PFES - Board Report
December 17, 2020
Monthly Safety Drill: Armed Intruder/Lockdown
Subject: School Safety Monthly Report to School Board
The Chequamegon School District conducted a tabletop drill to validate the current emergency plans and Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for an ACTIVE SHOOTER and LOCKDOWN scenarios on Thursday, December 10, 2020 at both campuses with all students and staff. The exercise focused on the staff actions and increased student awareness of response options that will increase their safety.
Summary of Debrief from Staff and Principals
Length of drill
Areas for improvement:
More communication on the subject of school safety procedures
Keep practicing, add realism
Add “all call numbers” to the phones, perhaps on a sticker
Have staff training in August regarding school safety to review Standard Operating Procedures on Active Shooter/Lockdown
The Armed Intruder/Lockdown drill provided an opportunity for staff to review and discuss the Standard Operating Procedures for Armed Intruder and Lockdowns. Because this was a tabletop format to maintain COVID19 safety protocols, the drill included between one and three additional scenarios with other variables that were age appropriate. Students and staff were able to consider more “what if” scenarios using this plan. All students completed a classroom debrief and staff completed a survey to provide administrators with suggestions for improvement. Key suggestions are listed above. The Park Falls Police Department observed the drill at the South Campus.
December Activities and Accomplishments
- The number of virtual students in the PFES decreased 3 students to 34 this past month.
- Completed planning for Christmas music video to replace Christmas concert
- Worked with Chad to update website organization and eliminate link issues
- Worked with Kelly and Jess on preliminary ACT planning
- Began planning for 2021 4yk open house and screening events
- Planned and executed district lockdown and intruder drill
- Scheduled 6 meetings with parents about attendance concerns
- Reviewed b.e.s.t. data and set a building behavior goal and developed next steps for teachers
- Complete daily "check-ins" with 7 students to support improved behavior
First graders in Mrs. Wolfe's class
Mrs. Wolfe was following the decodable routine in the EL flex curriculum so kids can work on their targeted learning level. The progress monitoring tools helped with identifying each students level and with grouping the students for this work. This student was working on plural nouns ending in y/ies.
First graders in Mrs. Brad's class
Using the same system, these students were working on multiple syllable words, long and short vowels, and sound consonant blends. The other students were working on their Ipads for additional practice.
First graders in Mrs. Minemma's class
The first grade teachers work together to plan these lessons so all students are getting "on level" instruction. Here, students in Mrs. Minemma's class were learning about digraphs.