The Family Zone
Lectionary-Based Playlist /Issue 33/November 15, 2020
But you, brothers and sisters, are not in darkness, for that day to overtake you like a thief. For all of you are children of the light and children of the day.
The offerings in this week's playlist will help your family to focus on their God-given gifts and how you can use them to bring light to the world and share the message of Jesus. As always, pick and choose those activities that invite your family into conversation, connection and ultimately conversion...our goal is to grow toward Christ.
SUNDAY READINGS: https://bible.usccb.org/bible/readings/111520.cfm
- Perfectly Norman by Tom Percival (for a delightfully interactive, online reading of this story that even includes a craft, check out: https://youtu.be/9YpCQ_XBfOI
- The Clown of God by Tomie de Paolo
- The Gift that I Can Give by Kathie Lee Gifford
Parent Article: Helping your child to discover his or her gifts: https://www.familylife.com/articles/topics/parenting/foundations/spiritual-development/helping-your-children-know-their-gifts/
For Teens: https://jamesclear.com/vivian-maier
- Make a list of all the talents you believe God has given you! You could create a list of the talents of every member of your family and share it with them! Which of your talents do you think you could use to share God's light with the world?
- Try this anagram puzzle on the parable: https://www.dltk-kids.com/bible/anagrams/talents-index.htm
- A Spiritual Gifts inventory can help you discover how your talents can connect you to different ministries within the church. Click on the PDF below to take the inventory and consider what ministries are available at your parish that you could involve yourself in!
1. Remove distractions and make eye contact
2. Don't interrupt; allow for quiet time between listening and responding. Let the speaker know you are taking the time to take it all in and truly hear him or her
3. Listen with an open mind and refrain from attaching your pre-conceived notions to the conversation
4. Clarify what you hear and ask for more details as needed; make sure you understand what you heard and not what you think you heard because of an attitude you might be feeling
The Light of God: https://www.catholic.org/prayers/prayer.php?p=2949
Pray this Week's Psalm with the video below:
- Have a hidden talent show on a video call with friends and family! Here is an example of a "Hidden Talent Show: https://youtu.be/_IN2vu9XlZc
- Send special messages to friends using these free downloadable "be the light" cards: https://hangaribbononthemoon.com/2016/06/28/be-the-light-notebooks-free-download-contest-discounts/
- Put together a "light party" for the family to enjoy some quality time focusing on the beauty of Christ's light in the world:
- What can I do to be a light for others?
- What would happen if no one tried to be a light in the darkness to help people through tough times?
- Do I have hidden gifts I haven't let people know about yet?
- Why don't I share all my talents? Is it normal to feel that you aren't good enough at something and want to hide it away?
- What would the world be like if inventors, doctors, teachers, artists, writers and musicians didn't share their gifts?
- What gifts are you grateful for?