Pleasant View Elementary Flyer
Friday, September 30, 2022
PVE STEAM & Wellness Night was INCREDIBLE!
Dear PVE Families
What a fantastic turnout for our first indoor PVE Family Night in two years! We were thrilled to entertain well over 1,200 PVE students and family members at yesterday evening's STEAM (Science Technology Engineering Arts Math) & Wellness Night. Thanks to the nearly 40 PVE staff members and Dads Club members, we were able to offer engaging and fun activities both inside and outside PVE! Thanks to everyone who came out last night to make this evening such a success.
Here are a few things to highlight that are on the horizon:
- This Friday, 10/7 - Fall Party & Crazy Dress Day - On Friday, October 7th we will enjoy our annual Crazy Dress Day (mismatched/silly clothing) in addition to holding our Fall Parties.
- Fall Break is October 10th - 14th - School will not be in session. Please see information below if you would like to sign-up for GROW Fall Break Access Days for your child (held at PVE).
- Student Breakfast Offering Begins 10/17 - We will begin offering breakfast again this year beginning the Monday we return from Fall Break. Starting Monday, October 17th we will be offering breakfast between 7:45am and 8:05am. As a reminder, you do not need to sign your child up, he or she can just come to the upper café to eat on any day. However, this year there will be a charge of $1.40 (unless free/reduced status is in play).
- Lunch Visitor System - We are putting our final touches on the new "PVE Open Table" sign-up system for parent/guardians to schedule a time to eat lunch with their child at school. There will be more information in next week's flyer on what day it will officially start in October and how to sign-up!
- GROW Fall Break Access Days: ZCS GROW offers childcare during Fall Break, October 10th-14th at Pleasant View Elementary. This is for Preschool through 6th grade. The hours are 7:30 to 5:30. See the GROW section further down in the flyer for all the details!
- Student/Family/Teacher Conferences are on October 24th (3-5:00) & October 25th (11:00-7:00 PM). Remember, that Tuesday, Oct 25th will be an EDay for K-4 elementary students (as well as Developmental and Transitional Preschool) so that teachers can meet with students and families for conferences!
- PTO Scholastic Fall Book Fair - We are excited to announce that our Fall Book Fair will occur the week of 10/24 -10/28 and overlap with conferences again this year. Be on the lookout in next week's flyer for our Fall Book Fair Schedule!
- Veterans Day at PVE - Our in-person Veterans Day programs are BACK! Please see our section below for information on how to ensure to have your student and Veterans included in our traditional Picture Presentation that is always part of our programs. More information will come soon on program times and how to attend.
All the best,
Stacy and Jodi
Dr. Stacy Smith - Principal of PVE
317-873-2376, extension 17999
Mrs. Jodi Morrow - Assistant Principal of PVE
317-873-2376, extension 17994
2nd Grade Trip to Conner Prairie
2022-2023 Important Dates
September 15th - October 15th - National Hispanic Heritage Month
October 5th - PVE October Spirit Day
October 6th - TEDx Zionsville Event: Sense of Place at the PAC (see section below)
October 7th - End of Quarter 1 & Fall Party/Crazy Dress Day
October 10th -14th - No School due to Fall Break
October 24th-28th - Fall Scholastic Book Fair
October 24th - Regular school day w/ Family/student conferences (3-5PM)
October 25th - eDay (NO SCHOOL) & Family/Student Conferences (11:10am-7:00pm)
October 27th from 5:00-6:00pm - PTO Meeting in the Media Center
November 2nd - PVE November Spirit Day
November 10th - 3rd Grade World Kindness Day
November 11th - Veterans Day Programs at PVE
November 23rd -25th - No School due to Thanksgiving Break
December 7th - PVE December Spirit Day
December 9th - 4th Grade Indiana's Birthday
December 20th - End of Quarter 2/Semester 1 & Winter Parties
December 21st -January 2nd - No School due to Winter Break
ZCS 2022-2023 School Calendar (click for the district calendar)
PVE Student Pianists!
We were so fortunate to have three PVE students play for us this week during morning arrival! Thank you to Isla play for us on Wednesday, and siblings Kate and Henry share time to play for us this morning! They all did a FABULOUS job!
As a reminder, if you would like for your child to play during morning arrival, click the link below to sign him or her up!
- We would like the pianists to arrive around 7:40am and play until the 8:00 o'clock bell. The parents of the child playing are welcome to stay the whole time and enjoy as well! Please note that siblings are more than welcome to share the playing time if you would prefer.
Student Breakfast at PVE - Begins Monday, October 17th
As a reminder, you do not need to sign your child up, he or she can just come to the upper café to eat on any day. However, this year there will be a charge of $1.40 (unless free/reduced status is in play) per breakfast.
If your child participates in AM BAC, Kindergarten Bridge, or Early Start Spanish and would like to participate look for a separate email to come from Tina Tamburini or your child's Spanish teacher with specific details.
What's for breakfast?
- Fall 2022 PVE Breakfast Menu
- Contained within each standard “Breakfast in a Bag”, will be an entrée (i.e. cereal or snack bar), juice, fruit and 1% white milk. Please click here for additional nutritional information.
As always, thank you for your support and feel free to provide any feedback or suggestions to
Lisa or Jan!
Lisa Morgan, Food Service Manager at PVE at email@example.com
Jan Swander, ZCS Food Service Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PVE Veterans Day Photo Presentation - Photos due November 1st
As we prepare for our Veterans Day programs on Friday, November 11th, we need your help to pull off one of most celebrated traditions. Each year we have a presentation of pictures that display our students and the Veterans in their family at the end of our celebration.
This year we are requesting you send your pictures to us digitally. Please follow the specific directions below to have your students and Veterans honored during one of our ceremonies on Friday, Nov. 11th.
