September 12, 2016
I hope you enjoyed a great weekend.
We are absolutely motoring along. I cannot believe that we are already into September. Before you know it, Fall break will be here.
As we progress through the quarter, please continue with your interventions and continue to communicate with parents.
I appreciate all that you do for our students!
FIVE QUICK FACTS
ROB STEGEMAN--BAND DIRECTOR
1) I am from Collinsville IL
2) I have one daughter. Emma, age two!
3) I have been playing the Saxophone for 19 years. Professionally for 16 years. I played with the Stan Fornaszewski Big Band in Granite City IL in the 8th grade!
4) I lived off and on in Tokyo Japan as a child.
5) I am literally living my dream of being a band director. My dream started in the 7th grade.
Next up: Aaron Manfull
PARENT TEACHER CONFERENCES
It is hard to believe that 1st quarter progress reports are coming soon and Parent/Teacher Conferences are fast approaching. Next week, September 14, we will have our first Fall Conference from 4:00 to 7:30 p.m., and we will all be in the large gym. This is a time for you to meet parents and share valuable information regarding their children’s work in your classes.
This e-mail is quite lengthy but I needed to share some important information regarding conferences. Below is a list of topics which I will further explain.
1. Times for Conferences and Food
2. Attendance Procedures for Staff
3. Increasing Parent Attendance
4. Sign-in Information and Attendance for Parents
5. Teacher Packet
1. TIMES FOR CONFERENCES AND FOOD:
· The PTO will be providing food for all staff which will start at 2:30 and cleanup will begin at 3:30. For those teachers/coaches that are supervising students and need to have their food delivered to them, please contact Beth Shannon at email@example.com.
· Teachers need to be at their stations by 3:45 p.m.
· Conferences will be held from 4:00-7:30 p.m.
2. ATTENDANCE PROCEDURES FOR STAFF:
We look forward to everyone being at Parent/Teacher Conferences, but if you are unable to attend you will need to notify your supervising principal in writing or by email. It will be necessary for you to make arrangements to place a sign-in sheet at your conference area informing parents of the time(s) you will not be available and requesting parents to leave information regarding how you can contact them. Parents have informed us that notifying your students ahead of time of what night you cannot be present is helpful.
3. INCREASING PARENT ATTENDANCE:
This year in an effort to increase our attendance we would like each teacher to extend an e-mail invitation to at least 5 of your students reminding parents of Parent/Teacher Conferences. An example of this type of e-mail is listed below. Please feel free to use this e-mail or develop your own.
Hello, my name is Steve Moorman, and I am Cara McHaffie’s Communication Arts Teacher. Next week on Wednesday, September 14th, we will be holding our first Fall Parent/Teacher Conference in the large gym from 4:00-7:30 p.m. This is a great opportunity to meet your student’s teachers and learn valuable information about their education. I look forward to meeting you next week!
4. SIGN-IN INFORMATION AND ATTENDANCE FOR PARENTS:
We will be using the sheets from prior years for parents to sign in at your station. This information will be placed in your mailbox by Friday , September 9th. There will be extra sheets available if needed.
Yellow Form: Please have parents sign-in on Wednesday evening with this form.
Pink Form: This sheet will need to be filled out and returned to Cara McHaffie or Mr. Moorman to assess how many parents we had in attendance on both nights. The yellow and blue parent sign-in sheets are yours to keep. Please fill out and return the pink parent count sheet to Cara McHaffie in the main office. Instructions will be listed on the pink form.
5. TEACHER PACKET:
Your Parent/Teacher Conference Teacher Packet will be placed in your mailbox by September 9th. If you have any questions please feel free to e-mail me or stop by the main office.
The following items will be Included in your packet:
· Gym set up – location of all teacher stations
· Yellow Form – Teachers keep
· Pink Form – Please return to Cara McHaffie in the main office
At the PD Committee meeting last week we reviewed the data from surveys about the building PD. We then planned for the upcoming faculty meeting. If you have questions or input on how to improve our building PD, please see Katie Greer.
STAT Team will be meeting on September 19th. Please let Katie Greer know if you have any questions.
A big thank you to all of the Attendance Allies who have taken on mentees who are struggling with attendance. We currently have 16 students matched up with a caring adult.
There is an Attendance Committee meeting in the Learning Commons at 2:30 on Thurs 9/15.
Knights @ 90: FHN currently has 89.89% of students attending 90% of the time.
For more info on how to talk to students and parents about eh importance of attendance in your class, check out: http://www.attendanceworks.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/AWTeacherToolkitFINAL10.5.151.pdf
Staff Chats will take place on September 13 and will be in the Learning Commons during lunches and after school. We hope to see you there.
September 16th will be Staff Night at the Football game. Pre-game begins at 6:30 and the game begins at 7. Bring your friends and family to fill up the reserved staff section as the Knights take on the Vikings.
Behavior Leadership Team will be meeting on 9/20 at 6:45am in the Main Office Conference Room.
Forwarding Gmail to Outlook for Google Drive File Sharing
If someone shares a google doc, sheet, or slide file with you directly via your FHSD Gmail account, you will not be alerted without logging into your FHSD Gmail. You can forward your FHSD Gmail to your Outlook email to be able to receive those notifications in Outlook. For detailed instructions, click here.
Tech committee met this week and we will be looking for feedback after 21st Century Fest regarding upcoming topics for Lunch and Learns.
And lastly, below are the dates for the “workshops” Mr. Riffee will be hosting in the learning commons at 2:30 – approx. 4:30:
· August 30th
· September 20th
· October 24th
· November 16th
· No Date in December
· 2nd semester TBD
2016-2017 Staff Commitments to the Learning Environment
In order to improve the climate/environment at FHN, the staff commits to:
1. building positive relationships with students and staff members.
2. listening to the concerns of others and by helping to problem solve those issues.
3. helping students to see the relationship between effort and success.
4. being open-minded to new ideas.
5. addressing any inappropriate behavior immediately to help set an expectation of appropriate hallway and classroom behavior.
6. giving clear and consistent expectations for device use and by enforcing them.
7. counting tardies consistently.
Friday, Sep. 16th, 8am-12pm
5199 State Highway N
Saint Charles, MO
"I would like to give a shout out to Rae Ann Noah for making a sub folder for me and taking care of my lesson plans when I was absent!! You are greatly appreciated!!"
"Shout Out to the SpEd Department – They worked extra hard to make sure their students had the supports they needed to be successful for the Practice ACT. In addition, some SpEd teachers volunteered their plan time to cover for any students who needed other tests read during that time. Thank you! "