Richard Kerry Thompson
A Visionary, Charismatic, Servant Leader & Advocate for Our At-Risk & Non-Traditional Students in America
Richard is a visionary and charismatic leader, with demonstrated expertise
in the areas of online learning and seat time waiver for K-12 students,
with a focus on improving achievement outcomes, particularly with at-risk
students, in the Alternative Education / Non-Traditional setting.
Richard Kerry Thompson
Richard Kerry Thompson currently serves as the Dean of Students for the Swartz Creek Academy, an alternative education program in Swartz Creek, Michigan. A charismatic and visionary leader, he has pioneered the use of the Michigan Seat-Time Waiver, online learning platform and technology to help students advance in their education and achieve high school graduation.
Richard utilizes a holistic approach to student development and strives to provide an array of opportunities for students to advance academically, prepare for career success and excel as leaders and community servants. He has consulted with school districts and administrators nationwide and shares his expertise as a member of the Michigan Board and National Alternative Education Association (NAEA). In October 2016, Richard was honored with the Resilience in Action Award from the WhyTry Program (founded by renowned social justice advocate and author Christian Moore).
Giving back is something inherent to Richard. In addition to readily imparting his knowledge and serving his profession, he is committed to helping his surrounding community. A pure Irish tenor, he shares his talent as a member of the Flint Male Chorus and the duet Brother2Brother, with whom he works to regularly honor military veterans and raise both attention and financial support for a variety of community efforts. A proud father of six children, Richard strives to teach both them and the students he leads to think beyond themselves and embrace the words of Nelson Mandela: “What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance in the life we lead.”
Please find below a link to RKT’s digital portfolio - https://www.smore.com/4q9j3
Welcome & Ethos Video Below
- Board Member of National Alternative Education Association (NAEA) 2/2013-present
- NAEA - National Global Conference Committee member - 2016
- NDPC - National Dropout Prevention Center - National Conference Committee member 2016
- MDE - Member of State of Michigan Alternative Accountability Stakeholder Workgroup designing a new accountability system for alternative education programs in Michigan –2015-present
- Chairman, Genesee County intermediate School District Alternative Education Principal Committee - 2015- Present
- Vice President Genesee Area Community Education Association (GACEA) 2010-2011
- Alternative Education National Consultant - NAEA
Professional Employment Record
- Dean of Students, Swartz Creek Academy, Swartz Creek Community Schools | 5/2011-present
- Utilized state educational waiver program to create a K-12 seat time waiver, alternative education, online learning opportunity for students.
- Designed and delivered professional development opportunities for staff.
- Principal, Clio Global Academy, Clio Community Schools | 1/2010- 5/2011
- Utilized state educational waiver program to create a high school alternative education and online learning program.
- Dean of Students, Alternative High School, Clio Community Schools 8/2009-1/2010
- Athletic Director / Maintenance / Transportation Director, Bentley Community Schools | 8/2008-8/2009
- Swartz Creek Community Education - Supervised and monitored more than 50 coaches, maintenance and support staff workers; Managed district wide buildings and facilities - 2005 - 2008
- South Boston Inner City Teen outreach Program - 1988- 2005
- Peace Corp - Dublin / Belfast Ireland 1884 - 1985
- Bachelors of Arts in Education – Almeda University 2005
- Masters in Educational Leader- ship – Almeda University 2007
- MASSP Michigan Association of Secondary School Principals Pathway to Leadership Program – 2016
Focus courses accomplished at
- Boston University, Boston MA
- University of Massachusetts
- Wheelock College, Boston MA
- Bunkerhill Community College
- Trinity College, Dublin Ireland
My Awesome Kids
Below are links to my interests and presentations
You TUBE Channel
Blog on Hatti Book
Ethos of RKT for Alternative Education
Advocate for Amir Hekmati
Quotes to live by
Richard Kerry Thompson
His extraordinary leadership, empowerment and expectations brings out the best in his students. Richard is a pioneer in online learning. He has gained the respect of college professors as well as state legislators and federal and state bureaucrats.
His work ethic and passion to bring online learning to students, individualizing their instruction for success is exemplary. He has made presentations to graduate PhD students, school superintendents, state and national Alternative Educations. School superintendents visit his model program on a regular basis.
He is a consultant for Online Learning. Richard is the father of six children, pursuing his doctorate in Educational Leadership, a church cantor and creative presentation developer. He is a pure Irish Tenor and belongs to The Flint Male Chorus as well as the Brother 2 Brother duet.
Richard Kerry Thompson is grateful to all those serving Alternative Education. “Magnum Opus” the great work that all those who give to our youth in the field of education. “What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead.” Nelson Mandela