Fulton Science Academy
ACCREDITED AND STEM CERTIFIED COLLEGE PREP GIFTED SCHOOL
A NEW SCHOOL YEAR! A NEW BEGINNING!
Daily 20 Minutes Social Emotional Learning
Beginning this August, students in pre-k through eighth grade will participate in daily 20-minutes Social Emotional Learning at the end of their first period. Relationships are at the core of a successful learning community . Caring School Community builds classroom and schoolwide community while developing students’ social and emotional learning (SEL) skills and competencies. It is designed to help students become caring, responsible members of their school communities and, ultimately, to grow into humane, principled, and skilled citizens of a democratic society. The program helps teachers create warm, safe, and disciplined classroom environments where students can develop the skills and dispositions they need to interact constructively with others. The program achieves this by doing the following:
- building caring relationships with and among students
- directly teaching social skills
- creating calm, orderly learning environments through the effective use of classroom management practices
The social skills addressed in the lessons fall into four categories:
Beginning-of-year skills, such as learning and following the classroom and school rules and procedures and learning to look at and greet one another by name;
Self-management skills, such as reflecting on their own behavior and asking for help when needed;
Interpersonal skills, such as including one another and sharing work fairly; and,
Executive function skills, such as monitoring attention and refocusing when necessary .
NEW SCIENCE CURRICULUM for ELEMENTARY AND MIDDLE SCHOOL
Research shows that the best way to learn science is by doing science. FOSS Next Generation puts the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) into practice by integrating all three dimensions: the Disciplinary Core Ideas, the Science and Engineering Practices, and the Crosscutting Concepts, all within our classroom-proven tools and strategies to engage students and teachers in enduring experiences that lead to deeper understanding of the natural and designed world.
FOSS Next Generation:
- Engages all students with meaningful active learning experiences
- Prepares all students to succeed with the NGSS performance expectations
- Integrates robust reading and literacy strategies to support ELA learning for all students
- Utilizes technology to deliver learning experiences and provide teachers with time-saving classroom management resources
COUNSELING TEAM GROWS!
Mrs. Anna Cantrell
Professional School Counselor for Elementary School
Mrs. Katie Beck
Professional School Counselor for Middle School
MS. HIBBAH AGHA
Professional School Counselor for High School
As you might already know, South Korea's top gifted science school visited our school this year with their principal and six department chairs. They invited us to their school and we will be visiting them during this Fall Holiday with our admin team members and department chairs.
We are pleased to inform you that our school is leading an initiative to create an international coalition of top gifted and science schools around the world and soon you will be hearing more about this. Through this international partnership, we will continuously improve our educational program and offer a variety of international opportunities to our students.
We are excited to say that we will offer an AP Capstone Program to our high school students this year.
"AP Capstone™ is a diploma program from the College Board. It’s based on two yearlong AP courses: AP Seminar and AP Research."
Participating in AP Capstone can help students:
- Stand out to colleges in the application process.
- Develop key academic skills they’ll use in college and beyond.
- Become self-confident, independent thinkers and problem solvers.
- Earn college credit: Many colleges offer credit for qualifying scores.
AP Capstone Diploma™: Granted to students who earn scores of 3 or higher in AP Seminar and AP Research and on four additional AP Exams of their choosing.
AP Seminar and Research Certificate™: Granted to students who earn scores of 3 or higher in both AP Seminar and AP Research.
DIGITAL ARTS & DRAMA COURSES
This year, we have added two more teachers to enhance fine arts program offerings. These teachers are Ms. Elizabeth Martin (Digital Arts) and Mrs. Kate Meyers (Drama). They will offer Digital Arts and Drama as both course and club. We welcome them to FSA!
IVY BRIDGE DEBATE TEAM
NEW ADDITIONS TO ATHLETIC PROGRAM
- Middle School & Varsity Cross Country
- Middle School & Varsity Volleyball
- Middle School & Varsity Basketball
- Middle School & Varsity Tennis
- Middle School & Varsity Track
- Middle School & Varsity Fencing
- Middle School & Varsity Tennis
- Middle School & Varsity Golf
- Middle School Swimming