Exploring G/T & Honors Courses
Lewisville ISD Advanced Academics
Both G/T-designated courses and Honors courses in LISD guarantee rich learning experiences for students.
The Honors Experience
In ALL advanced courses, students will...
- see themselves as a connected part of a community of learners where perspectives, passions, and prior experiences are valued.
- engage in performance tasks for the course as a way of making connections across skills in a relevant and authentic context.
- participate in exploratory experiences that generate questions and theories as a way to make meaning and gain a deeper understanding of a concept.
- take an active role in measuring their learning in an ongoing cycle of feedback, reflection, and action to refine their understanding.
- grapple with concepts, skills, and ideas that will require perseverance and time to build complex understanding.
- engage in discourse with others around the essential questions/enduring understandings as they make connections and explore concepts.
Course sections specifically identified as G/T additionally offer...
- instructional strategies to meet the unique needs of gifted learners.
- thematic English Language Arts & Reading (ELAR) curriculum.
- differentiated learning experiences.
- opportunities for enrichment.
- opportunities to grow in leadership, creativity, problem-solving, critical thinking, self-awareness, research, and communication.
- learning and collaboration with like-minded peers.
Students who have been identified by LISD as needing gifted & talented services have the option to take G/T-designated courses. G/T placement is not required for enrollment in Honors classes.
G/T students are required to take at least ONE advanced academics course per school year to retain their G/T status. Advanced courses include Honors, Advanced Placement (AP), and Level 3 or 4 Career & Technology Education (CTE) courses.
For more information regarding G/T courses offered at your child's school, please contact the school counselor.
For more information regarding Lewisville ISD G/T services, please contact Tammy Williams, email@example.com, 469-948-8122.