Academy of Environmental Sciences
Where Wonders Grow!
DFES Belief Statements
- We believe that all people deserve to feel safe, valued, and loved.
- We believe all children are curious about the world around them.
- We believe learning is a social process.
- We believe inquiry fosters a culture of wondering and questioning.
- We believe learning should be viewed from multiple perspectives.
- We believe in learning from authentic primary sources.
- We believe in encouraging learners to take risks.
- We believe reflection should lead to change and growth.
- We believe reflection should lead to social action.
- We believe our actions should be aligned with our beliefs.
DFES Academic Goals 2014 - 2015
- increase student math achievement
- sustain and build upon student writing achievement
Strategies for accomplishing goals:
- inquiring into writing engaging curriculum for and with students through environmental education
- inquiring into instructional strategies
1st Grade Saluda Shoals Touchstone
Monday, Jan. 26th, 9am-1:45pm
5605 Bush River Road
Writing Professional Development
Monday, Jan. 26th, 8am-10pm
So our writing pd is done as an effort to support our academic goal of growing students as writers which requires us to be more sophisticated with our writing instruction.
We will meet with the following grade levels on Monday:
- 8:15 - 9:30 Second Grade
- 10:00 - 11:15 Third Grade
- 1:00 -2:15 Fifth Grade
We will meet with the remaining grade levels Tuesday:
- 9:00 - 10:15 Fourth Grade
- 11:00 - 12:15 Kindergarten
- 12:45 - 2:00 First Grade
In an effort to save time we will have substitutes drop off your respective classes to related areas.
Magnet School Compliance Monitoring Visit
As has been shared with you all D5 schools included in the MSAP grant will be visited during this week. We are looking forward to showcasing how our theme is integrating into what we do here at DFES.
Should you have a visit please continue with teaching and learning without feeling the need to interrupt or stop your lesson. I am proud and pleased with our theme integration to date and you all should be as well.
Cub Reporter will go home Thursday, January 29.
- 1/27 K. Pack
DFES Lawn Sign Contest
Monday, Jan. 26th, 8am to Friday, Feb. 6th, 11pm
Our district magnet school application process begins today and ends in two weeks. We will have our DFES lawn sign contest again this year. We are looking for the most creative place for you to take a picture with our lawn sign but a location that also generates great exposure for the sign to be viewed.
Your photos can be submitted to me over the next two weeks. Last year we had the instructional team to serve as the judges. This year we would like for you all to vote for the winner. The winning submission will have the choice of having a substitute(to be used for planning purposes) or day off without taking personal leave. The winner will have to redeem their by prize by the conclusion of this school year.
Lawn signs can be picked up from E. Perkins.