CROC TALK BRIEF
Nancy Ryles Elementary Newsletter ~ October 30, 2020
BSD "WE AWARD" GIVEN TO NANCY RYLES & THE NRCO
We were recognized for our Green Team efforts to be an environmentally friendly school.
MAKE YOUR FAVORITE MEAL DAY CHALLENGE
We would like to celebrate by inviting you to participate by sending in a 30 second or less video AND a photo of your family making a favorite meal. We will randomly choose videos and photos to share at our next school assembly on December 9!
If you would like to participate, please send your video and photo by November 18 to Mr. Chung at: firstname.lastname@example.org Thank you for participating!
DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME ENDS NOVEMBER 1
DAYLIGHT SAVINGS ENDS NOVEMBER 1 AND IMPORTANT TIPS FOR TRAVELING SAFELY THIS FALL
On Sunday, November 1, we lose an hour and it will be darker earlier. With shorter days this time of year, all road users should be extra alert to see each other. Here are some suggestions to help everyone stay safe on the road:
- Wear bright reflective clothing when walking or rolling.
- Don’t assume people driving will see you. Make eye contact before crossing in front of vehicles.
- Be alert! Keep eyes and ears open, especially while crossing the street.
- Cyclists should make sure to have lights and wear helmets – it is the law, and it helps people see you and keep you safe.
- Driving or biking? Use extra caution and slow down in the dark and rain. Always be alert for people on foot or bike at intersections, crosswalks (marked and unmarked), bike lanes and in school zones.
- Do not text and drive – it’s against the law, carries steep fines and is unsafe for all road users.
CHILD CARE SUBSIDY
RECORDERS FOR 3rd, 4th and 5th GRADERS
We are excited to announce that we will be starting our recorder unit with 3rd, 4th and 5th grades beginning in January. Recorders help support our melodic literacy unit of study. Students will be able to order a recorder through the school from Peripole for a discounted price of $7.00. Your order will include a soprano recorder, neck strap, cleaning rod, thumb spot, and a case to hold everything in. The ordering window will be open from November 2-12, 2020.
We will be offering two curbside pick up dates for you to come by the school and get your recorder (dates below). If you already have your own recorder, keep it handy!
Please fill out the survey below letting us know if you plan to purchase a recorder, if you already have a recorder, or if you are not able to purchase one at this time.
Below is the link to purchase a recorder.
If you prefer to pay by check or cash, please stop by the school on Tuesdays, Wednesdays or Thursdays from 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. Knock on the window and we will come out. (If you pay by cash, please bring the exact amount; we are unable to give change.)
Nancy Ryles Curbside Pick up dates:
December 10, 2020 -- 3:00-4:00 p.m .
December 11, 2020 -- 11:00-12:00 p.m.
We look forward to making more music with our students!
NRCO NEWS (Nancy Ryles Community Organization)
Wonder Wednesday is here! Check out our new Virtual Classroom here that will feature fun projects kids can work on throughout each month. These are completely optional and designed to be a fun way to supplement some of the volunteer projects we used to do in person (Art, STEM, Culture). Wednesdays might be a day you have a little extra time to explore, so check it out when you have time.
November will be focused on Art Literacy and creating Art with Lines. Once you check out the Virtual Classroom and create some art, please help your kiddo submit a picture - Post Work Here. This link is located within our Virtual Wonder Wednesday Classroom as well. We would love to see what these kiddos create and it will let their friends see their work too!
Mark your calendars! This year's NRCO general meetings will be the second Tuesday of the month at 6:00 p.m. Zoom links will be sent by the school via email before each meeting.
· November 10, 2020
· December 8, 2020
· January 12, 2021
· February 9, 2021
· March 9, 2021
· April 13, 2021
· May 11, 2021
· June 8, 2021
THANK YOU TO THIS WEEK'S VOLUNTEERS:
The NRCO thanks Wayne and Lisa for jumping in this week to share their time and transportation to move thirty cardboard desks from McKay Elementary to Nancy Ryles. These desks can be easily set up to provide families with a dedicated CDL work space. These desks were paid for by the NRCO to support our students. Please let your teacher know if you need one!
Another HUGE thank you to Ahna Proctor, one of our new board members this year. She single handedly produced our Wonder Wednesday Virtual classroom including the lesson and content! She is amazing! We are sure she would love help in the future, if you have ideas! You can sign up to help with future Art, STEM, or Culture content on MyImpactPage.com.
And to everyone else who helped their classroom, on the NRCO board, or our school this week, we appreciate you sharing your time and helping our Nancy Ryles community.
We are seeking creative ways to support classroom teachers during CDL, but we need classroom liaisons in place to make that happen. If you would like to find a way to support your child's teacher, please sign up as a Classroom Liaison on MyImpactPage.com.
