Blue Valley North's Parent Newsletter - April 8, 2022
In this Newsletter …
Athletic Signing Ceremony
Kudos & Celebrations
Guide to 4th Quarter
Prom 2022 & Link to Tickets
BVN Bell Schedules
Mark Your Calendar
The Mustang Club Spirit Wear
Cheer Tryout Information
Dance Team Tryout
Durham Bus Information
Blue Valley North Athletic Signing Ceremony - May 4, 2022
Does your student plan to play their sport at the collegiate level next year? We would like to congratulate and celebrate them in a signing ceremony at 3:00 p.m. in the BVN Commons on Wednesday, May 4. Cake and water will be provided by The Mustang Club. Please contact Teresa Anderson, BVN Athletic Administrative Assistant, by phone: 913-239-3011 or email: email@example.com. Information will be sent to you about the ceremony. Thank you!
Kudos and Celebrations!
BVN Student earns NATIONAL Award (new)
Last Weekend: BVN Junior, Oliver Zhang, WON the High School Level of the International Trumpet Guild’s National Trumpet Competition (NTC). The NTC is recognized as the TOP competition for trumpet performers in the world. Oliver’s win is INCREDIBLE – a first in BVN History – ranking him among the top musicians in the country.
Congratulations BVN Shooting Stars (new)
Each year the Arts Council of Johnson County sponsors the Shooting Stars Scholarship Competition. Every high school in Johnson County can nominate one finalist in nine categories: Literature, 2-D Visual Art, 3-D Visual Art, Photography, Production & Design, Theatre Performance, Classical Voice, Strings, Winds and Percussion. Our BVN Finalists completed a competitive audition/application process against the top students from across JOCO. HUGE Congratulations to our Scholarship Winners!!
- John Muldoon, Clarinet: 1st place/top scholarship in the Wind/Percussion Category!!
- El O’Brien, Runner-up in Literature!!
BVN Band/Color Guard Students and Directors at the Winter Park Festival Awards ceremony.
Front Row L to R: John Muldoon, Emily Nelson, Nash Rosado, Bella Holtorf
Back Row: Mr. Freeman, Mr. Wagoner, Harry Wang, Quinn Koffman, Kelsey Chellberg, Mrs. Sipes, Madison Dean
Congrats Band and Color Guard (new)
HUGE Congratulations to our Band and Color Guard students, who traveled to Colorado to perform in the Winter Park Ski-Music Festival last weekend. The festival featured 19 schools from all over the country, and our BVN Performers had an INCREDIBLE Weekend! Divisions are are based on school size.
- BVN Jazz Ensemble – “Outstanding” Rating and Best Jazz Ensemble in our Division!!
- BVN Combined Concert and Symphonic Bands – “Outstanding” Rating and 2nd Best Band in our Division!!
- BVN Wind Ensemble – “Superior” Performance rating (the highest Possible)!!!
- BVN Color Guard indoor show – “Superior” Performance Rating AND “Best in Show” award for the Top Overall Color Guard!!
