Native American traditions-
Native American oral traditions
What is the function of myth?
- to explain humanity
- natural phenomena
- to teach moral lessons to younger ones
- to record their past
- to give a verbal culture lesson
- to give description of landmarks
- use personification of animals
- to be a role model
What are the types of myths?
- how do beings exist in the world?(Creation myth)
- how stars moon and mountains became important to tradition(origin myth)
- a few stories contain both creation and origin myths
What is oral tradition?
- began about 40,000 years ago
- each culture had their own mythology
- each had its own literature
- stories passed down form generation in huts and ceremonies
- stories and history told of its close relation with the natural world
- created by all people
What is a Archetype?
- symbol of stories patterns or character types that is found from literature
- Hero wise man and tricksters are examples of characters.
- Good and Evil life and death and knowledge are examples of symbolism