend.]
- CLICK HERE to place an order for WEEKLY MEAL PACKS. [Weekly Meal Packs will include breakfast and lunch for an entire week, including a gallon of milk. The order window will open at 2:00 PM every Wednesday and close at 2:00 PM every Thursday. Pick up for these meals will be on Wednesday the following week.]
Please consider ordering food! Our district is committed to feeding our children during this challenging time.
Free & Reduced Applications
Remember: families must reapply every year! Only one application per family is necessary.
•• PTA NEWS ••
- Our next PTA Meeting of the year is November 10, 2020 from 7:00-8:00 PM. Please consider joining, as we will have a guest speaker, Mr. Wallinger, our school counselor. :)
- Learn more about the PTA and get your 2020/21 membership at www.cottagelakepta.org.
- Your 2020/21 PTA Presidents are: Carrie Mizenko & Rachel Tarr and can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search: Cottage Lake PTA.
[YES, our PTA accounted is listed in Tacoma, but it IS our school's PTA located in Woodinville, WA.]
After selecting our school's PTA, each time you want to shop, begin with visiting www.smile.amazon.com, and then shop. You must first log into the smile.amazon.com for purchases to be eligible for the cash back opportunity.