Accounting I ~ 8th place ~ Aryan Virany
Accounting II ~ 6th place ~ Tate Wichman
Advertising ~ 6th place ~ Anna Hamilton
Agribusiness ~ 2nd place ~ Kayoko Thornton
Broadcast Journalism (team) ~ 2nd place ~ Louise Caron, Molly McCartan
Business Calculations ~ 4th place ~ Thomas Gaffney
Business Calculations ~ 6th place ~ Emma Razi
Business Communications ~ 7th place ~ Emma Razi
Business Ethics (team) ~ 2nd place ~ Rahul Chavali, David Stutz, Prabhav Pagadala
Business Law ~ 4th place ~ Lizzie Place
Business Plan (team) ~ 2nd place ~ Joy Yan, Harris Wilson, Austin Lo
Coding & Programming (team) ~ 1st place ~ Nathan Bronson, Rahul Chavali
Cyber Security ~ 6th place ~ Caleb Deng
Digital Video Production (team) ~ 2nd place ~ Rahul Chavali, Ryan Parisi, Joe Thummel
Economics ~ 6th place ~ Thomas Gaffney
Electronic Career Portfolio ~ 2nd place ~ Sanvika Inturi
Health Care Administration ~ 6th place ~ Anna Hamilton
Human Resource Management ~ 3rd place ~ Anna Hamilton
Impromptu Speaking ~ 7th place ~ Anna Hamilton
International Business (team) ~ 4th place ~ Zachary Amsterdam, Aneesh Vasamreddy
Intro to Business Communication ~ 10th place ~ Caroline Place
Intro to Business Concepts ~ 9th place ~ Samuel Lozaw
Intro to Business Presentation (team) ~ 3rd place ~ Caroline Massman, Adele Van Lieshout
Intro to Business Procedures ~ 8th place ~ Caleb Deng
Intro to Event Planning (team) ~ 4th place ~ Julie Jeffries, Addison Stout
Intro to Financial Math ~ 6th place ~ Joshua Shin
Intro to Financial Math ~ 7th place ~ Samuel Lozaw
Intro to Parliamentary Procedure ~ 1st place ~ Adele Van Lieshout
Intro to Public Speaking ~ 6th place ~ Caroline Massman
Journalism ~ 2nd place ~ Arshiya Pant
Journalism ~ 6th place ~ Kayoko Thornton
Management Information Systems ~ 2nd place ~ Lakin Hobrock, Abbi Patterson
Marketing (team) ~ 3rd place ~ Eric Garretson, Johnathan Subramanian
Networking Infrastructures ~ 9th place ~ Adele Van Lieshout
Organizational Leadership ~ 1st place ~ Sanvika Inturi
Personal Finance ~ 8th place ~ Julie Jeffries
Personal Finance ~ 9th place ~ Eric Garretson
Political Science ~ 1st place ~ Brenna Coleman
Public Service Announcement (team) ~ 1st place ~ Lizzie Place, Caroline Place
Securities & Investment ~ 9th place ~ Aryan Virany
Securities & Investment ~ 10th place ~ Johnathan Subramanian
Social Media Strategies ~ 1st place ~ Asher Kort, Eli Amsterdam
Spreadsheet Application ~ 8th place ~ Quentin Schafer
Supply Chain Management ~ 2nd place ~ Jerry Xia
Supply Chain Management ~ 3rd place ~ Alana Campbell
UX Design ~ 2nd place ~ Jerry Xia
UX Design ~ 9th place ~ Louise Caron
Blue Valley North's Guide to Fourth Quarter 2022
Counseling, Academics & Testing
Click Here For BVN's Counseling Webpage for information about:
- Virtual summer school is open for enrollment through April 15th with the exception of credit recovery classes, which accepts enrollmen into the 1st of June. Register through ParentVue. See more information here: https://www.bluevalleyk12.org/summerprograms .
- Blue Valley Schools presents “Off-Script,” on April 13th, an evening to discuss substance abuse trends following the pandemic. More info can be found here: https://bvusd.instructure.com/courses/76177/pages/district-mental-health-events
- Senior scholarships can be found on Naviance Home page->College tab->Scholarship Search https://student.naviance.com/bluevalleynhs
- Check out school year and Summer Opportunities - Opportunities .
- Juniors and Seniors can sign up to attend college admission rep visits to BVN - Naviance Home page->Colleges tab->College Visits https://student.naviance.com/bluevalleynh
- Junior College Planning Information here - College and Career Planning
- Visit the Counseling Virtual Calming Room
- Visit the Counseling Home Page to find additional resources or contact information for Counselors and other Student Services staff.
Questions? Contact Sarah King @ (913)239-3016 or SKing@bluevalleyk12.org .
Senior Information for the Class of 2022
Save the date for 2022 Graduation: Sunday, May 22, at 7 p.m. at the District Activity Center, 13310 Switzer, Overland Park, Kansas 66213. Rain date is Wednesday, May 25 at 6 p.m. There are no tickets required and there is no limit on seating.
