February 8, 2021
Letter From the Principal
We are looking forward to our 2nd grade students returning to in-person tomorrow! We sure have missed them all! Thank you to all our staff and families for their quick responses and support when we found out we needed to quarantine a group of students. Remember to keep your students home sick if they are exhibiting any signs or symptoms that could be related to COVID-19. This will continue to help mitigate the spread and help us to remain in person more consistently.
Many staff members have begun scheduling their vaccination shots. I am hoping that this is one step closer to bringing back normalcy. It is highly disruptive to have to switch back and forth not only for academic progress, but for the social and emotional well-being of our students. If you notice that the pandemic is affecting your student more than usual or if you notice their behavior is out of the ordinary, please reach out to me, our social worker, or your child’s teacher. We will do whatever it takes to support your kiddos through these turbulent times. Thank you for all of your support! We couldn’t do this without you!
Best Elementary School of Colorado Springs
- I am proud to announce that Martinez Elementary is in the top 10 for “Best Elementary School in Colorado Springs”
- Please consider voting for Martinez
- Voting ends 2/14
- Share with everyone you know!
5 Essentials Survey
- Survey is live.
- Click here to take the survey: http://survey.5-essentials.org/sd11/survey/parent/
- We analyze the data in order to strengthen our improvement plans. We value your feedback in this process.
- The survey takes about 10-15 minutes to complete.
- Last day to take the survey is February 19, 2021
Valentine’s Day Celebrations
- Sock Drive
o Our Student Lighthouse Team is collecting clean, new socks to donate to Partners in Housing.
o We are collecting socks from 2/9-2/17
- Valentine’s Box Gallery
o Students have the option to participate in a box decorating event
o Students decorate a box and they will all be displayed in the hallway
o Special recognition will be provided for special categories (Outstanding Message of Love, Creative Idea, Excellent Craftsmanship)
- Classroom Treats
o Classes will have a celebration in their classrooms (classes will not mix).
o Students are able to bring valentine’s/treats for their classmates.
§ All treats must be individually wrapped, store bought, and mindful of allergies
o Teachers will provide any additional details.
- Sock Hop
o We will be dressing up in our 50’s attire on Friday, February 12th.
o At the end of the day, we will play music over the intercom and have a celebration in the classroom.
Handicap Parking Spaces
- If you park in a handicap parking spot, please be sure to display your handicap hanger.
o If you do not have the proper display, you will be asked to move.
o If you forget your pass, please use an alternate parking spot for the day.
- Facilities is coming on Wednesday to assess if we can add a few more spaces in Lot A.
PTA BINGO and Papa John’s Night
- February 25th
- Thursday, Feb 25, 2021 5:50 pm | 1 hour 20 minutes | (UTC-07:00) Mountain Time (US & Canada)
- Meeting number: 120 913 5843
- Password: 8SmabXbi9V2
- Join by video system
- Dial email@example.com
- You can also dial 184.108.40.206 and enter your meeting number.
- Join by phone
- +1-415-655-0001 US Toll
- Access code: 120 913 5843
- Our Choice Enrollment window is still open until February 13, 2021.
- If you have a 5th grade student that choices to Martinez, you need to fill out a choice permit for your D11 Middle School of choice.
o We feed into Jenkins Middle School.
- We also need your help to grow our school!
o Word of mouth
o Vote for the Gazette’s Springs Best!
o Encourage people you know/meet to enroll at Martinez
- Communication protocols for snow days remains the same as it has been in the past.
o The district will make every effort to notify families no later than 5:30am the day of.
- The notification will specify if:
o There is a 2 hour delay (school begins at 10am instead of 8am)
o There is a full snow day (no school for anyone)
o There is an e-learning day (everyone participates in synchronous, remote learning online)
- Be prepared for any of these scenarios when inclement weather is forecasted.
- We will do our best to look ahead and prepare students to take home devices if needed.
19-20 Yearbooks Are Coming!
- We have been notified that last year’s yearbook has finally shipped after so many printing delays and issues.
- As soon as we receive them, we will prep them to be distributed.
- We will send home a Loop message to let you know that they have been sent home with your child.
- If you know someone no longer at Martinez that purchased a yearbook last year, please encourage them to contact the front office so that we have updated contact information for distribution.
February 9-17: Sock Drive Donations
February 12: 50’s Day/Sock Hop/Valentine’s Celebrations
February 15: President’s Day, No School
February 22: Asynchronous Day
February 25: PTA BINGO and Papa John’s Night 6-7:00pm
March 1: Asynchronous Day
March 2: SAC/PTA 5:15pm and 6:00pm via WebEx
March 8: Teacher Work Day – No School for Students
March 9: Data Collaboration Day – No School for Students
March 22-25: Spring Break – School Closed