- Send ALL pictures to this email address email@example.com .They WILL NOT be accepted any other way.
- We are asking that you send a picture of your child/children who attend PVE behind a plain background, or a flag, or a brick background etc. in a JPEG format.
- You must also send in a picture of your veteran in a JPEG format. Also please include your Veteran’s name and branch of service. We are asking that these 2 things come in the same email. If you have multiple Veterans to honor please send them in the same email.
Please understand that you must follow these steps in order to have your student and their Veterans included in the presentation of pictures, even if you have sent a picture in previous years. We do not have pictures provided to us from the past.
ALL PICTURES ARE DUE NO LATER THAN November 1st AT 4:00.
PVE Veterans Day Team
WOOOOHOOOO! We are surpassed our goal of $39,000.01!!! The students have more than earned their "Out of this World Space Adventure" Celebration containing inflatables, gaga ball, and a dance party!!!! As a reminder, the prizes that will be awarded will are listed below and will be given out soon! THANK YOU to everyone who donated to our school!!!
- Top Student Per Grade: Water Bottle & Gym Teacher or the Day
- Top Student School Wide: Principal for the Day
- Runner Up Student School Wide: Assistant Principal for the Day
- Top Participating Class: Special Class Prize & Extra Recess
- Highest Class Participation Per Grade: Choice of Spirit Day, Popsicle Party OR Extra Recess
- Top Fundraising Class in the School: $250 donation for classroom and Extra Recess
Whole School Celebration
- We have SURPASSED our goal of $39,000.01 - PVE will have an Out of This World Space Adventure Celebration sponsored by the Long Family (Valbridge Property Advisors)
PVE Counselors' Corner
Second Step is a research based social-emotional learning curriculum. Each week a 30 minute lesson during their “Strong Steps” time is devoted to strengthening these skills.
This week was Lesson Six. These lessons focused on Empathy.
- Kindergarten and first grade students learned how to use situational cues to help identify others’ feelings.
- Second grade students are practicing physical and situational clues that indicate the feeling of confidence.
- Third grade students learned having empathy helps you notice when others’ feelings are the same as or different than yours.
- Fourth grade students focused on having successful conversations with peers to help make and build friendships.
There are home link activities for second, third and fourth grades this week. Below are the home link activities if you would like to work with your student on an extension activity together!
- Kindergarten Home Links
- 1st Grade Home Links
- 2nd Grade Home Links
- 3rd Grade Home Links
- 4th Grade Home Links
If you have any questions about the Second Step program, please do not hesitate to reach out for more information. Thank you for supporting your child in learning the skills that lead to success in school and in life.
Tammy Mazelin PVE K-2 School Counselor firstname.lastname@example.org
Natalie Rieke PVE 2-4 School Counselor email@example.com
ZCS GROW News and Updates
Fall Break Access Days
- ZCS GROW offers childcare during Fall Break, October 10th-14th at Pleasant View Elementary. This is for Preschool through 6th grade. The hours are 7:30 to 5:30. We will be taking 2 field trips: one to Beasley’s Orchard and one to the Indianapolis Zoo. On the other days kids get to go swimming at Zionsville High School. There is something fun planned every day that week!! The cost is $75/day for K-6th and $85/day for Preschool. Please register at www.ezchildtrack.com/zcsgrow/parent. If you have any questions, please contact Becca King at firstname.lastname@example.org. It’s a fun week to celebrate Fall!.
- Before and After-School Care (BAC) is now full at our PVE site.
- Kindergarten Bridge and Early Start Spanish are optional, fee based programs that “bridge” the time between the 7:50-8:00 arrival time for 1st-4th grade students, and the start of the instructional day for Kindergarten students, which is 8:50-9:00.
- Access Days Care provides a childcare option for when school is not in session for parents who need care for their children during some of the school breaks during the year.
- Eagle Rec (ERE) offers fee based programs in a variety of interest areas - see link above for classes offered at PVE
PVE Food Service/Café Information
ZCS Food Service News
- Public school lunch cost returns for the 2022-2023 school year, unless students qualify for meal assistance.
- Please click here to read all of the important information regarding school lunch for this year, including costs, nutrition, menus, and how to use SchoolPay for your child's lunch money.
- Please visit the ZCS Food Services Department section on our ZCS website for easy access to SchoolPay, how to apply for meal assistance, and more!
Visitor and Volunteer Procedures
During the school day, all volunteers are expected to check in at the front office. Prior to the volunteer opportunity, all volunteers must sign a Non-disclosure Acknowledgement Form and have successfully completed a Full Criminal History Background Check.. Necessary background check paperwork is available on the ZCS website at the Volunteers/BRAVO link and should be submitted at least 10 days prior to the intended volunteer date. Volunteers must also view the state mandated confidentiality/bullying video, provided on the Volunteer/BRAVO website. The volunteer will pay the fee for the full background check which will expire after 5 years.
During the school day, all visitors must enter via the front door and sign-in at the front office. Visitors need to be prepared to present a government issued photo ID which will be scanned against the National Sex Offender Registry. All visitors will be issued a visitor badge/tag to be worn inside the building at all times. Visitors other than parents/guardians must be prearranged and organized through the main office.
TEDx Zionsville - Thursday, October 6th
Have you ever seen a TED Talk online? If so, you are familiar with the iconic format of TEDx events. Be part of the inaugural TEDxZionsville event on Thursday, October 6 at the STAR Bank Performing Arts Center in Zionsville. This locally organized TEDx event will explore ideas around the theme: Sense of Place. Selected speakers and performers will share their unique perspectives on this theme in TED-talk style challenging you to consider, what does sense of place mean to you? What does it mean for our community?