TO DO: If you or a guest plan to attend class day or graduation and need an ASL interpreter, please email Lisa Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org by April 15. Please note that graduation will be livestreamed with live captioning.
Senior Info page: Click HERE to access:
- A link to audition to give a Senior Speech at Class Day or Graduation
- The schedule of Senior Final Exams
- Scholarship info
- Info about ordering your cap & gown--Seniors can check the list at Mrs. Miller's desk to confirm if they have/have not ordered yet.
- A link to authorize the release of your student's transcript for college applications
- Info about the Balfour shipping schedule
- A downloadable image of Senior Events (shown below)
One of the most anticipated events, aside from Graduation, is the Senior Celebration to be held on May 13th from 11:45 am to 3:00 pm on the BVN West Turf Field. It is the official Kick-off to Graduation activities, and is supported by the BVN Student Council, the Mustang Club and the Father's Club. There will be a live DJ, complimentary food trucks, inflatables, and snacks. Also, the yearbooks will be distributed at this event! Your Seniors will not want to miss it! We need your help to make it a success though. Please access this SignUpGenius below to support the Senior Celebration:
Questions? Contact BVN Activities: Lisa Miller @ email@example.com .
Seniors who attended Overland Trail Elementary
Save the Date! Please join us for our Senior Reunion Open House on Wednesday, May 11th, from 4:00-4:45 p.m. in the OTE library. You can walk through the school, look at yearbooks, and visit with some of your favorite teachers! Refreshments will be served. We hope to see you!
Parent-Sponsored Project Grad
A group of parents are coordinating Project Grad for our seniors following graduation. Please reach out to them if you would like to get involved with Project Grad or if you would like your senior to attend this event. This event will provide a fun and safe celebration for senior students on May 22, from 9:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m. It will be held at Chicken n Pickle (135th and Lamar) and will include games, food, prizes, and more! To get added to the distribution list please use the sign-up genius: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/409084ba8af29a20-bvnsenior. Any questions should be emailed to ProjectGradBVN@gmail.com.
Blue Valley North Prom ~ Hilltop ~ April 9, 8:00 - 10:00 p.m.
Get excited, Mustangs, because Junior/Senior Prom is tomorrow! Prom will be held on April 9th, 2022 at Hilltop from 8:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m. The theme is "A Night in the Enchanted Forest." Tickets will be sold at the entrance to the dance for $35 per person. Food (mini donuts) and drinks will be provided. REMINDER: Prom is only for upperclassmen, however, underclassmen may be invited as a date by an upperclassman. All students will need a form of ID (driver's license or student ID). We can't wait to see you on this magical night!
Here is a ticket link to purchase tickets (or scan the QR code above):
THANK YOU to the Junior families who donated items for the 4 prom raffle baskets! All students attending prom will receive 4 free chances to win the baskets. Winners will be drawn at prom, and winners will receive their baskets at prom!
BVN Bell Schedules ~ North Time will return on Fridays
When there are five days in the school week, the Bell Schedule will be Odd, Even, Odd, Even, Traditional Day. On Monday, Wednesday and Friday, school begins at 7:40 a.m. On Tuesday and Thursday, school begins at 8:25 a.m. (see below). If you want a copy for home, ask your student to stop by the BVN main office.
Mark Your Calendar for Blue Valley North's April and May 2022
The Mustang Club Spring Sports Spirit Wear -- Shop Now!
Fostering A Safe School Environment
Blue Valley Schools is committed to promoting and fostering a safe environment in and around all of our schools. Through the convergence of physical and intellectual security measures, we are continuously working to prevent, mitigate, respond to and recover from a wide range of emergencies. Please check out available ways to report safety concerns.
Are you moving? Have you moved?
