Teaching Comprehension Strategies
Mastering Figure 19 Meta-Cognitive Strategies
February 4, 2019 / San Antonio, TX
Reading for Meaning
In this energizing, fast-paced seminar, educators will learn research-based strategies students need to use to process a variety of texts. Take your students from think alouds to literature circles as they learn to think about the text and beyond the text. Explore ready-to-use techniques and activities to help student master the TEKS Figure 19 Comprehension Strategies. Kelly Harmon will provide instruction, activities, and ideas for engaging students in close and recreational reading.
Specifically designed for Grades K-12, ELAR teachers, Special Education Staff, Resource Teachers, Title I Staff, Reading Interventionist, Campus Instructional Coaches, Administrators, and any Educators working with students in the area of ELAR.
Reading is Thinking!
Top Ten Reasons to Attend
Expand Your Teacher Expertise1. Expand your knowledge of ALL Figure 19 comprehension strategies!
Rigorous Reading in Your Classroom
2. Explore instructional strategies for developing and deepening comprehension
Strengthening Your Student's Reading Proficiency
3. Learn inferencing, questioning, and connecting strategies to get students intentionally reading. Also explore authentic activities to get students reading rigorously.
4. Technology ideas that incorporate reading and writing about reading in new ways!
Ways to Monitor Comprehension
5. Explore ideas on how students and educators can monitor students comprehension.
6. Learn new tools to use when planning reading instruction.
Use Genre Knowledge to Support Understanding
7. Develop your knowledge of each genre, structures, elements, variations of text, and more!
Engage Students in Purposeful Practice
8. Explore techniques for incorporating strategy practice across the curriculum.
Build Your Student's Fluency
9. Learn how to incorporate fun fluency activities to boost students confidence and comprehension.
Writing To Respond to Reading
10. Discover how to use writing to strengthen reading comprehension. See templates, ideas, and activities for writing to respond to reading.
Topics to Be Covered
- TEKS Figure 19 Comprehension Strategies
- Making Inferences
- Close Reading Techniques
- Reading Resources for Rigorous Texts
- Analyzing Authors' Craft Ideas
- Writing About Reading
- Literature Circles with Rigor
- Teaching Students to Ask Questions
- Making Connections Within and Across Texts
- Summarization Strategies
- Helping Students Monitor Their Comprehension
- And Much More!
About Our Presenter
Comprehension Strategies (Fig. 19) Seminar
Monday, Feb. 4th, 8:30am
850 Halm Boulevard
San Antonio, TX
Wifi is provided
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
February 4, 2019 / 8:30am - 3:30pm
$225 per participant
Group discounts available for groups of 4+.
6 Hours of Professional Development Credit Will Be Awarded
PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR REGISTRATION FORM AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, EVEN IF IT IS AHEAD OF YOUR PAYMENT. This will let us know to reserve you a seat for the training in the event we have a sold out event.
You can register by Calling, or Emailing your registration form in.
To pay by credit card, call our office at (817) 583-1290. We will send you a link to pay your registration fee online through our billing system. Credit Card payments must be received before the date of the seminar.
To pay by purchase order, submit your district PO by email. Please make PO's payable to Kelly Harmon & Associates. Purchase Orders must be received before the date of the seminar. Please contact us if you require a W9 form.
To pay by check, please make checks payable to Kelly Harmon & Associates and mail to 374 Lantana Crossing Spring Branch, TX 78070. Checks must be received before the date of the seminar.
Call (817) 583-1290
For more Information Please contact us!
Can't Make the Seminar?
Practicing Skills, Strategies, & Processes
Kelly Harmon & Robert Marzano teamed up to write Practicing Skills, Strategies, & Processes. The book is part of the Essentials for Achieving Rigor Series.
Practicing Skills, Strategies, & Processes: Classroom Techniques to Help Students Develop Proficiency explores explicit techniques for mastering this crucial strategy of instructional practice. It includes:
- Explicit steps for implementation
- Recommendations for monitoring students’ ability to develop fluent thinking
- Adaptations for students who struggle, have special needs, or excel in learning
- Examples and non-examples from classroom practice
- Common mistakes and ways to avoid them