We Are Together Tamanend!
September 4, 2020
We Can't Wait to Connect with You on Tuesday, September 8 for the First Day of School!
We are ready and excited to see our virtual classes on Tuesday, September 8! Everyone has first day "jitters". This is something that doesn't change--regardless of if we are in a virtual or in-person environment. In addition, everyone gets a little bit lost on the first day of school looking for their classrooms, trying to locate the nearest bathroom, or trying to find their friends at lunch in the Cafeteria. In a virtual environment, it is normal to expect that you might have some trouble accessing your new classes. Please remember that it is OK! We will all work together to establish new routines and to get used to accessing our classes and interacting with our teachers and classmates virtually. If you're feeling the first day jitters, please take a deep breath and remember that we are "Tamanend Together". There are many people here to help you when you need it. And you can be the person who helps someone else when they need it. That's what it means to be together.
The graphic above shows how students can access classes each day. Teachers will also review this and other important technology-related topics during the first weeks of school. Please see the information below to see how you will log on to your first class on Tuesday morning.
Have a great first day,
Where Do I Go To Log On to My Classes on the First Day of School?
Tuesday, September 8 is the first day of classes at Tamanend and it is an A Day. You will start the day with your 1st Period A Day class. You can access all your Teams links for each period on Canvas; however, your 1st Period A Day teacher will send an email to your CBSD email with the link to your 1st Period A Day class so you know exactly where to start the day.
"Good Morning Tamanend" Daily Announcements
Reminder--Virtual Learning Middle School Class Schedule
Office Hours: Office hours will occur on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Students may choose to use office hours to get help from their teachers. Teachers will explain how to access their office hours sessions.
Advisory: Students will log on to their Advisory class only on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Attendance will be taken.
Resource: Students will log into their Resource class on B Days. When students get their class schedule, they will see that they have Resource on B Days--7th Grade Resource is 1st or 2nd Period; 8th Grade Resource is 4th or 5th Period; 9th Grade Resource is 6th or 7th Period. Resource is another time to get extra help from teachers. When students log on to their Resource class, their Resource teacher will take attendance and will inform them if one of their teachers needs to work with them. At that time, students will leave their Resource class's Teams call and will log on to their teacher's "Help" Teams call. Teachers will explain how to do this during the first week of classes.
Reminder--How to Read Your Schedule
- See green below: The columns across the top show each Marking Period (Term MP1, Term MP2, Term MP3, Term MP4). You will see that most of your Specials classes will change after the 2nd Marking Period.
- See blue below: These are our class periods. You will see "HR" after 2nd Period. This is for Advisory. You will log into your Advisory class only on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Under Advisory, you will see something called "Success Plan". That is an activity you will complete in your Advisory class. On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays after 2nd Period, you do not have to log into Advisory. Instead, you can work with any teacher for extra help. Your teachers will explain how to access extra help.
- See red below: Specials classes and Resource run on and A Day/B Day schedule. 7th Graders have Specials and Resource 1st and 2nd Periods; 8th Graders have Specials and Resource 4th and 5th Periods; 9th Graders have Specials and Resource 6th and 7th Periods. Every school day alternates between A Day and B Day. The first day of school (September 8th) will be an A Day. That means the second day of school (September 9th) will be a B Day. September 10 will be an A Day again. The pattern continues like this for the whole school year.
- Please note: You may see times indicated on your schedule from Portal. They reflect the class times we will use when we return to in-person learning. Class times during virtual learning follow the virtual learning class schedule (posted above).
Tamanend Hosts 2020-2021 Virtual Orientation
Smile! We Can't Wait to See You!
CALENDAR ITEMS TO NOTE
Laptop Distribution for 7th Graders--Week of August 31. Please make sure you have completed the laptop agreement, paid the technology fee, and signed up for a pick up time slot here.
First Day of Classes--Tuesday, September 8
Back to School Night (all grades)--Thursday, September 17 at 7:00 PM. This event will be held virtually. Links to event to be released.
