Grapevine Historical Buildings
Day Tripper Example
This historic cabin was built by Francis Throop in the Lonesome Dove area in 1845. The cabin has two connecting rooms side by side each with an outer door to the porch. John R. Torian bought the property in 1886 and his family lived in the cabin until the 1940’s. In 1976 it was donated to the city and moved to Liberty Park on Main Street.
The Grapevine Depot
The Depot was built in 1888 on South Main Street for the Cotton Belt Railroad. The depot and the home for the Section Foreman were constructed by the railroad company. It was built in the Craftsman Style of architecture. The Miller family was the last Section Foreman to occupy the house. It 1957 the building was sold and moved to Hall-Johnson Road. In 1992 the Grapevine Heritage Foundation moved the Depot back to its original home.
In 1940 the Palace opened its doors as a movie theater. In 1975 the Palace became the home of the Grapevine Opry. The building was built in the Art Deco design. The Grapevine Heritage Foundation bought the building in 1991. The building now serves as a community performing arts center.
The Wallis Hotel was built in 1891 on the corner of Main and Hudgins to serve travelers and salesman coming to Grapevine on the train. The hotel was demolished in the 1930’s. In 1991 the Grapevine Convention & Visitors Bureau broke ground on a new building that was built to look like the original hotel. The Wallis Hotel today is not in the same location as the original hotel.
Built in 1914, the building first served as a dry goods store. In 1919, it was transformed into the first automotive garage in Grapevine.
The name Willhoite's came from the name that Andrew Willhoite and Bart H. Starr used for their garage business, the first one-stop service station in the city with auto repair, battery re-building, tire sales and service, auto parts and accessories, and wrecker service.
In 1936, Ted Willhoite joined his father in the business and at that time, the first electric gasoline pump and hydraulic auto lift were installed. Ted Willhoite closed the garage and retired in 1975. Phil Parker, a Grapevine native, purchased the building in 1981 and renovated it into Willhoite's Restaurant, restoring it as authentically possible and keeping many aspects of the automotive shop.
The city hall was built in 1997. This building is new and meets modern technological needs but was designed to reflect the architectural traditions of Grapevine in the late 19th century. The stone pediment, columns and façade on Main Street are replication of the old Farmers National Bank. The building is used by the Mayor and City Council.