Spring Mills Shark Nation Notes
Important Upcoming Dates
May 3rd - No School in Session Teacher Inservice
May The 4th - Walk Bike and Roll To School - See Letter Below
May 5th - Middle School Visit for 5th Graders
May 3rd - K Day for Incoming Junior Kindergarten and Kindergarten
May 30th - No School Memorial Day
Wow, did the month of April fly by or what? Next week starts our last full month of the 21-22 school year--we've almost made it through another interesting year! I look forward to more "back-to-normal" school activities as we approach the end of summer and into the fall, as I'm sure you do as well.
Next week we have a couple of fun things happening. On Wednesday, May 4th, it is Walk, Bike and Roll to school day! We welcome all of our students to do just that. We have parking available at the Holy Spirit Church down the street for those that don't live close by. Details are on the attached letter.
We are also planning a little fun that same day with "May the Fourth Be with You" on May the 4th! Dress in your favorite Star Wars gear if you'd like! It'll be a blast to see what staff and students come up with!
We are wrapping up our official M-STEP testing dates this week with 5th graders taking the Social Studies and Science tests on Monday and Wednesday, respectively. Then we will just have make-ups for all students who have not yet finished the tests. Thank you for your support during this time.
Our 5th graders also have a big day on Thursday as they travel to their middle schools for a visit! Buses will be picking up students around 9:45 and they will return in time for lunch. It's so exciting to watch our SM Sharks head into their next stage! We are very proud of them.
Finally, next week is Teacher Appreciation Week! Our PTA has put together some wonderful days and treats for our teachers. Thank you so much to our PTA board and all of our volunteers who are working hard next week to make it happen. We are blessed with incredibly talented, caring educators at Spring Mills, and I look forward to celebrating them with you all next week! If you have questions, I know that specific information is on our PTA facebook page.
A quick reminder that there is no school for students on Tuesday, May 3rd, as we have a Professional Learning day for staff. In addition, we will be welcoming all of our "new" Kindergartners (Fall '22) to our K-Day activity that morning! I'm looking forward to meeting all of our 22-23 K students! If you are in incoming K parent, and haven't received any information, please call our office and we will get you what you need.
Have a wonderful weekend,
Sarah Bentley, SM Principal
Walk Bike and Roll To School on May The Fourth
Summer Academy 2022
New local food program
Early Dismissal Protocol Reminder
If you must sign your child out early, we request that you do so prior to 3:30pm to avoid the end of day pack up and dismissal procedures.
Protocol for picking your student(s) up early:
You do not need to notify or call the office in advance. Students are called to the office after their parent/guardian arrives. Please enter the front vestibule of the school and press the call button into the office. We will then call your child from class and have you sign them out. Please share this protocol with any of your Emergency Contacts that may be picking up your children.
HVS SAFETY AND SECURITY
For the safety and well-being of our students, Huron Valley Schools have a firm expectation when it comes to identifying the visitors we have inside the buildings. When you are coming in the building during instruction hours, you must show your ID and state the reason for your visit. Even if we have seen you several times and even if we know you very well, we are still required to ask you for your ID. We ask that you PLEASE be prepared with your identification each and every time you come in to the building during school hours. Please share this expectation with anyone on your student's emergency contact list. We truly appreciate your support of these requirements.
Circle Drive Reminders - Please share with other family members who may pick up your student.
Thank you to everyone following the guidelines making the circle drive a smoother experience for your community! Please see reminder below and share these rules with other family members who may pick up your student at times.
Arrival/Dismissal - updated information
- Our building doors open at 9:07am. Please do not drop off early, as there isn't adult supervision outside of the building. You may only use the front loop for drop off
- Upper El Centrum doors close at 9:15am If your child arrives later than this, please use the front doors of the building.
- Safety first! Drivers will need to remain in their lane until all students have been unloaded; you are not allowed to pass other cars if your children unloaded first.
- Also for safety reasons, drivers and other adults must remain in the car during pick up and drop-off. If your child requires help getting in or out of their vehicle please park in the parking lot and walk to the doors to get your child/pick your child up.
- Always have your Anchors Away sign on the passenger side window during afternoon pick up - this keeps things moving quickly for the entire Spring Mills community. Please let your child's teacher or the office know if you need another sign and we will send one home with your child.
- When possible, please move your child seat to the passenger side of the vehicle. Children should not be exiting out into traffic, but rather on the curb side.
- The school day ends at 4:07 pm. Please do not arrive before 4pm. DO NOT EXIT your vehicle from the circle to meet students.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION!
You can call our 24-HOUR ATTENDANCE LINE AT 248-684-8086 for all attendance related calls. Please state your child's first and last name and reason for absence.
Attendance is an important component in a student’s education. If we do not hear from you regarding your student's absence, it is our policy to call to verify your student’s absence.
Please do not send your child back to school until they have been vomit-free, diarrhea-free, or fever-free for 24 hours.
EXTENDED ABSENCES AND VACATIONS
If your child(ren) will be absent for an extended period of time, please make sure to complete a pre-arranged absence form available from the office or on our website under Parent Resources.