Not sure what being a Classroom Liaison takes? Never fear! We will be hosting additional classroom liaison trainings in coming weeks. The time commitment this year is low, as volunteering is minimal.
We are still in need of Classroom Liaisons for the following classes:
Beals, Davenport, Miller, Shaw, West, Burk, Otter, Tompkins, Burnett, Allan, Minnieweather, Scribner, Adair, and Gittings.
CROCS CARING FOR EACH OTHER:
We are all finding that it takes a team to manage Distance Learning! If you are having a difficult time picking up meals or books at the school or bus stop, we have volunteers willing to deliver meals and books to those families who need some help.
If you would like help receiving meal and/or book deliveries, please fill out this form:
If you would like to help with deliveries, please sign up through BetterImpact, under Covid Care.
It’s been great to see some pictures of what our Nancy Ryles families are doing to enjoy fall! It’s not too late to share your moments out in autumn or enjoying some Halloween festivities this week. Send your photos to NRCO1@hotmail.com or comment on our Facebook post at https://www.facebook.com/NRCO1.
LIBRARY TO GO and THE BOOK BUS
Don't miss Library To Go and The Book Bus!
We have updated the Library To Go schedule!
- Tuesdays -- 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- Wednesdays -- 11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
- Thursdays -- 11:00 a.m. -12:00 p.m.
Click here to get all of the information you need for Library To Go and The Books Bus, including how to put books on hold!
If you have questions, please email Ms. Osborne or Mr. Chung.
5th Grade - OPTION SCHOOL APPLICATION PROCESS
Option school applications for the 2021-2022 school year are now being accepted.
- Current BSD students may apply online using their student ID.
- All applicants must reside within the Beaverton School District boundaries.
- Resident students not currently attending a Beaverton school (i.e. homeschool or private school students) will need to complete a paper application available online or at any school office.
- Applicants who don’t have internet access may complete a paper application.
- Students may only select one option on their applications.
- Please give careful consideration to your choice of school. Once an application has been submitted, no changes will be allowed.
- Raleigh Hills and Springville will only be accepting applications for 7th and 8th grades.
Applications must be received no later than December 11 at 4:00 p.m. Important dates, deadlines and answers to frequently asked questions can be found on the Learning Options webpage.
OREGON BATTLE OF THE BOOKS (OBOB)
The NRCO board is working out plans to host the Oregon Battle of the Books for 3rd-5th graders at Nancy Ryles! This will be in the spring and will be less formal than in the past, but now is a great time to start building your OBOB library and thinking up who you want on your team. Here’s a list of the books for this year:
3rd to 5th Grade Division
- Before They Were Authors by Elizabeth Haidle
- Bob by Wendy Mass & Rebecca Stead
- A Boy Called Bat by Elana K. Arnold
- Changeling by William Ritter
- The Dragonet Prophecy by Tui T. Sutherland
- El Deafo by Cece Bell
- Fatty Legs by Christy Jordan-Fenton & Margaret Pokiak-Fenton
- Front Desk by Kelly Yang
- The Night Fairy by Laura Amy Schlitz
- Nine, Ten: A September 11 Story by Nora Raleigh Baskin
- Power Forward by Hena Khan
- Small Spaces by Katherine Arden
- Space Case by Stuart Gibbs
- Unusual Chickens for the Exceptional Poultry Farmer by Kelly Jones
- The Vanderbeekers of 141st Street by Karina Yan Glaser
- A Wolf Called Wander by Rosanne Parry
CELEBRATING STUDENT BIRTHDAYS!
Mckayla T. - 3rd Grade
Curtis Oliver A. - 1st Grade
Zander T. - 4th Grade
Nadine W. - 2nd Grade
Kyle C. - 2nd Grade
Kylie W. - Kindergarten
Annabel H. - 2nd Grade
Leo M. - 1st Grade
Evan G. - 3rd Grade
Jackson N.L. - 1st Grade
Cailyn R. - 1st Grade
FALL PHOTOS SUBMITTED TO THE NRCO
DISTANCE LEARNING RESOURCES FOR FAMILIES
CDL - Comprehensive Distance Learning
Synchronous - students have live contact with their teacher (via Zoom)
Asynchronous - students access pre-recorded lectures and digital curriculum materials and respond through Seesaw and other collaborative documents at a time of their own choosing
SOCIAL MEDIA CONTACTS
Nancy Ryles Twitter is: @NancyRylesElem
Nancy Ryles Facebook: Nancy Ryles Elementary School
Nancy Ryles Instagram: nancyryleselementary
The NRCO Facebook page is: facebook.com/NRCO1
We encourage you to bookmark our website as we keep it up to date.