3L Weekly News
Week Ending April 18, 2015
This week in...
This week we tried something new. Students were invited to spend their recess time to create a newsletter! The weekly news updates found below were written by Ava P, Mia, Megan, and Kathryn.
Reading: we are working on our biographies. Some of the people we are studying are Maria Tallchief, Amelia Earhart, and Teddy Roosevelt. We will be creating written movies about our people, too.
Math: we have recently began unit 9. In this unit, we are found different areas using multiplication. Also, we worked on understanding number stories and worked with expanded numbers.
Writing: In our writing this week, we worked on revising our persuasive pieces. We looked back at older rubrics and made sure we made improvements on this piece. We self-assessed the newest pieces and wrote new introductions. We also worked on poetry using poetry inspired by locations like Alaska, Africa, and Hopkins Pond.
Chemistry: In science we wrapped up our concrete poems for chemistry. Next week, Miss Lipski will tell us what each substance was!
Social Studies: we continued to learn how to weave and students are well on their way! These weavings may come home as students have been asking to work on them after school! They are looking fabulous already! Additionally, we learned about a specific Native American tribe, the Iroquois and how they were resourceful and adapted to their surroundings. We found that the Iroquois lived in homes called long houses and lived with up to ten family members in each house.
Check This Out!
- I have recently started tweeting on Twitter! You can find our pictures via #centralschoolpride, @mlipski1, or @CentralES1 (Mrs. Simkus' Central page)
2. Moby Max: This is a great enrichment tool for Math and Language Arts.
3. Typing Agent: **This is a GREAT tool to help your child with his/her typing skills!
- We will have our spelling assessment on Monday, April 20, 2015.
- It is important that students are studying their multiplication facts each night. It not only helps build good study habits, but also builds stamina and quick recall! While it is great students are using strategies such as repeated addition and drawing pictures, these facts must be known by heart. Students can check out my eBoard for additional practice with this skill.
- Please continue to assist your child in packing up all homework in order to ensure it comes back to school. A great strategy is to have your child check off each assignment after it is completed and placed back in his/her Take Home Folder.
Important Dates for 3L
Happy Birthday to:
- Please check our eBoard and contact me if your child would like to celebrate his/her birthday in school.
Poet of the Week:
- Henry: Friday, April 24
- Poems must be submitted for teacher approval before a student presents!!
Star of the Week:
- Daniel: April 20-24
- *Posters will come home one week before your child's scheduled date.
- David Kastenberg: Wednesday, April 22 @ 8:40 am
- Adrianna Adams: Friday, April 24 @ 8:40 am
- Schedule is attached to my eBoard under Guest Read Aloud
*Click the link below to my eBoard for additional details!
April 23 CS EXPO NIGHT 6:30 pm
April 24 Jump Rope for Heart 10:00-10:45 3rd Grade
April 27, 28, 29 PARCC
May 6 PAC Meeting 3:10 pm Art Room 191
May 4-8 Teacher Appreciation Week
May 8 CS SPIRIT DAY Wear your gear!
May 20 Scholastic BOGO Sale APR
May 20 PTA Meeting 7:30 pm Library
May 26 Spring Concert 7:30 MS Aud
June 4PTA Information Night
June 5 K End of Year Program
June 5 CS SPIRIT DAY Wear your gear!
June 8-12 Spirit Week
June 11 5th Grade Remembrance 6:00 pm APR
June 12 Awards Assembly
June 12 Spring Social
June 17 Field Day
June 17 5th Grade Swim Party (Rain Day June 18)
June 17-19 Half Days for Students 12:30 Dismissal
June 19 Last Day of the 14-15 School Year
- Student Characteristic Profiles: Please see the letter regarding student placements for 15-16 school year. This was sent on April 2nd in a separate email. The due date is April 24th. This letter only applies to Grades K-4
- Take Your Child to Work Day is Thursday, April 23rd. Complete the form by Monday, April 20th. In order for your child's absence to be considered EXCUSED on April 23rd, this form must be submitted in advance. By returning this form or note to your child’s teacher prior to April 24th, we will place your child’s name on our EXCUSED ABSENCE list, eliminating the need for you to call the school.
Specials This Week:
Monday is a Day 6:
Tuesday is a Day 1:
- Spanish and Music
Wednesday is a Day 2:
- Gym and Library
Thursday is a Day 3:
Friday is a Day 4:
- Spanish and Strings
A Word from Third
None at this time.