We Are Together Tamanend!
December 8, 2014
November Boomerang Honoree
Last week we had a Boomerang Recognition Breakfast where we recognized all November nominees, in particular, we congratulated 8th grader, James L, for being a role model of Responsibility. James consistently accepts and takes personal responsibility in our school community. He is a genuine person and his word is to be trusted. A leader by example, he is always willing to be honest when things do not go perfectly. James has character in the highest degree and he gets along with both peers and teachers with ease! James is always willing to help others. He is always helpful to his family and peers. We thank James for being a true example of responsibility here at Tamanend!
Pictured above: James and his Mom with Mrs. Leatherbarrow
Mrs. Reitz Goes to Greece
Over Thanksgiving, Mrs. Reitz had the good fortune to travel to Athens, Delphi, and Santorini in Greece through a contest sponsored by the Greek National Tourism Ministry and Global Traveler Magazine. Through this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, she was able to visit the incredible sites where democracy was founded and some of the world’s greatest playwrights, sculptors, philosophers, and political leaders walked nearly three thousand years ago. The entire experience was extremely humbling. Mrs. Reitz and her husband pondered the great civilizations that had come and gone through the winding streets of modern Athens. Throughout her brief but exhilarating trip, she was constantly thinking of her students back at Tamanend--it was hard for her to believe that she was witnessing the buildings and artifacts that they had seen in their textbooks! Mrs. Reitz looks forward to sharing what she learned from her trip with her classes and colleagues this year and for years to come.
The Ancient Oracle was believed to be the center of the world during Classical times. Greeks would travel here to ask the Oracle to communicate with the gods and goddesses before making major life decisions.
In the ruins of Hadrian’s Library (Athens), you will find the remains of a beautiful tile floor design built by the Roman Emperor Hadrian in CE 132. Romans were well known for their mosaic artwork.
This grand temple was dedicated to Athena, the patron goddess of Athens, and was built in only ten years in the mid-400s BCE during the Golden Age of Athens.
KAD for the Holidays
If you are new to Tamanend Middle School, our Kelly Anne Dolan Project is our biggest school-wide service project. We do a lot of fun and creative things to raise money for the Kelly Anne Dolan Memorial Foundation which supports families of chronically and terminally ill children. Two great ways to help us get started on our project are starting now.
- You can purchase KAD Holiday "In-Lieu-of Gift" cards for your friends and family. These are available in the Guidance Office for a donation toward the Memorial Foundation.
- We also have beautiful fashion scarves made by Mrs. Susan Furfari, FCS teacher, for sale in the Guidance Office for $10 a piece (pictured above right)
PDE Asks for Feedback on State Testing
The Pennsylvania Department of Education is asking for feedback regarding testing content used in the PSSA and Keystone exams. Parents, educators, and community members can go to: http://www.paacademicreview.org/ review content, and submit feedback which will aid in the PDE review and revision process.
Nominate a TMS Student for Boomerang Recognition
CB Cares Educational Foundation recognizes and supports the students of Central Bucks School District for living by the 40 Developmental Assets. This month's asset is Cultural Competance: Young person has knowledge of and comfort with people of different cultural, racial, and ethnic backgrounds. They accept and appreciate differences in people; they establish friendships with those from different backgrounds. At Tamanend, we encourage our parents and students to nominate TMS students along with our staff members. Please submit your Boomerang nomination using this online survey. Nominations for this Boomerang Asset are due December 14th.
TMS Parent Council
Thursday, Jan. 15th 2015 at 9am
1492 Stuckert Rd
Parent Council is an open meeting where all parents are welcome to attend to learn more about Tamanend Middle School. At this Parent Council, we will...
- Learn about KAD Day 2015
- Discuss Program Planning (process of picking classes for next year)
- Reflect on our most recent Bully Survey Data
Help Tamanend While You Shop or Recycle
If you use the following vendors, please think about supporting TMS while you shop and recycle:
- If you shop at Target and have a Target Red Card, you can register your card for Target's Take Charge of Education program so that Tamanend receives a percentage of your spending.
- Giant Food Store has an A+ School Rewards program through their clip-less coupon card that gives money to the school you designate every time you shop. Use this link to select Tamanend as your A+ school.
- Use this link to connect to Amazon to shop and Tamanend can earn as much as 15% of what you purchase!
- Clip and send in Box Tops to the attention of the Tamanend National Jr. Honor Society care of Sra. Mars or Sra. Murry.
- If you like to shop online, check out the eScrip Online Mall. When you sign up for an account, selecting Tamanend earns money for our school.
- When you recycle your paper using our Abitibi bin located at the back of our Main Parking Lot, you have not only helped the environment, you help TMS, too.
Notes from Previous Tamanend Connections:
The Tamanend Middle School yearbook advisors will be collecting 9th grade baby pictures for the 2014-2015 yearbook. We are inviting you to include a memento in your child’s yearbook that he or she will remember forever. Submitting your student’s picture is a great way to honor your child in the yearbook at this special time in his or her life. The cost is $5. If you would like to participate in this milestone experience, please click here.
- Students have free access to Office 365 which includes the following programs: Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook. Since students have email accounts now through the district, they must use them when emailing Tamanend teachers.
- Parent Volunteers Needed! Please use this link to chaperone, volunteer and support TMS. The code word is TMS.
Click here for up-to-date calendar information about the 2014-15 school year.
There is a Parent Portal app for your smartphone. Click here for more information.
- Click here to view previous Tamanend Connections from 2014-2015.
- Click here to read previous Backpack Newsflash editions from CB Cares Educational Foundation.
- Students may not arrive to school in the morning until 7:10 AM. That is when staff members are available to supervise students.
- Click here to learn about CBSD efforts against bullying and for resources helpful to parents on this important subject and more.
- To receive text alerts from CBSD, click here.