Please contact the BVN Registrar, Suzy Doherty, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Color Guard (new)
Attention BVN Freshman, Sophomores, and Juniors! For next year - join one of the most positive, empowering, and inclusive groups at BVN – our Color Guard! The Color Guard performs with our Marching Mustangs in the fall, and is an amazing group to be a part of! It combines dance fundamentals with equipment work (spinning flags, etc) to be the featured visual impact of our overall marching show. NO EXPERIENCE REQUIRED! We train everyone from beginner status on, every year . We would love to have YOU in our Color Guard!
Try-outs for next year’s color guard are next week:
- Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, 4/12 – 4/13 – 4/14 – Audition Prep clinics in the main gym, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
- Friday 4/15, 3:30 – 5:00 p.m. Official try-outs in the main gym.
Join the Red Cross Club Board Today - deadline April 15! (new)
Are you interested in serving your community by learning how to provide humanitarian aid and disaster relief? If so, become a board member for the 2022-2023 school year! Red Cross Club covers topics such as First Aid, disaster preparedness, CPR & AED trainings, and blood drives! We will be accepting board applications until April 15th! If you are interested in applying for the board or joining the club for the upcoming school year, email the school nurse, Amanda Collichio, at email@example.com or Jacob Spadoni at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2022-2023 Dance Team Information Meeting
Any dancer interested in auditioning for next year's dance team should fill out the Google Form at the link below. This is how we will collect emails to distribute information about important dates and more. If there are any questions about tryouts, please contact Coach Thompson at email@example.com. Can't wait to see you there!
BOYS STATE 2022 JUNE 5-11! “Boys State is a practical opportunity to learn leadership skills through role play civic exercise.” Applications are available for high school sophomores and juniors to attend Boys State 2022. You can find more information at https://ksbstate.org/. Boys State will take place on the Kansas State University campus. If cost is an issue, please contact the KS Boys State Main Office (see FAQs). Questions? Contact Catie Bosch, firstname.lastname@example.org .
Medical Messages (updates)
Attention 10th Grade Parents (new)
Dear 10th Grade Parents,
Immunization requirements for school entry in the State of Kansas require 11th grade students over 16 years old to have their 2nd dose of the Meningococcal Vaccine (Serogroup A, C, W, and Y); first does should have been given in 7th grade.
If your student needs a dose of the MCV4 vaccine, I will send you a letter in the mail with more information. Letters go out on April 15 for students who have not had a dose of Meningococcal and May 1 for students who need their second dose. Of course, you are welcome to call me with any questions at any time.
Amanda Collichio, BSN, RN
School Nurse Information and Clinic Hours
The Nurse's office is open M – F: 7:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. It closes for lunch 10:00 - 10:30 a.m. except in the case of an emergency. Nurse Amanda Collichio is available to assist students with their health needs, first-aid and medical conditions. For help, contact Nurse Amanda at (913) 239-3013 or AJCollichio@bluevalleyk12.org .
Prescription Meds at BVN
This is reminder to parents: All prescription medications must be accompanied by this written authorization from a physician or other person licensed to prescribe medications, for the administration of that medication at school. All prescription medications to be administered at school must be in their original containers with the label intact. Students shouldn’t be self-carrying unlabeled prescription medications or any prescription medications. Questions? Email Nurse Amanda Collichio at email@example.com.
MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic Info
Testing/Drop off location: MAWD labs 14950 Newton Drive Overland Park, KS (Northwest of CAPS on the Blue Valley District Office Campus).
Hours of Operation
Monday-Friday 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Sunday 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
New! Online Scheduling and Registration for MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic
The MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic now can accept online appointments and registrations.
- Step 1: Book an appointment online (https://mawdbvsd.simplybook.us/v2/ )(up to 6 people per appointment/car)
- Step 2: If you have not done so already, create an online account (https://c19order.com/school/enrollment) for parent/guardian. Please note that to login into the account in the future, username is the parent/guardian email address.
- Complete a form for the child needing COVID-19 testing and submit. Create forms for additional household members by clicking “Add Individual.”
- Receive a QR code via email for each family member needing testing. Keep this code as it will need to be shown upon arrival for each appointment.
- Call (913) 239-4371 and leave a message if you have questions. Calls will be returned in the order received.
