- Easy to install
- Easy to add extra workstations
- Uses less cable than a Star network
- Best choice for temporary networks
- If there is a problem with the central cable, the entire network stops working
- If there are a lot of workstations on the network, data can travel slowly.
- Data collisions can happen as the network becomes busy
- Low security - every workstation can see all of the data in the network
- Limited cable length and a maximum number of workstations
How it works
A single cable joins all of the workstations, printer, file server and other components together. At each end of the bus is a 'terminator'. This is a piece of hardware which prevents signals bouncing back and forth (echoes).