The Lion's Den January 27, 2023
MES Family Newsletter
Student Drop-Off Reminders
YEARBOOK ORDERS- the deadline to order is February 28th!
Save the date! Forms will be coming home soon!
PreK Screenings and Kindergarten Registration!
Children who will be four (4) years old on or before September 30, 2023
The following forms are required:
- Birth Certificate
- Proof of Residency
- Proof of Income for everyone working in the household
We will hold our first day of PreK screenings on Tuesday, March 7th, by appointment! If you would like to schedule an appointment for March 7th, please call the school at 540-289-3004, and make sure you have provided the school with each of the documents listed above prior to the day of the screening. If all appointments are filled on March 7th, we will schedule additional screening appointments at a later date. All of the above documents as well as the PreK screening are necessary to determine if a child qualifies for the program.
Children who will be five (5) years old on or before September 30, 2023
The following forms/documents are required:
- Birth Certificate
- Proof of Residency
Note: A copy of a current physical examination form (within 12 months prior to the first day of school) and a complete immunization record must be provided before a child begins school.
All families are encouraged to complete online registration using the link that will be provided on our website www.rcps.net starting March 6th (Be sure to select 2023-24 school year). If you are unable to access the online registration, you may come to MES on Monday, March 6th from 9:00-2:00 or Tuesday, March 7th from 9:00-5:00 and we will be happy to assist you!
Please contact the school office if you have any questions!
VDH Immunization/Physical Examination Schedule
Superintendent Search Survey
The School Board of Rockingham County Public Schools invites parents, staff, students and community members to complete a survey to assist with our current Superintendent Search. The survey, being conducted by the School Board's search firm, BWP and Associates, will remain open from January 30 to February 12, 2023. To participate, please click here.
School Board Announces Dates for Community Forums for Superintendent Search
The Rockingham County School Board invites all community members to participate in a meeting with the consultants from BWP & Associates to help identify characteristics sought in the new superintendent. The community is invited to attend one of the four following public open forums scheduled on:
Tuesday, February 7, 2023
East Rockingham High School – Library 6:30 - 7:30 PM
Spotswood High School - Library 6:30 - 7:30 PM
Thursday, February 9, 2023
Broadway High School - Lecture Room 6:30 - 7:30 PM
Turner Ashby High School – Library 6:30 - 7:30 PM
Help us stock the fridge for our amazing staff! Please click below to sign up!
Library Info from Ms. Breeden!
Hometown Heroes are Readers Too!!
We are looking for any law enforcement officers, firefighters, EMTs and/or military personnel (Veterans are welcome too!) who would be willing to come in and read to our students on Friday, March 3 from 9-11:30am. A snow date will be scheduled for Friday, March 31 from 9-11:30am. We do ask that uniforms be worn if possible! We will provide you with the books to read and lunch will also be provided to all of our readers!
WE STILL NEED 7-8 MORE READERS!
It’s also Adopt-A-Book time!! Thanks to all who have signed up to donate a book! Please be sure all money is sent in by Friday, Feb. 3.
There are so many things happening in the library! Here is a list of some of the things going on in the library: school-wide crayon peeling/economics unit, learning about penguins and Groundhog’s Day, working on publishing books, learning about figurative language and the importance of finding media balance and staying safe online.
Please be sure to check out our MES Library Website! and Destiny Discover Tutorial video.
As always, if you have any questions please feel free to reach out to me!
Congratulations Ms. Hope Warner!!
Information From School Nurses
How Sick is Stay-Home-From School Sick?
- Students need to stay home for 24 hours when their temperature is 100 degrees or higher. Do not send your student to school following morning administration of Tylenol or Motrin. In order to return to school, students need to be fever free for 24 hours without fever reducing medication.
- Students that are vomiting or have diarrhea (3 or more loose stools) the night before school, they should stay home for 24 hours from the last episode of vomiting or diarrhea.
- Students with persistent yellow/green nasal drainage and have no known allergies or medical history of drainage need to stay home.
- Students with a heavy, persistent cough with sputum present need to stay home until symptoms resolve.
- Students with skin eruptions or undiagnosed skin rashes need to stay home.
- Students that have redness of the eye lining or an irritation of the eyes accompanied by swelling and drainage need to stay home. Students diagnosed with pink eye must stay home until 24 hours of antibiotics have been administered.
- Students prescribed antibiotics must stay home for 24 hours after the first dose is given.
- Students need to stay home if they display any coronavirus symptoms like; fever, cough, shortness of breath, sore throat, fatigue, headache, runny/stuffy nose, chills, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, body/muscle aches, loss of taste or smell.
MES January Calendar
MES February Calendar
Important School Information & Upcoming Dates!
February 1- Global Day of Play
February 2- Groundhog Day and TUTU (2/2) Day! Dress in your favorite tutu or groundhog day attire!
February 8- PTO Meeting on Zoom- 6:00pm
February 9- Super Bowl Spirit Day! Wear your favorite sports jersey!
February 10- Division Inservices- No School for Students
February 13-17- Kindness Week!
Feb. 13- Workout your problems with kindness- wear workout gear!
Feb. 14- Valentine's Day! Wear red, pink, white, and hearts!
Feb. 15- Crazy about kindness- Crazy Hair day
Feb. 16- Spread kindness like confetti! Dress colorful
Feb. 17- MES PTO GLOW RUN!! Wear neon or white for GLOW DAY!
Feb. 23- JMU Math Night at MES! 6pm
February 27-March 3- Read Across America Week!
The 2022-2023 RCPS calendar can be found here!
MES PAW Patrollers!
11:00-1:00: Volunteer in the cafeteria for all lunch shifts (PAW Patrollers are encouraged to have lunch with their child/children during their lunchtimes!)
1:00-2:30: Follow your child's schedule as a classroom volunteer. This may include attending specials/recess with your child!
If you want to learn more about signing up as a PAW Patroller, please contact Ms. Mitchell, our school counselor.
1. Student Name
2. Teacher Name
3. Reason for Absence
4. The name of the person submitting the email
You can also use this email address to send Dr. notes!
Transportation Changes- Important!
McGaheysville Elementary School
Leslie Kapuchuck, Ed.D.Principal and Lead Learner