- A parent/guardian will need to complete a consent form and must be with the student at the Drive-In Clinic to give verbal permission at the time of testing.
- Tests: Nasal self-swab and saliva PCR tests are both offered at the clinic. Individuals will need to refrain from eating or drinking 30 minutes prior to the saliva test.
- Test results are sent to the provided email/text address and to Blue Valley Health Services generally within 12-16 hours. They are not sent to building nurses.
Students and families who wish to access PCR testing, may use the MAWD COVID-19 Drive-In Testing Clinic or any other community COVID-19 testing* location.
BV MAWD Hours for April's Professional Development Days: *** BY APPOINTMENT ONLY or to drop off already completed test kits
- Sunday, April 17 - Clinic Closed
- Monday, April 18 - Clinic Closed
- Tuesday, April 19 - Clinic Open 8:00 am - 3:30 pm
- Wednesday, April 20 - Regular hours resume
- BV MAWD Hours for Last Day of School: *** BY APPOINTMENT ONLY or to drop off already completed test kits
- Thursday, May 26 - Clinic Open 8:00 am - 3:30 pm
BV MAWD Regular Hours: *** BY APPOINTMENT ONLY or to drop-off already completed test kits
- Monday-Thursday: 8am-6pm
- Friday: 8am-3:30pm
- Sunday: 10am-2pm
- MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic will be closed whenever school is canceled for inclement weather.
- MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic will operate on regular hours if there is an emergency closing for other reasons, such as high staff absences or transportation absences.
BV MAWD Courier Pickup Times:
- Monday-Thursday @ 11:30am and 5:45pm
- Friday @ 11am and 4:15pm
- Sunday @ 2:15pm
Normal dropoff hours at the MAWD Labs Headquarters: 11070 Strang Line Rd, Lenexa, KS 66215
- Monday - Friday: 8am-9pm
- Saturday/Sunday & Holiday Hours: 8am-3:30pm
- Inclement Weather Schedule
- The MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic will be closed whenever school is cancelled for inclement weather.
- MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic will operate on regular hours if there is an emergency closing for other reasons, such as high staff or transportation absences.
Additional information about MAWD’s Drive-In Testing Clinic is available on the district website. General COVID-19 resources from Johnson County Department of Health and Environment, community testing locations and vaccine information from Children’s Mercy can be found on the district website.
Blue Valley families can find a variety of COVID-19 resources on the district website including general COVID-19 information, community testing locations and vaccine information from Children’s Mercy.
Durham Bus Riders
Durham will continue to transport our bus riders in the 2021-22 school year. If you have questions, please call Durham at 913-681-2492. The best time to call is between 9:00 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. when more staff are available to answer questions.
Durham Bus Services has three helpful tools for families with bus riders. Registration is required each year for families as bus routes and participants change:
- Bus Tracker: The Blue Valley Durham location will be using the Bus Tracker mobile app that is available for iOS and Android devices. To use the app, users will create an account that is tied to an email address of the user’s choice. The tool will allow account users to follow the route of a specific bus. Durham is updating daily when a scheduled backup bus is being used for a planned maintenance activity. If a bus is replaced with a quick turnaround due to an unforeseen event, Durham dispatch will make the switch on Bus Tracker at their next opportunity to update the app.
- Text Messaging: Families are still encouraged to sign up for Durham Text Messaging. The system is designed to share the “why” as Bus Tracker is designed to tell the “where”. To sign up for Durham Text Messaging visit www.bluevalleydurham.com.
- E-Link: Allows for verification of a student’s transportation information (i.e., stop location, bus # and pick-up and drop off times) based on the input of grade and home address. To access E-Link, go to www.bluevalleydurham.com.
We are Mustang Proud!
North Notes is published most Fridays during the school year. North Notes is a newsletter for the parents and students of Blue Valley North High School. If you have questions, please contact Janet Roush, Assistant to the Principal, at JRoush@bluevalleyk12.org .
BVN Main Office Hours: 7:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m., Monday - Friday