WINTER PARK BAND Weekly Newsletter
October 4, 2020
Woodwind and Color Guard Sectional Rehearsal
Tuesday, Oct. 6th, 3-5pm
2100 Summerfield Road
Winter Park, FL
Brass and Marching Percussion Sectional Rehearsal
Thursday, Oct. 8th, 3-5pm
2100 Summerfield Road
Winter Park, FL
End of First Marking Period
Friday, Oct. 9th, 12am
2100 Summerfield Road
Winter Park, FL
From Mr. Clemente
Dear Winter Park Band families,
Great job to all our students in the Orange Pep Band for their performance at this past Friday evening's home football game. Now everyone participating in Outdoor Band events this year has had a chance to perform for an audience. Definitely exciting, considering all the challenges we are interacting with just to play our instruments on a day-to-day basis!
Thank you again to all of our parent volunteers from Friday! Whether it was setting up the chairs for the pep band, passing out t-shirts, monitoring the students, or keeping watch at the gate to the parking lot, we could not have had a successful evening without you! Parents looking to chaperone - we would love to have you! Please see below in the Newsletter for details on how to become an approved parent chaperone for OCPS events.
WPHS has decided to designate the next home football game on October 16 as this year's Senior Night. To accommodate having all our the students of the senior class in Band perform at that game, we will need to re-formulate the ensemble. All senior students will be performing at that game, and the remaining spots in the Band will be assigned from juniors, sophomores and freshmen to ensure that the ensemble is balanced. Please look for that roster to come out later this week. The home game later in October on October 29 will have the Black Pep Band performing and the final regular season game will have the Orange Pep Band performing.
As Friday, October 9 marks the end of our first marking period of the school year (wow - already? I feel the same.), Please be checking in on Canvas and Skyward for any potential missing assignments. Missing assignments will show with a "MISSING" note attached to the grade, and grade that your student was not involved with will have a "NO COUNT" note attached to the grade. "NO COUNT" means that whatever grade number was entered, the assignment does not factor into the student's final grade for the marking period. Remember, it is the grading policy of the Band program that any work assigned should be completed by the assigned due date. However, late work is accepted up until the final day of the marking period for a maximum of 80% possible credit of the original grade.
Let's have a great last week of the quarter!
From the Band Booster President
What a great showing by the Orange Band!!
Thank you to all of the volunteers for the game this week. We appreciate your help.
Don’t forget, the extended deadline for ad sales/sponsorships are this week. Please check the website for information and let us know if you have questions.
Have a wonderful week!!
EXTENDED - PROGRAM ADS AND SPONSORS FUNDRAISER
The deadline for the Program Ads and Sponsors Fundraiser has been extended to this coming Friday, October 9. The deadline will not be extended again, so please turn in your ad sales and sponsorship money in a timely manner.
SENIOR PARENTS: Try to gather photos asap if you would like to put something in the program this year for their senior.
The Band’s Concert Program is distributed, free of charge, at all concerts during the school year. In addition to pictures of the Band and information about its members, the Program also contains advertisements from local businesses and Band families. ***New this school year, there will be a digital edition of the program available to distribute.*** The sale of these ads is a great way for your student to raise money that will defray your financial obligations to the Band. The student’s Band account will be credited with 60% of the ad revenue that he/she sells, depending on the Band’s printing cost. Ana Nazarian is the parent volunteer in charge of the Concert Program. Her contact info is listed below.
Options for Ads/Sponsorship Sales:
- Local Business Ads: These are black and white ads of varying sizes (business card, ¼ page, ½ page or full page). A company should submit an electronic copy of its ad in a high-resolution format of at least 300 dpi or better. Acceptable files include: PDF, JPG, PNG, EPS and PSD. Email the file to email@example.com. We request the digital format of the ad be the actual size of the ad that you are purchasing. Two business cards are required for business card ads.
- Student Dedications: Parents and other family members of any grade level student may purchase ad space (¼, ½, or full) as a dedication to their student or student’s section. The same formatting and resolution requirements listed above apply to Student Dedication Ads. A great way to honor your student, any grade level but especially Seniors, and 60% goes back to you as fundraising credit!
- Sponsorships from local businesses or families: Sponsors are financial donors listed together on a single page in the program, according to the contribution level. If you know someone who would like to donate to the Band but does not own a business, this is a great way for them to show their support.
It’s Super Easy!!!
Steps for Selling a Band Program Ad:
- Upon initial contact with a business, provide the cover letter and order form. It is helpful to show potential advertisers a copy of last year’s Program. Copies are available in the band room.
- Once a company has agreed to purchase an ad or sponsorship, fill out the order form and obtain a signature from the company representative. The order form may also be used for Student Dedication Ads and Sponsorships.
- In one envelope labeled “Program Ad/Sponsor Sales,” please submit the order form, a check payable to “WPHS Band,” and a hard copy of the ad. The digital version of the ad should be emailed to Ana Nazarian, firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the student’s name and advertiser’s name in the subject line (i.e. re: John Smith, Acme Supplies, Inc.).
- Please submit all forms, ads, and payments by Wednesday, September 30, 2020.
- Forms are available on the Band’s website (winterparkhsband.com/band-boosters.html) for additional copies.
Questions? Contact Ana Nazarian at email@example.com or call 407-325-6167.
PARENT VOLUNTEERS - WE NEED YOUR HELP!
A huge THANK YOU to all our Band parents who have volunteered to chaperone at our first two football games of the school year. I encourage everyone to take a moment and become an approved chaperone so you can help us at future events!