Required Dental Exams for 7th Graders--Proof of a dental exam due by October 15, 2020. Any dental exam since September of 2019 is acceptable.
Please Register on Family ID
UPCOMING TAMANEND EVENTS
Reminder--Student Schedules Are Available on Portal
Student schedules are available on the Portal starting on September 2.
QUOTES AROUND TAMANEND
HELPFUL REMINDERS ABOUT TAMANEND PROCEDURES
Teachers will be taking attendance every class period during virtual learning. If your child is unable to participate in virtual learning during all or part of the day due to illness or medical appointment, please report your child's absence in any of the following ways:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone (Attendance hotline): 267-893-2920
VIRTUAL LEARNING RESOURCES
Tamanend's Virtual Learning Quick Resource Guide
FROM OUR INNOVATION AND TECHNOLOGY DEPARTMENT
Technology Recommendations for a Smooth Start to the First Day of School
We are currently working to ensure all students have a device for next week. To ensure a smooth start on the first day of school, we are providing some technology recommendations.
- Device Set-up: Please be sure to test that your laptop and/or iPad turns on prior to school. Restart devices a few times to get the latest updates.
- Teams Practice Call: All students should test their web cam, microphone, and speakers today. Visit this site for information on how to test your equipment and how to use Teams: https://www.cbsd.org/Page/63271
- Student Username and Passwords: All students should log in prior to the start of school. All students K-12 will be prompted to input additional security information upon logging into any Office365 programs. This is required and activates the ability for students to reset their own password when necessary. Please visit our Password Guide to learn more about this topic: https://www.cbsd.org/Page/63155
- Getting Support: We have multiple layers of support available for students. Please try to test all equipment today so that you have time to receive support prior to the first day of school. If you are missing any items, please purchase them on our site. Visit our tech support page to learn about all levels of assistance we will provide: https://www.cbsd.org/Page/63431
- Virtual Workflow for Students: It is important that all students know how to access their first Teams call for the first day of school. The workflow for accessing Teams calls for all students is explained in this graphic: https://tinyurl.com/yyxo3686
- iPad Troubleshooting: All K-2 iPads were set up over the summer and then shut down. Some apps are still trying to install upon connecting to home WiFi. In this process, we are finding some iPads have one or more apps that are “stuck” installing. Please follow these trouble-shooting steps to resolve this issue: https://tinyurl.com/yxfzkcql
Thank you for all of your support during the start of schools. Visit https://www.cbsd.org/1to1 frequently to receive updates on our program.
Grade 3-12 Technology Orientation
The district's technology and innovation department has prepared a number of training modules for families to help them navigate the technology resources students will use. Families will find modules for Canvas, Office 365, Microsoft Teams, and more. Watch this brief video to learn more about this resource: https://vimeo.com/454512961. You can find this resource at www.cbsd.org/1to1 by clicking "Grade 3-12 Technology Orientation."
Reminder--Student Laptop Fees (7th & 8th Graders and New Students) and Laptop Pick Up (7th Graders)
All Tamanend students will have a district-issued laptop. 7th Graders will be issued new laptops. 8th and 9th Graders will use the same laptop they used last year. Students new to the school district will be issued a new laptop. 7th Graders can pick up their laptops the Week of August 31, by signing up for a time by clicking here.
The following actions are required by parents of 7th and 8th Grade students and parents of any student new to Central Bucks School District. No action is required for parents of returning 9th Grade students.
1--Complete the laptop user agreement.
2--Pay the fee* through the MyPaymentsPlus system:
7th Graders: $75 (covers 7th, 8th, 9th Grade years)
returning 8th Graders: $25 (covers 8th and 9th Grade years)
returning 9th Graders: no fee (no action required)
*Families who qualify for the Free/Reduced Lunch Program will automatically receive a $0 fee in MyPayments Plus. Even though the fee is waived, families must still "checkout" to complete this step and be marked as paid on our technology report. If your child does not qualify for the Free/Reduced Lunch Program, but you are experiencing a financial hardship, please email Dr. Brian Caughie (email@example.com) to discuss payment reduction options.
