Skill Trades| Nancy H.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
Carpenters are one of the most versatile construction occupations that usually works with wood that builds or repairs various structures
- Must read blueprints and execute whatever the task successfully
- They also prepare their own blueprints
- Measuring, cutting and shaping wood
- They create major wooden structure and framework like walls and door frames for homes
- Carpenters must have exactly what they need to work in the best quality and so it is important to make sure the quality of his/hers structure/framework is not damaged and if so they would have to make sure they replace it
- About one-third of carpenters are self-employed and so preparing cost for clients is a responsibility they might have to take on
- Supervising apprentices to make sure they are on the right track to have a successful outcome of the project they may be working on
Who reports to this position?
- Labourers- to possibly retrieve materials or equipment for the carpenter
- Construction helpers- to verify what their role in the task is
- Apprentices- seek clarification and receive assistance
Who does the position report to?
- Supervisors on work sites- To make sure you're on the right track
- Clients- To make sure they are satisfied with your work
Possible Work Locations
Constantly on different work sites, a wide range of different locations whether it is indoors or outdoors
Residential carpenters New homes, in neighbourhoods being formed mainly building and remodelling homes and condominiums
Commercial carpenters Remodel and help build building such as hospitals, hotels, schools, and shopping malls.
Industrial carpenters Work in civil and industrial settings where they would build concrete forms for tunnels, bridges, dams, power plants, or sewer construction projects.
Possible Work Hours
Almost all carpenters work full time
Overtime to complete deadlines
- Self-employed workers often work in residential construction and may be able to set their own schedule.
Education and Training Required
- A high school diploma is required
- Suggested that high school courses such as English, mathematics for calculations while working, mechanical drawing to make and design blueprints for projects
- Common way is to do a three or four-year apprenticeship
Opportunities for Advancement & What Would be Required
Carpentry supervisor- this position would coordinate, monitor, advise and support the activities of carpentry workers
General construction supervisor-General construction superintendents oversee all phases of a construction project from initial planning to completion.
Project manager- plans, manages resources and keeps and organized workspace in order to have a successful outcome of the task/project
What you can do
Continue to exceed and succeed into the projects you are handed
Being able to speak more than one language is beneficial
Injuries that may occur could be:
Muscle strains- lifting heavy objects and equipment can pull muscle
Falling- since you are working in areas that have more than one floor/level an accident could occur, there is also a possibility of falling off ladders.
Cuts- working with machinery that is used to cut thick pieces of wood, and tough metals there is a chance of injury with hands or other body parts
Opportunities for Travel
Personal Qualities Recommended
Driven- Passionate about the work they do and is always striving to succeed
Organized- Making sure time is used wisely and everything is planned out
Co-operative- Get along well with others and work in a team environment
Responsible- Making sure they get tasks done by deadlines
Detail oriented- Precision is key when in order to have a successful outcome of a task and being detail oriented is to help make sure everything fits together properly and there aren't any mistakes that will affect the project as a whole
Manual dexterity- Hand-eye coordination is very important when it comes to carpentry because if not there will be an increased chance that an injury might happen
Math skills- Basic math skills is an important skill to have because it is needed for the planning of the project since they do prepare their blueprints. During the project measuring of length, width, height and volume as well as adding, multiplying measurements are all curial when it comes to carpentry
Critical Thinking Skills
Problems happen all the time but when it comes to projects in construction, carpenters must be able to solve these problems when they come up
Carpenters require mechanical skills to work with a variety of tools and machines. These might include powers saws, drills, sanders and much more. Working with so many heavy duty machines carpenters must be comfortable operating, and possibly fixing these types of tools