2019 Summer Reading
Why Summer Reading?
Pleasure reading, reading that transports your imagination for 20 minutes or more either through story or your desire to learn information, is the best activity for keeping your brain in shape. Studies show that students who read the equivalent of 4 books keep their brain in shape for the fall. Students who do nothing with their brains over the summer may suffer from what's called "The Summer Slide" losing anywhere from 1-6 months of academic growth.
Don't Go MUSHY - Just Read 4! So grab your books, magazines, tablets and READ!
Sign-Up for the York County Public Library Summer Reading Program
Great Lists, Programs and Promotions!
- Participate in York County's Public Library "A Universe of Stories" Summer Learning Challenge - get information HERE! Registration opens May 6th.
- Don't have a public library card? Click HERE to fill out the form online or HERE for a print version to download and bring to your nearest branch.
- Participate in Scholastic's Summer Reading Challenge - sign up HERE! beginning Monday, May 6th.
- Click HERE to earn free books from Barnes and Noble's Summer Reading Program for ages 6-12.
- Click HERE to Books-a-Million's summer reading program.
- Click HERE for TWO free audiobooks per week for Summer Reading (ages 13 & up) from SYNC beginning April 25th.
- Pick a genre different than what you typically read to explore. Click HERE for a complete list.
- Click HERE for OMS GREAT READS lists with descriptions or go straight to the lists individually liked below:
- SC Book Awards
- SLJ Best Books
- Newbery Medal
- Children's Notable Book List
- Nancy Keane's Online BookTalks
- ALA's Best Books for Young Adults
- Outstanding Books for the College Bound
- YALSA's Teen Top Ten
#OAKRIDGE READS SUMMER BOOK FAIR
All proceeds go towards bringing authors to OMS. Last year's Summer Book Fair raised $1200 to help pay for author Alan Gratz's visit last September.
CSD SUMMER READING SERVICES
OMS eBooks & Digital Audiobooks - Read & Listen 24/7
- Download the app or go to gofollett.com
- Select SOUTH CAROLINA
- Type in OAKRIDGE and select OAKRIDGE MIDDLE SCHOOL from the drop down menu.
- Log in using your school UN and 5 digit PW (same UN & PW for Canvas)
A kick-off to Summer Reading - Scholastic's BOGO Book Fair
Rising 6th grade will pick out their books on Friday, May 10th. Rising 7th and 8th will pick out their free books when their classes shop. See the schedule below.
Need more than one book for the summer? At the Kick-Off to Summer Reading/BOGO Book Fair you can purchase contemporary fiction and non-fiction titles at half-price. It's a GREAT time to stock up for Summer Reading. For SBF digital Flyer CLICK HERE