Click here to learn more about the program, access the user agreement, and access the MyPaymentsPlus system.
FROM OUR MUSIC DEPARTMENT
FROM OUR HEALTH OFFICE
Required 7th Grade Dental Exams
The current immunization requirements for the 2020-2021 school year are as follows:
Children in kindergarten through 12th grade are required to have the following vaccines:
· 4 doses DtaP – diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis (one dose must be on or after the 4th birthday)
· 4 doses Polio (one dose must be on or after the 4th birthday)
· 2 doses MMR – measles, mumps, rubella
· 3 doses Hepatitis B
· 2 doses Varicella (chicken pox)
Children entering 7th grade are also required to have:
· 1 dose Meningococcal Conjugate (meningitis)
· 1 dose Tdap – tetanus, diphtheria and acellular pertussis
To check the immunization status of your student, go to the Portal and click on the Health tab.
Please email proof of new vaccinations to our certified school nurse, Mrs. Lauren Myrtetus at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail it to us at 1492 Stuckert Rd. Warrington, PA 18976
FROM OUR CAFETERIA
Reminder--Free & Reduced Lunch/Breakfast Application
Breakfast and Lunch Available to All Students at No Cost
During the period of online-only learning to begin the 2020-21 school year, grab-n-go breakfast and lunch will be available to all students at no cost. The student does not need to be present at pickup. Meal distribution will occur as follows beginning on the first day of school, September 8, 2020:
- Meals will be available for pickup at the following locations on Mondays and Thursdays, from 10:30 a.m. until 12:30 p.m.:
- CB East
- CB South
- CB West
- Barclay Elementary School
- Groveland Elementary School
- Meal distribution will occur on Mondays and Thursdays from 10:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- Distribution will be held on Tuesday 9/8/20, not on Monday 9/7/20
- Distribution will be held on Tuesday 9/29/20, not on Monday 9/28/20
At no cost, breakfast and lunch will also be provided to any student who is attending the district's limited in-person programming during the online-only period. Details will be provided by building principals.
RESOURCES AND ASSISTANCE
Help with Resources
If you are experiencing a financial hardship, please know that the staff members listed below can help you and your family. We can provide assistance with food, clothing, field trips, student fees, internet access, and other issues. Please don't hesitate to contact us:
Brian Caughie, Principal email@example.com
Kyle Dudley, Assistant Principal firstname.lastname@example.org
Lauren Myrtetus, Certified School Nurse email@example.com
Jeff Klein, Guidance Counselor firstname.lastname@example.org
Mandy Cammann, Guidance Counselor email@example.com
GETTING INVOLVED AND STAYING CONNECTED WITH TAMANEND
Ways to Stay Connected with Tamanend
Here is a list of ways Tamanend communicates with students, families, and the community:
- Tamanend website: includes important information, resources, calendar of school events, and daily announcements
- Calendar of school events (posted on our website)
- Daily announcements (scrolling on TV screens during school day and posted on our website)
- TV show (weekly, during Advisory period)
- Email blasts from Tamanend administration regarding important news, new procedures, and reminders
- Parent Portal: student information, grades, and attendance
- Tamanend Connections newsletter: useful information, important reminders, and school highlights emailed weekly during school year and posted on Tamanend website
- Twitter: @CBTamanendMS highlights of activities, events, and daily life at Tamanend
- CBSD app: highlights of activities, events, and daily life in Central Bucks
Para nuestras familias hispanohablantes...
¡Bienvenidos a Tamanend! Yo soy Brian Caughie, Director de Tamanend Middle School. Soy hispanohablante. Pasé mucho de mi vida en España. Estoy aquí para apoyarles a todos los estudiantes y familias en Tamanend. Favor de llamarme or escribirme (en inglés o en español) si Ud. tiene cualquier duda o pregunta.
Correo electrónico: firstname.lastname@example.org
Oficina: (267) 893-2900