West Family Updates 22-23
West Senior High 2022-23 BACK TO SCHOOL INFORMATION
Sep 6 - 1st Day of School!
Sep 8 - Sci-Ma-Tech student meeting 7:45am (B202)
Sep 9 -1/2 day of school (dismissal at 11:11am)
Sept 12 - Titan Debate Team meeting 3:00-4:30 w Mrs. Cole (A110)
School-wide calendar and specialty calendars (Band, Orchestra, Choir, Robotics):
22-23 TCAPS Calendar (Breaks, Holidays, Early Release and 1/2 Days)
- Students should double check their class schedule & room assignments on PowerSchool prior to the first day of school at https://powerschool.tcaps.net/public/ (A small number of classes or classroom assignments have changed to meet demand during the back to school period).
- The course ‘add/drop period’ for 1st semester opened on August 22nd and runs until September 9th for approved changes.
- If requesting a change, students must attend all classes currently on their powerschool schedule until a counselor actually makes a change.
- 2022-23 Schedule Change Request Form (please use this form if you need an appointment for schedule review)
- Please note that some virtual and specialty classes may not appear prior to Sept. 6th
Our counselor assignments (by STUDENT last name) for 2022-23 are:
Ms. Lee - last names A-E
Mrs. Kamm - F - Laf
Mr. Ford - Lag - Rom
Mrs. Pinto - Ron - Z
Daily Bell Schedule
School Begins at 8:05am and ends at 3:00pm. Early Release and Half Day schedules are listed on the document linked above.
Students can be in the wings of the school (A,B,C, Music, HPE Wings) from 7:40-3:30 on school days. Outside of those times, students must be in the Commons area unless supervised by staff.
Drop Off, Driving, Parking, Entry & Exit at West
Driving, Parking, Entry & Exit at West DETAILS
- On school days students may enter at these doors (see map above): MAIN ENTRANCE (7:00am-3:00pm), AUDITORIUM ENTRANCE (open only from 7:00-8:05am for zero hour & bus entry), ATHLETIC ENTRANCE (open only from 6:50am-7:05am for zero hour entry)
- The (East) MAIN ENTRANCE is the ONLY OPTION FOR ENTRY DURING SCHOOL HOURS ON SCHOOL DAYS (8:05am-3:00pm) - This includes any students, visitors or parents.
Students may not enter through other doors, may not prop doors open and may not let friends/students in other entrances. Doing so will result in progressive school discipline.
Student should exit through the MAIN ENTRANCE or AUDITORIUM ENTRANCE during the school day. Full exit procedures will be explained the first week of school.
Unless working with a coach, director or other school activity, all students must be off campus by 3:30pm.
All parent drop off (mornings) or pick up (afterschool) will occur on the EAST side of campus (MAIN ENTRANCE side).
All TCAPS BUS drop off/pick will occur on the WEST side of campus (AUDITORIUM ENTRANCE side).
PARENTS DO NOT PARK OR PICK UP STUDENTS ON THE WEST SIDE OF CAMPUS UNTIL ALL BUSSES HAVE LEFT AFTER 3:20pm daily. If there is not room on the EAST SIDE curb, please park in one of the parking lots and have your student come to you there.
All student vehicles parked on campus must be registered, have a school permit visible, and be parked in the appropriate lots. Students can register their vehicle by completing this form, then coming to the main office with their registration, insurance and $10 to get their permit. WSH/TCAPS reserves the right to tow vehicles parked improperly or unidentifiable vehicles without permits. Students that leave during the school day (Career Tech Center or NMC), need to park in LOT A this year.
WSH is a Drug, Weapon, and Alcohol Free School Zone at all times for all persons regardless of age. All vehicles parked on campus are subject to search as outlined in TCAPS Board Policy 5771. Do not bring prohibited items to school in your vehicle, including hunting knives, rifles, other guns, bows, or gun look alikes (airsoft, etc). No overnight parking is allowed at WSH. Cars parked overnight may be towed. No loitering is allowed in the WSH parking lots at any time.
