Hark! the Herald
Friday, November 16th, 2018
Each year, our students make it a point to honor our veterans.
To all of our incredible military families:
FOR YOUR SERVICE
AND FOR YOUR SACRIFICE!
WE ARE SO GRATEFUL.
Flags are placed in three local cemeteries by our middle schoolers.
Important Dates and Reminders
- Next week is Thanksgiving. We will be closed on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday for the holiday. We wish you all a wonderful, relaxing time away with family, friends, and most importantly your children!
- Please, as you enter or leave the building, take a minute to look behind you and pull/jiggle the door shut. We just added new weather stripping and it will take some time to break in. Thank you so much for your help!
- It's getting cold outside, but that won't stop us from making sure the kids get outside for some fresh air and exercise. Please make sure they are coming to school with appropriate, warm attire for recess and outdoor activities every day.
- If your child has borrowed or worn home anything from the closet that you do not intend to keep, would you please consider washing and returning it. Please please feel free to keep or take anything you need from the closet. It is a wonderful option for year round use and I definitely don't want to discourage anyone from taking clothes that are needed. However, almost daily we are in the closet to find a change of clothes for one reason or another and it is always such a relief when we have items in the right size to offer. So, if you wont use something, please send the item(s) back in. We would also be grateful for any donations of clothing your child has outgrown.
- Finally, if you are not already a friend of SMS on Facebook, come join us! We will post photos and events that happen during the week that don't make it into the Hark! Please click this link, like and follow our page so you can continue to stay involved.
Calling all basketball players!!!
SMS will begin basketball practice on Tuesday, November 27.
Our team will consist of 8th-12th grade and is co-ed.
It will be $40/student or $50/family to play. This cost helps us to pay for referees and the gym. Permission slips were passed out this week so please get them filled out and returned as soon as possible.
Practice will be held on Tuesday and Wednesday at Winston Prouty Center Gym, the same place we were last year, and Thursday at SMS in Rand Hall.
Practice time will be 3:30-5pm. Coaching will be provided by the generosity of Mr. Tatro and Mr. Chechile. We have joined the River Valley League. and the schedule will be sent home with your child as soon as it is finalized. We will need parents to help with transport to Winston Prouty for both practice and games.
Should you have any questions, feel free to contact me. We are looking forward to coaching your children this year.
Did you know that you can make arrangements to come into our classrooms as a secret reader? The students LOVE having a surprise guest drop in to share a favorite book!
Shown here, some of our students meet with Mr. Abbondanzio to practice their songs for the upcoming Christmas Concert
High School PE
On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays the high school students meet in the afternoons for PE: sometimes its an indoor game or calisthenics in Rand Hall, and sometimes they get outdoors for some fresh air and friendly competition.
SAVE THE DATE! Christmas Dance
Friday, Dec. 14th, 7-9pm
48 Walnut Street
Saint Michael School will be hosting a Christmas Dance in a few weeks.
The dance will be open to all students in grades 7 through 12 and their guests.
Students from outside our school community will have to fill out some paperwork in order to attend. We will send out forms soon.
Be thinking of who you would like to invite and other ways that you can help or get involved.
Volunteer Hours Opportunities:
We need someone with Music/ DJ expertise...
Please contact Katie Pierce if you would like to get involved at email@example.com
Ways You Can Help!
- cough drops :)
- new or gently used winter gear such as hats, gloves, mittens etc
- cookie sheets or muffin tins for our breakfast and AMP program
- new or gently used blankets for the nurses office
TWO WEEKS LEFT for Hannaford Helps Schools
As you do your grocery shopping for the upcoming holiday season you can help raise money for our school with Hannaford Helps Schools!
Now through 12/1, every time you buy 4 participating products you’ll earn $3 for our school! Look for shelf tags in-store or click to see the full list of products: http://bit.ly/2MrRBpr
Breakfast Lunch and AMP Menus
Breakfast is $2.25 and Lunch is $3.50
Bagel w/cream cheese, hard boiled egg,
juice, fruit choice, milk
Egg/sausage/cheese egg sandwich, juice, fruit choice, milk
November 15 is America Recycles Day
In Honor of America Recycles Day, here is an excerpt from Planet Aid.org blog:
November 15 is America Recycles Day, which is a program by Keep America Beautiful, and is a day to celebrate and promote recycling in the United States.
A great way to celebrate America Recycles Day is by cleaning out your closet and donating your clothes.Once you’ve inspected your closet and taken out the necessary articles, take your items to a yellow donation bin near you. Please launder all items before dropping them in a box.
DID YOU KNOW? We have a Planet Aid donation bin located at Saint Brigid's Kitchen!
Planet Aid collects and recycles 100 million pounds of clothes and shoes every year, but that is just a fraction of the textiles that could be recycled if everyone stopped throwing their clothes in the trash. Planet Aid accepts clothing, shoes, and other textiles (for example, bedding, towels, and curtains). This means that there is no need to separate items based on their condition. Even items that are stained, torn, or frayed can be recycled, so drop off your worn-out items, too!
PIANO AND ORGAN LESSONS NOW AVAILABLE
Hi! I'm Breton Abbondanzio, the new Music Director at St. Michael Parish and I'm pleased to offer private lessons in piano and organ. I teach all ages and levels and some of my students have won prizes in the ATAM Music Competition in Newton, MA. Lessons are a half hour in duration and my fee is reasonable and competitive. Please give me a call at (413) 824-9881 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I look forward to teaching your child!
Worldwide Marriage Encounter Weekend November 30-December 2, 2018
A Weekend of Discovery... A Lifetime of Love.It will take place at St. Anne's Shrine and is a very special time for married couples and priests.
• Nov. 30 - December 2, 2018- St. Anne’s Shrine, Isle La Motte, VT
GREAT MARRIAGES DON'T JUST HAPPEN
… Couples Make Them! All marriages need attention, effort and nurturing. Worldwide Marriage Encounter provides an opportunity for you to explore your relationship together and find ways to make it more fulfilling and stronger for a lifetime.
"THE SCREWTAPE LETTERS" READING GROUP
It's not too late to join a group of young people who are doing dramatic readings from C.S. Lewis's novel “The Screwtape Letters” every week. This group is open to youth age high school and up. They meet from 9:10 to 10:10 on Sunday mornings in the parish center.
Amazon donates 0.5% of the price of your eligible AmazonSmile purchases to the Saint Michael Charitable Trust. Thank you so much for your support!