Cell Transportation Lab
3 Solutions (200mL of each)
Drinking water (20mL for each tube)
Step for Completing the Lab
2) Tie one end of the dialysis tube tightly with string
3) Place the funnel into the other/open end of the tube
4) Pour 20mL of drinking water into the tube
5) Tie the open end of the tube tightly with string
6) Repeat steps 2-5 two more times
7) Measure the mass of each filled tube with the balance and record your data in a table
8) Pour 200mL of each of your 3 solutions into cups (different solution in each cup)
9) Submerge a dialysis tube in each solution
10) Wait 24 hours then remove the tubes from the solutions, dry them off, and reweigh them
11) Record your data and create a conclusion
In the Lab, the data showed a decrease in the amount of drinking water that was in the tube which shows the solution it was soaking in had a higher number of solutes than the water inside the dialysis tube. Some solutions showed more of a change than others as expected.
i found that in a hyper tonic solution, which all 3 of these proved to be, the water in a cell will move out into the solution surrounding it in order to attempt to reach homeostasis which it needs to survive. None of the solutions were hypotonic or isotonic.