All about what they do!
They may also consult large animal veterinarians to keep the pigs healthy, animal nutritionists and livestock feed sales representatives so the animals are receive the correct diet. Pig farmers may have the benefit of hiring employees to aid in raising the pigs. They create shifts for the employee and oversee the work they are doing. Overall they have many things to do seeing as they have to care for many animals.
A minimum of a high school diploma. Any extra education will be a plus as you will be making more money. If going for a higher diploma focus on animal science as you will be mostly focused on working with animals.
You will most likely contain the pigs in a climate controlled building. This is an advantage seeing as you will be working mostly inside.You will also not be exposed to as many extreme elements such as intense cold, heat, rain, or snow.
The amount of money you make depends on many factors such as cost for supplies, feed, and fuel for vehicles. The median wage is $60,750 but the lower 10% make less than $29,280 while the top 10% can make $106,980 and up.
Extra Skills & Personal Requirment
- Ability to do some lifting, carry box of medicine to tug a crate of feed
- Not afraid to get dirty, or smelly
- Can handle being with animals
- Correctly administer medicine
- Some math skills may be necessary
- Be able to work many hours, almost everyday of the week, and on holidays
- May wan't to live nearby seeing as you will be working almost every day
- Prepared to work in a somewhat unclean and smelly workplace
- Able to communicate with other workers