East News Flash
July 24, 2020
Welcome to the 2020-2021 School Year!
Welcome to all of our new and returning Panthers! This school year presents some unique and challenging elements that compel us to stay well connected with our Plano East families. To insure strong communication, please join us with these communication tools:
- Each Friday we will distribute E-news- "East News Flash". This weekly publication will provide update and current information from Plano East.
- The Plano East website provides both updated news and a comprehensive presentation of our campus services and events.
- Plano East Twitter account (@EastPanthers1) provides tweets and retweets including photos and information regarding the activities and accomplishments of our students. Please follow us.
Please read below for important back to school information.
Welcome letter from Mr. King
Dear Plano East families,
We begin the 2020-21 school year with approximately 3000 students: 1300 soon-to-be graduating seniors, approximately 1300 juniors new to our campus (welcome!) and approximately 400 new or returning freshmen and sophomores participating in the IB academy. Launching the new school year in virtual fashion may seem a daunting task for students and families, so please reach out to any of the following school personnel to get the information you seek:
George King, principal
Sheela Daniels- associate principal for curriculum and instruction
Rob Eppler- associate principal for student activities
Clarissa Moreno- alpha sub school principal, student last names A-E
Stacey Flake- beta sub school principal, student last names F-L
Brandon Johnson- gamma sub school principal, student last names M-Ri
Roland Rios- delta sub school principal, student last names Ro-Z
Certainly our counseling department can answer all questions regarding student coursework and class schedules. To find your child's counselor, please visit the Plano East website at https://www.pisd.edu/domain/2768
We would also like to encourage you to join the Plano East PTSA. They do many wonderful things for our faculty and students. In an effort to support Plano East, please consider joining PTSA. To join the PTSA's important work, please follow this Link.
We look forward to the day when we can return to a more traditional school experience for all. In the interim, please let us know how we can optimize your child's educational experience.
George King, principal
Student Schedule Release
Administration and counselors are working extremely hard to complete schedules as soon as possible. Please stay tuned for notification through East News Flash of a date when student class schedules will be accessible through parent portal.
Student Daily Attendance and Accessing Instructional Materials
Parents and students will receive absence notifications via School Messenger after 6:00 p.m. each day and will be reminded of the opportunity to resolve that day’s absence if the student engages in learning before 11:59 p.m. of the same day via Plano ISD WebDesk. (Notifications may be controlled by parents via Parent Portal.)
Any absences recorded, but resolved by the student before 11:59 p.m. on the same day, will be reconciled based on login records of the Plano ISD WebDesk.
If a student is engaged in asynchronous learning and completes the entire week’s worth of learning activities on Monday and does not log in for the remainder of the week, he/she will be marked “present” on Monday only and counted “absent” for Tuesday-Friday.
Webdesk link can be found here.
Online Schedule Release and Student Hold Information
The traditional schedule pickup and Camp Panther that precedes the start of classes will be altered to insure the safety of all. Sadly, we will be canceling Camp Panther as this pep rally experience is typically led by senior students. Instead, all student registration will be managed online by accessing link . Families should access this site July 21-August 11 to register for school and access your child's schedule of classes. This link will assist you with this process.
If after you complete the paperwork, it indicates you have a hold on your account, you will need to come to campus to clear this hold. This hold list can be found here. Search by your student id number and see what type of hold you have.
There are three types of holds you could encounter:
- Residency hold-which we would need for you to bring a current proof of residency in Plano ISD (natural gas or electricity bill, original lease agreement, or approved certificate of eligibility to enroll form)
- School Supply Hold-students on this hold list, have items that were not turned in from previous years. You can view these holds by searching your student id on this list.
- Immunization Hold-These students do not need to come to campus. Please email our nurse Jill Halverson at Jill.Halverson@Pisd.edu and she will schedule a time to take care of this issue.
Families will need to sign up their students for a designated time slot for either August 3, 4, or 6th to clear these holds. You will come to the Cafeteria in B2. The sign up can be found here.
Please find a picture/ overview of locations of schedule release locations below.
Chromebook Check Out/ Pick-up
Students will be required to turn in a Student Technology Equipment Checkout Request Form when they come to campus to pick up a Chromebook. That form can be found here.
Please find a picture/ overview of locations of schedule release locations above.
Student Books & Calculators
Teachers will contact their students to provide textbook and calculator access information in courses that require these tools. Pick up procedures to receive these tools will be provided at a later date.
Student Parking:At this point, we are holding off on selling student parking tags. Once a student return to campus date is finalized, we will announce a date to resume parking tag sales.
Senior Reserved Parking:
Those students that purchased senior reserved parking spots will still have those spots. We are postponing the painting of those parking spots to future dates. Please watch for more information about this in future East Newsflash and from PTSA.
Despite our virtual start to the new school year, Plano East remains committed to providing student activities whenever possible. Please consider the following activities:
Senior Pictures and under class man yearbook pictures
The dates and process for senior and under class man pictures is still be determined. As soon as we have more information about this, we will share this with our families.
We will continue and begin when school starts but virtually. Please use this link to find out how to start a club at Plano East.
Senior Class officers:
Typically our senior class officers are selected during the spring, but due to the pandemic, we held off until this fall hoping we would be in a in person setting. Unfortunately we are not yet, so we will move forward with selection of officers. This process will be coming out soon after school begins. Students should be on the lookout in future East Newsflash editions and on the website.
Due to all courses being virtual, all school events are on hold at this time. As we move through the year and things change, we will keep you informed.
Family Hot Spot Internet Access
Family & Social Services Back-to-School Fairs
Plano ISD Back-to-School Fairs Are Scheduled for the Following Dates and Locations
- East feeder schools: Tuesday, July 28 - Williams High School, 10 a.m. - 1 p.m.
These free community events provide Plano ISD students and their families with back-to-school resources and essentials necessary to be equipped for a successful school year such as: school supplies, transportation assistance program information, as well as physical and mental health assistance programs.
Mobile Drive-Thru "No Contact" Distribution (while supplies last)
- Families will receive
- Backpacks filled with schools supplies for each student present and/or with proof of enrollment
- Vendor bag full of coupons, vouchers and information from community agencies and district departments
- Box of non-perishable food
- For children 4-18. Children must be accompanied by parent or guardian
- Only students attending Plano ISD can be seen
- Staff and supplies are limited, first come first served while supplies last
- A current vaccine record or note from the school stating missing vaccines is required. Paper copy only; electronic proof cannot be accepted
- Children who resist vaccinations/special needs children should be referred to the family pediatrician
- Not intended as a well check, with the exception of Head Start students
- Vaccines available:
- Chicken Pox, DtaP, Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, HIB, HPV, Meningococcal, MMR, Polio, Pneumonia and TDaP
- Payment information, cash, check or no charge if qualified and documents are provided as decried below
- No charge for vaccines, must provide paper photocopy of card
- Accepted insurance, a paper photocopy of insurance card and driver's license must be provided to receive vaccines at no charge.
- Aetna, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Cigna, Humana and United Health Care PPO
- Insurance plans NOT accepted
- Aetna & Blue cross gold, silver or bronze plans or HMO plans from any insurance companies
- $10 per vaccine and $40 maximum per child
Special Thanks to our Sponsors
- Plano ISD Education Foundation
- RBFCU - Credit Union
- Minnie's Food Pantry
- Central Market
Health Services Welcome Letter
Please visit the PISD Health Services page for information regarding a variety of topics including immunizations, medications and medical procedures at school, requirements for keeping your child at home during illness, state screening mandates, and much more.