WSH Traffic flows ONE WAY (clockwise)
- The roundabout is two lanes (must be in the left lane if exiting to Gallagher road)
- Come to a COMPLETE STOP at all three stop signs regardless of time of day - always watch for pedestrians.
- Please report any unsafe/illegal driving to the Main Office. Please report the time, exact location, vehicle description, license plate and incident as specifically as possible so we may follow up with the individual. 231-933-7500
WSH is a Closed Campus-students may not leave the campus while classes are in session unless they have signed out with an office or have the appropriate permit (CTC-NMC).
Outside food deliveries are not accepted at West. Students need to bring their lunch or buy school lunch.
TCAPS Chromebook Computers
Breakfast & Lunch Info
- School lunch is NOT FREE FOR ALL STUDENTS THIS YEAR due to federal changes (details below) Please apply here to be considered for free or reduced rate meals: https://traversecity.familyportal.cloud/
- Families that wish to add $ to their lunch account online. See details below (Send Money to School is now Family Portal)
Outside food deliveries are not accepted at West. Students need to bring their lunch or buy school lunch on school days.
Free or Reduced Meals -
TCAPS Food Service would like to remind families that school meals are no longer free for all students. Please fill out a free and reduced meal application in the new Family Portal to see if your child/children qualifies for a free or reduced price meal. Please consider filling out the application even if you believe you would not qualify, or if you choose not to participate in school meals, as these applications help the district in attaining grant monies that benefits all TCAPS students.
Procedures to Avoid Meal Charges
We want to take this opportunity to update families on procedures they may use to avoid school meal charges:
Families can send cash or checks to school to pay for meals. Please put the money in an envelope with the child’s name to avoid confusion. Checks are the best method to avoid having children carry cash.
Families can add money to their child’s account through the Family Portal. There is a nominal processing fee.
Families can set up charge limits in the Family Portal which will generate email notices when their child’s account goes over or comes near their charge limits.
Families can also monitor their child's spending in the Family Portal.
Schools will reach out to the family if their child’s charges go over $10 to inform them of the charges and help them arrange for payment.
Important Information for SendMoneyToSchool.com (SMTS) Users: Your SMTS account does not transfer automatically to the Family Portal. You must Register to create a Family Portal account; however, if you use the same email address as you used for SMTS, your family members will transfer and be approved for immediate access once you finalize the registration.
Food Pantry - A food pantry is available to students at West. There is a green button at the bottom of this update for the food pantry, or stop into the Main or Counseling office.
Tentative lunch assignments (by 4th hour teacher). This will be explained during 3rd hour on Tuesday.
- Spiral Notebooks (separate for each class or multiple subject)
- File Folder for each class
During the first day/days of class, teachers will notify students of class specific items that are needed via their course Syllabus.
Parents often ask if they can donate classroom supplies. The list below includes our highest need items at WSH. If you are able to contribute, please bring items to the WSH Main Office:
- 4 packs of Expo Markers (red, blue, green, black)
- Black Pens
- Blue Pens
- Rubber Bands
- Scotch tape refills
- Masking tape
- Sanitizing Wipes
Lockers & Electronics and high value items
TCAPS Secondary (MS/HS) Student Handbook
Students will review the critical information in our Student Handbook during September. A link to the Student Handbook can always be found on our Parents & Students webpage under common forms, documents & resources or you may view it directly here.
This includes information about how to opt out of Directory Information services or required Military service information sharing.
WSH Cell Phone/Device Procedure (This will be explained during 2nd hour on Tuesday)
Since 2019, this consistent procedure has been in place to keep student's attention & focus on learning while in class.
- Students may have their cell phones on campus and may use them in the hallways, commons, etc.
- Student cell phones may not been seen or heard at any time they are in a classroom. This also applies to air pods/ear buds (must be out and put away before walking into the classroom), and portable gaming devices.