Now that we know that we have upcoming needs for parent chaperones, it's time to either renew as an ADDitions volunteer or apply if you've never done so. It is easy to apply and get approved, and it is a requirement to sign up to volunteer at school. Be prepared to upload a photo and please be sure to read the Covid-19 Acknowledgment.
Follow this link at ocps.net:
- winterparkhsband.com > Click on the ADDitions icon in the center of the home page, just below the SchoolPay.com icon.
- *Click "Volunteer Now"
- Click on the "Additions Volunteers" round button
- Click "Volunteers" as the Opportunity Type
- Select the school of your choice. (Winter Park High)
- Select opportunity #1 called: "Become an ADDitions School Volunteer" (MUST BE THE FIRST OPPORTUNITY SELECTED) and then click "view details". Click "Sign up" Then either sign in if you already have an account or create a new Volunteer Profile account.
- Renewal Applicants can check their Dashboard for eligibility status. Everyone will need to answer or update your safety questions. Just follow the prompts. Then click "Previously Registered Volunteer Next Steps" if you want to search for volunteer opportunities outside of band. *Application is processed and subject to a background check
- If you're a new applicant, click "New Volunteer Next Steps" if you want to look for volunteer opportunities outside of band.
- If you only want to volunteer for band, there is no need to click the "Search for opportunities" link.
- If we become ready for volunteers, you can sign up for band opportunities on charmsoffice.com under "Parents/Students/Members", then enter the school code: WinterparkHSBand, enter your password, click "volunteer", then select an event and opportunity. At this time it is not necessary to sign up for anything. However, if you have a moment, it's helpful to walk through the steps of signing up so you are familiar with the process.
If you have any questions or concerns about volunteering or signing up with ADDitions, don't hesitate to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Robyn Fodor - Band Volunteer Coordinator
"Ready, Set, FUNd!" Fundraiser
This is your last chance to gain sponsorships through our "Ready, Set, FUNd" fundraiser! Our fundraiser continues through tomorrow, Monday, October 5! Keep reaching out to anyone and everyone you hope would be willing to help out both you and the Band as a whole. This fundraiser was a big success last year, and has the potential for the students to raise a significant amount of money for the Band program!
Have a Netflix account? Hulu? PlaystationVue? "Ready, Set, FUNd" is easy and really low hassle!
What do you get?
- A year's worth of access to the City Saver App with customized coupons based on where you or your family live in the US!
- 3 annual subscriptions to magazines of your choosing.
- A 2-night stay voucher in either Orlando or Las Vegas, NV!
- A great feeling for supporting the students in the Winter Park Band!
How much is it?
- Only $10.00 a month! You can either pay per month or make one lump payment up front.
- $60.00 of your year of support goes directly to the Winter Park Band!
How much fundraising credit does my student get for getting supporters?
- $5.00 per month, per subscriber!
- That's $60.00 in fundraising credit per subscriber!
- You could cover the entire year's worth of Fair Share with 5 subscribers!
- It's so easy!
What do I do next?
- Send this link to your family and friends: readysetfund.com/group/winterparkband
- Get some supporters! We want everyone to try to get at least 4!
Unlike a full band rehearsal experience, studying with a private teacher focuses in on the student’s individual needs. Students who study privately once a week from a professional musician are usually those who excel and find Band more enjoyable. These students frequently earn positions in honor groups like All-State and All-County, and make entry into our more advanced bands like Wind Symphony and Jazz Ensemble I. Some even go on to earn college scholarships, even if they are not majoring in music!
By following the link below, you will find a list of local private teachers. This list is not exhaustive, and there may be other individuals who are not on the list. If you know a private teacher who should be added (or would like to be deleted), please contact Mr. Clemente at email@example.com.
NEW PARENT LIAISON
If you are having a technology issue and have not yet reached out to the school about resolution, please email Mr. Steffey at Donald.Steffey@ocps.net to set up an appointment at school for your computer to be looked at. Email should be sent as soon as you read this!
As a reminder, students are considered present in their LaunchED class if they:
- Joined the call before the tardy bell.
- Have their camera on the entire class period.
- Are able to be seen, face and instrument, in the camera view.
- Participate in class from bell to bell.
Students who do not have their camera on for the duration of class, and we have not received an email from the school stating awareness of the issue and work towards it being resolved, will be marked absent.
Thank you for your work to resolve these technology issues!
FINANCES & CHARMS
Past Due Band Payments
- Band Registration Fair Share - $25.00 Due 5/5
- Fair Share Payment 1 - $25.00 Due 8/19
- Fair Share Payment 2 - $25.00 Due 9/30
- Jazz Fair Share Payment 1(if applies) - $15.00 Due 9/30
- School Instrument Semester 1 Maintenance(if applies) - $60.00 Due 9/30
Viewing your Student's Financial Account in Charms:
There is a direct link to Charms in "Quick Links" on the band website.
- Our school code is winterparkhsband
- The Student Area Password would be a unique password that either the student or parent have set up. (If you don't know the password it can be reset by one of the band directors).
- Once you have logged into the Student Area, click on the round, red $ symbol on the top menu bar to view your student's account
- If your student has earned Band Account Credit (in the Miscellaneous Ledger) this credit can be transferred to pay for many band fees: Fair Share, School Instrument Maintenance, Registration Fees for All-State, All-County and Solo Ensemble.
Requesting a Credit Transfer to pay for Fixed Payments Due:
- Click on the "Transfer Request" tab just below the round, red $ symbol. Select the fixed payment you would like to pay for using the credit. The request is sent to the band directors and the band booster treasurer.
- SENIORS: Please check your credit balance and use it accordingly during the year. Credit for Seniors left at the end of the year can only be transferred to siblings.
2020-2021 FINANCIAL OBLIGATIONS SCHEDULE