Athens High School
There are still so many lingering questions you have about graduation, prom, awards day, cap & gowns, cords, etc. I hope within the next few weeks, we will know more and can give you the answers that you are looking for and deserve to have.
Below are two forms that all seniors must complete before the end of the year. They should take you no longer than a few minutes to complete. Please answer these as honest and accurate as possible.
Don't forget to check out the scholarship section. There are a few new local scholarships available.
***MUST COMPLETE THE FOLLOWING***
You must fill this out if you've been offered a scholarship whether you will take it or not. This includes college scholarships, community scholarships, private scholarships, church scholarships, military enlistment, etc.
Yearbook orders should still be available online. Ordering will be open through May 4th. Yearbooks can be purchased at https://www.yearbookordercenter.com/general/homepage?portal=true . This should take you directly to the order page for Athens High School so that you won't have to search for our school.
Senior yearbook ad sales will be available online at yearbookordercenter.com through the end of April. Once you select the ad size you would like to purchase, the website will walk you through each of the steps with a choice of ad templates. If you have any other questions, email Lesley Carter at Lesley.Carter@acs-k12.org.
I have heard from many of you, but I miss you all! Call, email, zoom me. I want to hear from you. If you need me my "office hours" are as follows. I can zoom with you during these times.
Counselor Office Hours
How do I turn in my applications?
If the instructions tell you to turn in your applications to me, you can email them to me at LauraLou.Smith@acs-k12.org or mail them to the school at 655 US Hwy 31 N. Athens, AL 35611. I had previously told some of you that we may have a drop off location. Unfortunately, we cannot offer a drop off due to Gov. Ivey's instructions. Instructions on how to scan documents on your phone are provided on the link below. Applications if mailed must be postmarked by the due date, not necessarily received.
Some applications give instructions for you to send them directly to the address listed.
What if an application requires a counselor signature and/or a transcript?
If it requires a transcript and/or my signature and you must turn it into me, I will add both of those after I receive them from you. If it requires my signature and you are mailing it elsewhere, my signature will be waived by the scholarship committee meaning it is not required any longer. If you need a copy of your transcript, request it through parchment.com and have it sent to your email. You can print off as many as needed.
All scholarships and special opportunities will be listed here in chronological order. This section will continue to grow throughout the year. Keep an eye out as new information is listed. If you see a scholarship that you are interested in and need an application, those are available in the scholarship box in the Guidance Office.
- The Athens Rotary Club Scholarship will be awarded in the amount of $4,000 to one deserving senior. Students must reside in Athens or Limestone County. Selection will be made based upon merit, character, community service, leadership qualities and the potential for future professional growth. Attention will also be given to financial need. Application available https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rcg8flUfxgglF06d9NgHRNgWQ8zuywTw. MAIL applications directly to Rick Mould at103 Masters Dr, Athens, AL 35613. Deadline has been extended to APRIL 30, 2020.
- The Miles Blackwell Foundation's 4Miles Kindness Scholarship Program will award four graduation seniors from AHS with $750 scholarships. Applicants must be attending a post-secondary institute in Fall 2020 and must demonstrate positive-impact involvement. Applications available https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kt44cR_gkGlF2bisAByiGeiH8QXbsBuf. Deadline is April 30, 2020.
- The T.R.A.I.L. Scholarship will be in the amount of $1,000 and is available to all seniors in Athens City & Limestone County schools. Applicants must have a 3.o GPA and 20 ACT or higher and plan to attend a college, trade or tech school in the fall. Special attention will be given to those who have a demonstrated history of involvement in the local community. Applications are available https://drive.google.com/open?id=12HYcx7-bKsMKnhxkB19bCVbtGUJh5LdL. DEADLINE EXTENDED TO MAY 1, 2020.
- The Athens City Educators Great Expectations Scholarship is available for $1000, renewable for second year for $500. Minimum 3.0 GPA and 21 ACT to apply. Applciation available https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mEnLJ8xWJJCGh2PVPZL4dgQRAVwYC_rS. DEADLINE EXTENDED TO MAY 1, 2020.
- The Athens City Educators Future Educator Scholarship will be awarded in the amount of $500. Minimum 3.0 GPA and 21 ACT with plans to pursue an undergraduate degree in education to apply. Application available https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mEnLJ8xWJJCGh2PVPZL4dgQRAVwYC_rS. DEADLINE EXTENDED TO MAY 1, 2020.
- The Jentzen Caleb Risner Superhero Memorial Scholarship was created to honor the memory of Andrew & Lauren Risner’s son, Jentzen Caleb Risner, who lived on this Earth for only 3.5 days. This scholarship exists to honor Jentzen’s memory and to reward students who have fought through life challenges all the while achieving success in high school. Students who have overcome a serious illness or other type of life challenge are encouraged to apply for this scholarship. Applicants must have a 3.0 GPA and plan on attending a 2 or 4 year school. Applications are available https://docs.google.com/document/d/18idTS2LeyoQONOhKRRE31LUp5eNTxYdVBtOl7Q2ucDc/edit?usp=sharing. Deadline is MAY 8, 2020.
Calhoun Warhawks are Calhoun's official student ambassador organization. Students that are accepted as Warhawks receive a partial scholarship equivalent to two 3-semester hour courses during the fall and spring semesters for up to two years. In addition to the scholarship, students are taught hands on leadership and team building skills by assisting with campus receptions, special events, giving campus tours to prospective students, as well as representing the college as the official host/hostess of the college. To apply, visit www.calhoun.edu/warhawks. Deadline is midnight on June 1, 2020.
- The MG Law Scholarship is a $1,000 non-renewal scholarship offered to one student nationwide. Applicants must have a 3.0 GPA & submit a 45-60 second video that creates awareness around how to prevent drunk driving. To enter and for more information, visit https://www.mg4law.com/nationwide-scholarship/. Deadline is July 1, 2020.
- The City Property Management HOA Service Scholarship is available to seniors nationwide and will be awarded in the amount of $1,000. Students must have a 3.0 GPA and be pursueing an education that will lead into real estate. Go to http://cityproperty.com/phoenix#scholarship-link to apply. Deadline is July 31, 2020.
How to Order a Cap & Gown
By now, you need to have ordered your cap & gown. If you have not, you will have to order online. Balfour will no longer come to the school to accept orders. If you only would like to order a cap and gown, you can do it HERE (www.balfoursrc.com). Click on "Make a Payment" > click on "Athens High School" > fill out all of the information including height & weight > pay the $103.55 for the cap and gown plus a convenience fee for using a credit or debit card.
If you would like to order OTHER senior stuff (announcements, gear, etc.) plus your cap and gown, you need to click HERE (www.balfour.com). Search "Athens High School" and follow directions from there.If you have any further questions, you can contact our Balfour representatives at (423) 265-2060.