The Friday Flyer
Boone Meadow Elementary - March 22, 2019
Exciting Events at the Meadow!
It was a tremendously busy week at Boone Meadow. A few highlights:
- ZCS Growth Forum was hosted at Boone Meadow on Monday evening. Dr. Robison, Becky Coffman, and Mike Shafer walked through the financial and enrollment status for ZCS. The presentation included information of projected needs of the district in order to meet the needs of students. Nearly 140 adults attended the event in order to learn more about future plans for ZCS and Boone Meadow.
- Busy days - Thursday was one of our busiest days of the year. The school hosted a first grade music informance, all fourth grade Hoosier Heritage projects, as well as, third grade Rube Goldberg projects, and Wellness Night. Families enjoyed the opportunity to engage in their child's learning experiences in creative ways.
- Fundae's and opinion writing - The first grade team hosted Fundae's on Thursday afternoon to help them with an opinion writing unit. Students sampled four distinctly different flavors of ice cream and wrote their "reviews" of the product. The staff was able to enjoy the leftovers. Bonus!
A few upcoming events:
- Boone Meadow Mixer - is tonight, March 22nd. Enjoy an evening with friends at Golf Club of Indiana. Auction items available for bid with dinner and entertainment included. The event begins at 6:30. More information is located below.
- Kindergarten Round Up - March 26th - We are looking forward to meeting our incoming Kindergarten students. Please be sure to tell your neighbors so they can get their rising Kindergartener registered. Please see the registration information below.
- Spring Break - Reminder that this coming Thursday, March 28th, is our last day of school before SPRING BREAK. (We do not have school on Friday, March 29th.) Students will return on Monday, April 8th.
Enjoy your weekend,
Writing Food Reviews the FUNdae's Way!
First grade student gather samples for their comparison study.
One of the best parts...the taste test.
Writing a review about the different ice cream flavors as they apply their learning from their opinion writing unit of study.
Boone Meadow Mixer, is this evening @ Golf Club of Indiana
BOONE MEADOW MIXER & ONLINE AUCTION 2019!
From Boone Meadow PTO:
Thank you for checking out our second annual ONLINE AUCTION! Your support means we can contribute toward the enhancement of our Media Center at Boone Meadow! Check out an example of what we can do to our Media Center at the top right!
Every dollar earned goes straight back into Boone Meadow to directly benefit the students. We look forward to seeing everyone at our Boone Meadow Mixer tonight, but if you are not able to attend, you can still bid on some great items and experiences generously donated by a host of supportive businesses and individuals! We thank you again for your support, and wish you HAPPY BIDDING!
Go to "BIDDING OWL" to set up your account (link below)
MIXER BEGINS AT 6:30PM @ Golf Club of Indiana.
BIDDING WILL TAKE PLACE FROM 8:30 AM-8:30PM on MARCH 22ND!
Music Informances & Art Show
Please click on the following links to view the Informances from 2nd grade:
Video links from 1st grade will be uploaded next week!
Hoosier Heritage Projects
Kindy Round Up is Tuesday, March 26
2019-20 Kindergarten Round Up Dates:
Boone Meadow Elementary - Tuesday, March 26
Pleasant View Elementary - Wednesday, March 27
Eagle Elementary - Wednesday, April 10
Union Elementary - Wednesday, April 10
Stonegate Elementary - Thursday, April 11
If your child is enrolled in ZCS Universal Preschool at the school they will attend Kindergarten, you can expect Round-Up information from your Preschool lead teacher. You do NOT need to sign up for one of the above dates. If your child attends Preschool at Zionsville West Middle School, or a preschool at a different Zionsville school than their boundary school, you will need to register and sign up for a Round-Up time.
Click here to register for Kindy Round Up: https://www.zcs.k12.in.us/apps/news/article/999047
Rube Goldberg Projects
Student Progress Reports (Report Cards)
Elementary report cards for Q3 are available now. To access your child’s report cards, simply login to PowerSchool (using your parent login or your child’s login) and click on the Report Cards link on the left. If you have forgotten how to login to PowerSchool, your child or our building secretary can assist with this.
Clinic News - Still fighting the cold and flu season
Some friendly reminders on the subject of… “Is my child too sick for school?”
