Week of October 18th through 22nd
STRATEGIC THINKERS - - - EXCITED LEARNERS - - - SUCCESSFUL LEADERS
Administrators' Message 10/15/21
Dear Sandymount Families ~
Upon my return this week, I was thrilled to see all the wonderful things happening at Sandymount! I was overjoyed to see the smiling faces of students, families, and staff. I’m so incredibly happy to be back with my Sandymount family! Thank you to all the families who reached out with well wishes and kind gestures during my time away.
We had an AMAZING week at Sandymount! THANK YOU to our staff, families, students and PTA for an incredibly fun and exciting Fun Run! The positive energy, school spirit and pride was felt indoors and outdoors. In addition, the weather was perfect for students who participated in the event and the families who cheered them on. I am super elated to announce that we surpassed past years’ Fun Run goals. Stay tuned for information from the PTA on how these funds will support Sandymount. We greatly appreciate the support and generosity of our Sandymount families and friends.
Our first in-person parent-teacher conferences were held this week. Based on the number of filled slots and attendance, our school-wide parent attendance rate was approximately 92%. This was outstanding! We apologize if you did not have the opportunity to meet with your child’s teacher. Thankfully, we have two additional parent-teacher conference dates in November. Families, who were unable to schedule a conference due to unavailable time slots will receive first preference in November. Lastly, thanks again to our awesome PTA for the Olive Garden dinner and desserts.
Have a great weekend!
Take a Look at the Fun Run Excitement!
October 17 - 23 ~ America's Safe Schools Week
October 18-22 ~ National School Bus Safety Week
October 19 ~ Bus Driver & Bus Assistants Recognition Day
This information is the same across all 3 school levels (elementary, middle, high).
At this time, volunteers/visitors are:
- Volunteers and visitors are able to support and attend outside evets
- Volunteers may assist with the flu clinic, vision, and hearing screenings
- Volunteers may support tasks at the school not directly located in the classroom (making copies, setting up for events, etc.)
- Guest speakers and assemblies are permitted, but social distancing must take place (possibly having the event outside or by specific grade-level(s) in cafeteria/gym)
- PTA monthly planning meetings and other parent meetings can be held at the school after school
At this time, volunteers/visitors should not:
- Attend field trips
- Eat in the cafeterias with students or be present in the classrooms with students
- Support classrooms instruction with students and/or support small groups instruction
- Any PTA/PTO school events should be planned for outside through first quarter. Please refrain from any indoor PTA/PTO events during first quarter.
Please make sure that your volunteer status is active and current. You will be asked to sign in to the volunteer database if you are going to be in the building.
The volunteer training link is: https://ext.carrollk12.org/volunteerext
Message from Mrs. Porter
Attention 5th Graders! It is that time of the year for the yearbook cover contest! This year’s cover theme is “Community”, the coming together of people.
The rules are as follows:
- Your artwork should include the name of our school (Sandymount Elementary) the year (2021 – 2022) and our mascot, Chipper.
- It should show the theme for the year
- Your artwork needs to be on the 8.5 x 11 size paper can be provided by Mrs. Porter
- Your drawing needs to FILL THE SPACE!
- Your drawing should be fully colored or shaded and can be in any medium (marker, crayon, colored pencil, etc.)
- Your name should be written in PENCIL on the back of the paper
- All images used must be originally drawn and not traced
- Be creative and have fun!
The student whose cover is picked will receive a free yearbook! The second and third place winners will have their entries published in the yearbook.
DUE BY November 5th!!!
MUST BE HANDED IN TO MRS. PORTER
DON’T BE LATE!
Sandymount Spirit Days
Every Friday will be Sandymount Spirit Day! Please send your student to school wearing any Sandymount shirt or their class color to show their Sandymount Spirit!
We hope everyone enjoyed the Fun Run, we know the kids did. There areTrunk still a few days left for students to earn prizes and Register! Can we set a record and get the last couple classes over the goal line? Donations online will be accepted until 10/17.
Trunk or Treat is just a week away and we are still looking for cars to participate.
Please join us for our PTA meeting in the media center 10/21 @7pm. We would love to have you join us and/or volunteer for one of our other opportunities. If interested, please go to www.sandymountpta.org.
The online class directory for Sandymount is run through Classroom Parent. Be sure to join so that you can communicate with your students’ classmates.
Some highlights of Upcoming Events are:
· Dine out Greenmount Station- October 18th (Flyer attached below)
· PTA Meeting - October 21- 7pm
· Beach Day – October 21
Shakira Murphy - Principal
Stacy Kowaleviocz - Assistant Principal
2222 Old Westminster Pike
Finksburg, MD 21048
Attendance only email: SESattendance@carrollk12.org
Website Address: www.carrollk12.org/ses
Sandymount PTA Website: http://www.sandymountpta.org
9:00 - School doors open for students
9:25 - Parent drop-off doors close
9:30 - Instruction begins
4:00 - Dismissal
Office Hours 8:00-4:30