The Principal's Message
Crossroads South Middle School
February 12th, 2018
FROM THE PRINCIPAL...
Congratulations to our AMAZING cast and crew of GUYS & DOLLS. Thank you to Mrs. Kristjanson, Mrs. O'Donnell, Mrs. Lepore, and Mr. Fossa for this wonderful production! Also, congratulations to our Cheerleaders, Wrestling Team, Boys Basketball Team, and Girls Basketball Team. We had a strong Winter Season and we could not be more proud of our athletes. GO VIKINGS!!
- NO SCHOOL ON FRIDAY & MONDAY: Please mark your calendars for Friday, February 16th. All schools are closed for Professional Development. And, on Monday, February 19th, schools are also closed in honor of President's Day.
- FRIDAY FOLDER NOTES: Please read our Online Friday Folder for a notice about the flu and our Teacher of the Year Nomination Program.
- NOMINATE AN AMAZING TEACHER or SUPPORT STAFF MEMBER FROm CROSSROADS SOUTH: Click here to access this year's nomination forms. https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdUe7xXCl7HfJTwvEv1tZjhz2vRCA8j4h8bx3nBGFk0f1aGQg/viewform
- UPDATED SCHOOL CALENDAR: Due to the recent weather-related emergency school closings, schools will be in session on May 25 and May 29, 2018. (Please note: In the event of the need for a 3rd make-up day, April 2 is reserved as such.)
- AFTER SCHOOL REMINDERS: Only Middle School students who stay after school for a school-sponsored activity are permitted to ride our late busses. Students cannot be dropped off at the school to then ride the bus home. Also, as a reminder, students are not permitted to walk to Pierre's after school. If you have any questions, please call the school.
- PTO MEETING DATE CHANGE & SPECIAL GUEST: Our February PTO Meeting has been moved to 2/27 at Crossroads North Middle School. We will begin at 6:30pm and will be joined by a special guest, Superintendent of Schools, Mr. Scott Feder!
- ATTENDANCE REMINDERS: Daily attendance in school is a critical factor in the success of your child. Please do your best to minimize the number of days your child is absent from school or is taken out early for appointments. Should your child exceed the number of acceptable days absent as determined by NJ State Law, you will receive a letter from the school.
- IMPORTANT BUS NOTE: Please remember that students are only permitted to ride his/her regular bus home. You cannot go home on another bus. Our busses are full and any additional students has left others without a seat and in a potentially dangerous situation. If your child wishes to go home with another student, you must coordinate either a parent pickup at the school or a parent pickup at your house. **Bus passes can be checked for boarding.** Thank you for your understanding.
- 2/13 - PTO Meeting @ Crossroads North 7pm
- 2/14 - Valentine's Day
- 2/16 - NO SCHOOL - Professional Development
- 2/19 - NO SCHOOL - President's Day
- 2/21 - Staff vs. Student Basketball Game
- 2/27 - PTO Meeting @ Crossroads North 6:30pm
- 2/28 - 8th Grade - NAEP Testing (Social Studies)
MENTAL WELLNESS SUPPORT
As the second trimester is underway and the holidays are approaching, we would like to take this time to remind parents and students of available mental health resources. We encourage anyone to utilize the staff members available to make certain that students have access to the help that they need.
Staff and locations at CROSSROADS SOUTH where you can find help:
- Guidance Counselors - SPS
- Case Managers - SPS
- School Nurses - Mrs. Duvelsdorf & Mrs. Royer - Health Office
- Bridge Center- School Based Mental Health program for crisis, teen programs, and counseling - Ms. David - SPS
- Principal - Ms. Capes
- Assistant Principals & Dean - Ms. Hinson, Mr. Kmiec, & Mr. Dougherty
If you are experiencing an emergency outside of school, call 911 for immediate assistance. Other resources include:
- 2nd Floor Youth Helpline (24 hour calling and texting for students in crisis): 888-222-2228
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-8255 (Logic Song)
- Mobile Response (will come to your home within an hour)- 877-652-7624
- Acute Psychiatric Services (Piscataway, part of University Behavioral Healthcare): 855-515-5700
- For additional resources and link to our mental wellness directory, go to the following site: http://www.sbschools.org/departments/student_services/index_nl.php?SEC=10 Click “crisis intervention phone numbers and resources” on the left hand side
Have a safe and happy holiday season!