April 30th - May 4th
Tuesday, May 1st
- First day to order school supplies from Edukit
Wednesday, May 2nd
- 4th to 5th grade transition Q&A session, Highcrest Auditorium, 7 pm
Monday, May 7th
- Spring assessment window (through 5/25)
Wednesday, May 9th
- PTO Meeting, Cafeteria, 8:45 am
- PTO Luncheon, 11:30 am - 12:30 pm
Thursday, May 10th
- Spring Chorus Concert, 6:30-7:30 pm
Wednesday, May 16th
- 4th graders leave for Outdoor Ed
- D39 Education Foundation, MEC, 7-9 pm
Friday, May 18th
- 4th graders return from Outdoor Ed
- Last day to order school supplies from Edukit
Monday, May 21st
- D39 Board of Education Meeting, MEC, 7-9pm
- Dr. Kick's May Birthday lunch
Thursday, May 24th
- Harper Fun Fair, 3:15-4:15pm
Dr. Kick's Corner
-"Only One You"-Katherine Robinson, received a Gripp Grant and is working with students to paint individualized river rock for a beautiful, flowing rock garden in the back of the school. Each classroom will receive the book (Only One You) that was the inspiration of this project (thank-you PTO!). Our PTO Garden Committee was also instrumental with the planning of this project.
-Transition to 5th Grade Parent Night
Attention all 4th grade parents! Please join us on Wednesday, May 2nd at 7pm in the HMS auditorium for a 4th to 5th grade transition question and answer session. The panel is made up of current HMS parents along with HMS Administration. All are welcome and encouraged to attend.
- Harper PTO Members! Please come to our last General PTO Meeting for the school year on Wednesday, May 9th @ 9am. This meeting is important as we are voting in next year’s slate, next year’s budget AND asking all out going and in coming committee members to meet and exchange information about their jobs. In the old days this was called a “binder swap” but today it’s a good opportunity to handover anything you found useful and exchange information to meet over the summer.Please let me know if you have anything to share at the meeting and I will put you on the agenda. Thank you! Sissy Polacek
- Harper Fun Fair will be Thursday May 24 from 3:15-4:15pm on Harper North Field. There is no rain date. Adult supervision is required. Tickets can be purchased in advance starting Monday May 14. Sponsored by Harper Student Council and ticket donations will benefit local charities. We are looking for parent donations for small prizes to raffle off during Fun Fair. Some ideas include: stuffed animals, lego set, fidget cube, Rubix cube, Pokemon or sports trading cards, board games, or small gift cards for Homer’s or local restaurants. If you would like to donate a prize, please send to Harper, c/o Rachel Mor by Friday, May 11. Contact Rachel Mor (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Kate Cummings (email@example.com) for questions.
- School Kit Ordering starts next Tuesday, May 1st. Don't spend your summer running around trying to find school supplies at the last minute - pre-order your child's kit and the supplies will be waiting for him/her on the first day of school! To place your order on Tuesday May 1st visit www.edukitinc.com and type in Harper to begin your order. Once your order is complete, you will receive a confirmation email and your student’s kit will be waiting for them in their classroom on the first day of school. Ordering runs from May 1st – May 18th. A portion of the sales from each school kit will be donated to the Harper PTO. Watch for a Harper email with ordering information on May 1st. Questions? Contact Sara O'Hare at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Only a few spots left on next years PTO!! We are only looking for the following spots to be filled; Jr. Great Books (1 spot), Yearbook Editors (1-2 spots), Hoedown - 1 co-chair. Take this opportunity to give back to your child and the Harper Community! Don’t miss out! If interested, please email Arielle Heneghan at email@example.com.
- Will your child receive his/her yearbook in June? It's not too late to order...click here.
- Attention former students of Miss Kathy Hofschield (and parents of students). Kathy is retiring at the end of this year. She has been teaching Kindergarten & 1st grade in D39 since 1991. Please consider writing a letter wishing her well with your memories of her and how she has impacted your life. Email letters to firstname.lastname@example.org, or drop off at the Harper School front desk by May 15th.
A campaign was also launched for three creatures on the endangered species list. They were: the sperm whale, green sea turtle and mountain yellow legged frog. Students voted with money they brought to school and chose which creature to give it to. Coins of all kinds have were deposited in our collection cans. In just 3 days, the students contributed over $125! Their concern and generosity should be applauded. It was a close race between the sperm whale and the green sea turtle.
- 5/1--Second grade classes will be seeing a live production of James and the Giant peach on Tuesday 5/1, thank you to iGnite!
- 5/8--Historical Perspective's Ben Franklin visits 3rd Grade
- 5/10--Author Amy Fellner Dominy visits afternoon Kindergarten, 1st Grade and 2nd Grade.
- 5/11--Kindergarten Mother's Day Yoga program
- 5/29--Sky Dome program for 3rd Grade
- 6/6--2nd Grade visits Adler Planetarium
Thanks for your contributions to iGNITE!
Family Action Network (FAN)
- Monday, April 30th- Rachel Simmons "Enough As She Is: How to Help Girls Move Beyond Impossible Standards of Success to Live Healthy, Happy and Fulfilling Lives" Mon, April 30, 7PM Regina Dominican High School Auditorium 701 Locust Rd, Wilmette.
- Thursday, May 10th-Mark Bertin, MD - Author of Mindful Parenting for ADHD, The Family ADHD Solution -talking about "How Children Thrive: The Practical Science of Raising Independent, Resilient, and Happy Kids" @ New Trier High School, Northfield Campus, Cornog Auditorium 7 Happ Rd., Northfield, IL 60091. See information on an additional free presentation for practitioners on May 11th at familyactionnetwork.net.
Link to Community News:
FREE Adult English Language Classes will be offered at Highcrest Middle School for 5 weeks; April 5-May 3rd.
Centennial Classic Pro-Am Charity Tennis Tournament at Wilmette Tennis Club May 5th at 7:00 pm. Register as a player or viewer. All proceeds benefit the Wilmette Park District Scholarship Fund.
Wilmette Historical Museum & Wilmette Police Department host open houses on Sunday, May 6th at 11:00 am - 2:00 pm.
Wilmette Junior Trevians are hosting a week long cheer camp for all 2018-2019 5th-8th grade boys & girls July 16-20.
The Junior Trevians Football Organization is hosting Jr. Trevian K-3 grade Flag Football Tournament on June 2nd & 3rd. Each elementary school enters three teams of 10-12 players: K/1st, 2nd & 3rd grade teams. Also need 1-2 parent volunteers from each school. Email Melissa Mastros at email@example.com
Illinois Baseball Academy is registering boys & girls 3-6 years old. Register individually or as a group and form your own team.
All announcements to be included in the Harper Happenings should be sent to Adriane McKnight via the Communication Request Form by Mondays at 9 am. If you do not receive an email response within 24hrs, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your Communication Request Form was received.
For more school information, visit the Harper PTO website.
For additional D39 community events, visit wilmette39.org