The THIRD GRADE Times
x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x
This week in Third Grade...December 14, 2015
It's the week before Christmas break, and we wish all of you and your family a very peaceful and blessed Christmas. Friday, December 18, 2015 is a half day with noon dismissal, and our return to school is on Monday, January 4, 2016. Please review the dates to remember below and mark your calendars accordingly. Also, please check our Third Grade Resource page often as we are uploading new information related to third grade projects, activities and events. Recently uploaded is the Native American Indian Project choice board guidelines as well as the MJS library catalog links for the Native American Third Grade Study. Students are encouraged to begin working on their project at home over the break, but please note that student projects are not due until February, 4, 2016.
Again, if you have any questions we can assist you with please do not hesitate to contact your Third Grade Team!
Mrs. Adanto, Mrs. Sears and Mrs. Garcia
A Friendly Carpool Reminder...Please Don't Cut The Line!
At-Home Keyboarding Practice With TYPING CLUB!
As a reminder, Typing Club, is a fully web-based program that allows students to log-in and practice keyboarding in class, at home, on the weekend and virtually anywhere an internet connection can be found. Our lower school technology teacher, Mr. Vasquez, highly encourages 15-20 daily practice minutes at home! The most important thing for your child to focus on while practicing is to avoid looking at the keyboard while typing and proper posture. Please encourage your child to practice, practice, practice!
To log in to your child's Typing Club account, go to the following login URL: https://mayfieldjs.typingclub.com. This link will also be uploaded to the on-line Third Grade Resource page. Note: Your child's personal log-in information was sent home last week.
Please contact Mr. Vasquez directly at email@example.com if you should have any questions and/or concerns about Typing Club. Thank you!
Upcoming MJS Christmas Concert Events
St. Andrews Christmas Concert
Tuesday, December 15, 2015
Call time 5:30 PM, Performance at 6:00 PM
ALL students grades 3-6 + Chamber Choir + Rock Band Singers + Select Student Council Members
We look forward to an evening of beautiful music! Merry Christmas!
Grandparents' and Special Friends' Day February 12, 2016...
A message from Nicole Dixon & Tina Yates!
Please mark your calendars! It may seem early, but Mayfield’s annual Grandparents’ and Special Friends’ day is right around the corner. We look forward to welcoming the ones we love on February 12, 2016. This is a special tradition, a day when Grandparents or Special Family Friends join students on campus for Mass and classroom activities. To insure we get an invitation to your child's special guest, please fill out the form here if this is your first year at MJS (or there are changes to the addresses from last year's invitation mailing): https://docs.google.com/forms/d/12VIQdERng0cKT1-D7Szb_StAXMSSNGZDWVkdrehN_I4/viewform
Nicole Dixon & Tina Yates
Deepening Our Learning...
* Science - Our Universe: The Planets...Students learn about the planets in our universe. Recycle Reach Out Project...Students collect and analyze data.
* Social Studies - Native American Study Unit: Native American Study Unit continues! Students will learn and conduct research about Native American people who lived in different regions throughout the United States. Please be sure to check the resource page for important research links!
* Math - Topic Four: Students build meaning and understanding through the introduction of multiplication concepts such as multiplication as repeated addition, arrays and multiplication, and the commutative property of multiplication.
* Writing - Six Traits of Writing - Students continue apply writing conventions for sentence types, word choice and voice in classroom writing assignments.
December Student Biblionasium Goal: Read Three Books!
Important December and January Dates To Remember...
- December 15, 2015 - Christmas Concert, St. Andrew's Church, Pasadena, 6:00 PM.
- December 17, 2015 - Third Grade Christmas Brunch, 8:30 AM, Classroom Event With Teachers.
- December 18, 2015 - Christmas Prayer Service, 9:10 AM, Greg Smith Memorial Gymnasium, Christmas accessories, regular uniform day.
- December 18, 2015 - Half Day, Dismissal at Noon.
- December 21, 2015 - January 3, 2016 - Christmas Break - No School
- January 04, 2016 - Classes Resume
- January 04, 2016 - Mosaic Month begins - Morning Prayer
- January 27, 2015 - Third Grade Native American Play, 1:00 PM, Hayden Family Performing Arts Center