1.Students must be fever- free, without meds, for 24hrs.(under 100.0*F)
2. Students must be vomit and diarrhea free, without meds or special diet for 24hrs.
3. Students with red eyes that are “stuck shut” or have a yellow or green discharge must see a Dr. before returning to school.
4. STUDENTS MAY NOT BRING MEDS TO SCHOOL! This includes cough drops. This is for the safety of our students.
**This excludes students that vomit only 1 time in a 24hr period due to congestion. Know that we want students here as much as possible, but not contagious. If you have any questions please call me.
873-2226 ext 14104
Important-Updated Immunization Requirements for 2019-2020
The Indiana State Department of Health school immunization requirements for 2019-2020 have been updated. Click here to view these new requirements as they have recently changed. Students who do not have the Hepatitis A series may need to get the first dose as soon as possible as there is a minimum interval of six calendar months between the first and second doses. Religious and medical objections to the immunization requirements must be updated and signed each school year. Please feel free to send updated immunization records to the health clinic as you receive them. Contact the school nurse or your physician’s office with any questions.
Texts from SchoolMessenger
From time to time Boone Meadow uses SchoolMessenger to send a text to all of the families. If you haven't been receiving texts from us, you may need to opt-in by sending YES to the SchoolMessenger short code of 68453. Contact Beth Kiel in the front office if you have any questions!
Attention all parents/guardians! Have you ever thought about getting paid for the time you spend at our school? Becoming a substitute teacher would do just that for you! Think of it as a paid volunteer position. You still get the opportunity to control your schedule and locations you work but have the added benefit of a little extra pocket money! If you are interested in this opportunity you may apply directly on the ZCS website or simply click here! You may also contact the subcoordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org ) for more information.
Last Day of School is now May 28, 2019
Volunteers and Visitor Background Checks
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECKS FOR VOLUNTEERS
We value partnerships with our families and welcome parents and guardians to serve as volunteers in our schools. Each ZCS building offers a wide variety of volunteer opportunities.
- Field Trip Chaperones
- Out of Town/Overnight Chaperones
- Volunteer Coaches
- Classroom Helpers (PTO parties/room parents)
- Library Helpers
- After Prom Workers
- Field Day/Jog-A-Thon Volunteers
- Book Fair Sales/Athletic Ticket Sales
During the school day, all volunteers are expected to sign in at the front office. Prior to the volunteer opportunity, all volunteers must sign a Non-disclosure Acknowledgement Form and have successfully completed a Full Criminal History Background Check. Necessary background check paperwork is available on the ZCS website at the Volunteers/BRAVO link and should be submitted at least 10 days prior to the intended volunteer date. Volunteers must also view the state mandated confidentiality/bullying video, provided on the Volunteer/BRAVO website. The volunteer will pay the fee* for the full background check which will expire after 5 years. The link to apply for the full background check can be accessed on the Volunteers/BRAVO link on the ZCS main webpage. For more information, contact the Volunteer/BRAVO Coordinator.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECKS FOR VISITORS
During the school day, all visitors must enter via the front door and sign-in at the front office. Visitors need to be prepared to present a government issued photo ID which will be scanned against the National Sex Offender Registry. All visitors will be issued a visitor badge/tag to be worn inside the building at all times.
- Lunch Guests
- Classroom Guest Speakers
- Classroom Special Events (Grandparent Day/Famous Hoosiers/etc.)
- Parent/Teacher Conferences
We ask that all visitors schedule an appointment to meet with teachers, counselors, administrators and all other staff members so that we may best serve everyone. Visitors other than parents/guardians must be prearranged and organized through the main office.
*ZCS thanks all volunteers for generous support of our youth and schools. Thank you, too, for supporting assurance of student and staff safety by completing and paying for a volunteer background check.
Upcoming Events & Important Info
22nd - PTO Boone Meadow Mixer
26th - Kindergarten Round-Up
29th - April 7 - Spring Break
9th - Kindergarten Field Trip to Butler/Clowes Hall
10th - PTO Mtg
11th - 2nd Grade Field Trip to Butler/Clowes Hall
12th - Spirit Day - Twin Day
17th - 3rd grade music performance @ 6:30 PM
23rd - ILEARN testing window opens (3rd/4th gr)
24th - Spirit Day - Who's Your Hero Day; Dine for Dollars @ McAlisters Deli 5-8 PM