- Student smart watches may be worn, but will be subject to the same procedure if being used to communicate or game during learning time. Smart watches can not be worn during tests/assessments and are strictly prohibited during SAT/PSAT and other required assessments.
- Students that do not comply with the procedure will turn off their device, seal it in an envelope that they label and may pick it up from the MAIN OFFICE at the end of that school day.
WSH Unified Passing System (This will be explained during 1st hour on Tuesday)
- Maximizing learning time
- Maintain Safety & Security
- Protect student privacy and dignity
- Increase accessibility to student supports
Absences (This will be explained during 3rd hour on Tuesday)
- Attendance is the strongest predictor of a student Graduating on Time
- Please work with your families "Neighborhood Office" on attendance items
- Report student absences in advance whenever possible
- Call early if you need to check your student out during the school day. You will experience delays if you call once you get to West to pick your student up.
- Contact the Neighborhood Office if you are planning to be absent for a long period of time or if your child unexpectedly missed an extended period of time and is returning.
- Make sure the Neighborhood has current phone and e-mail addresses
Athens Office: 231-933-7590
Athens Attendance: 231-933-7555
Sparta Office: 231-933-7503
Sparta Attendance: 231-933-7555
Olympia Office: 231-933-7707
Olympia Attendance: 231-933-7555
West Staff Changes
- Mrs. Kali Meyers - has been hired as the Sparta Principal. She will continue working with Mrs. Baumann.
- Mrs. Juleen Jenkins-Whall: will be the National Honor Society Adviser for 2022-23
- Mrs. Katy Pluimer - will be joining WSH as a part time special education teacher for next year.
- Mrs. Emily Luenberger -will be at WSH as a long-term guest teacher in our Art Department
- Mr. Shawn Lent - is joining WSH as our full-time American Sign Language Teacher
- Mr. Nick Brown will be joining WSH as a full-time Special Education Teacher
2022-23 WSH Student Text Message Sign Up
@ tcapsstudent.net e-mail is the primary way West shares information with students. If students would also like to get a text when there is new info (newsletters, schedule changes, event reminders), enter your info below. This is only for contact info for active STUDENTS that will be attending West in 2022-23. Parent contact info for e-mails and texts is pulled from Powerschool and can be updated by parents calling the school office. This is an optional service and ALL students will still get their important school info via @tcapsstudent.net e-mail.
Senior Photo info for your Senior's 2023 yearbook!
The Senior Photo Yearbook Deadline is Monday, November 7, 2022
Please review the below website for all guidelines. All photos must be submitted in .jpg format @ 300dpi resolution, 2.25"x 3", vertical orientation ONLY with appropriate head and shoulder to background ratio. Senior photo submissions should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Any photos that don't adhere to all of the specifications on the following website, https://wshyearbook.weebly.com/senior-photos.html, may not be used in the yearbook (Timeless Image school ID photo from registration will be used instead). Please contact a professional photographer if you have questions regarding the industry standard specifications.
Submit your high resolution .jpg photo to: email@example.com Please note that when school is not in session, the firstname.lastname@example.org email is not continuously monitored. As soon as the school year begins, we will begin responding to emails. Thank you for your patience.
Honors Summer Assignments
Connect, like, follow: West social media channels and web resources:
Please consider 'liking' or 'following' the social media & web pages below that may related to your student's areas of interest to stay in the loop regarding student accomplishments and upcoming events in those areas:
Athletics and Titan Training
Answers & Resources for Commonly Asked Questions at WSH
Direct links to calendars for: WSH School Year, TCAPS School Year, Athletics, Robotics, Band, Orchestra, Vocal & Music Boosters
PowerSchool App code is TGFL Your Neighborhood Office can provide parent access codes
Students that need an OFFICIAL transcript sent can do so online via Parchment.com
If you are in need of any food, personal or household supply items, please complete this survey. You will be contacted discreetly when items are ready for pick-up from your Neighborhood Office.
Written Daily Announcements via Power School (also viewable in the PowerSchool app Dashboard as 'School Bulletin' ).