Third Grade Cardinal Chronicle
December 11, 2015
Mrs. Johnston's Class
Follow us on Twitter: @MrsTJohnston
WE NEED YOUR HELP!! AS OF RIGHT NOW WE HAVE NO HELP FOR THE HOLIDAY PARTY! IF YOU CAN COME PLEASE CONTACT FRANDY OR JUST RESPOND TO THIS EMAIL!
WHEN: FRIDAY, DECEMBER 18TH 1:45-2:45
Upcoming Dates to Remeber
December 18th Market Day (see below)
December 18th Holiday Party 1:45-2:45
December 21-Jan 4 Holiday Break
Next Week's Special Area Classes
- Monday- Day 3 Music
- Tuesday- Day 4 Art
- Wednesday- Day 5 PE
- Thursday- Day 6 Music
- Friday- Day 1 Art & Library
What's Happening in Mrs. Johnston's Class
Meet our Temporary Class Pets...can we persuade them to stay?
Social Studies- Economy- Market Day
Our Economy Unit has been so much fun and has taught the students so much about how the economy works.
Students have been busy writing a business plan, discussing marketing and making an advertisement to be included in a catalogue for 3rd grade. They made a prototype, made modifications if needed and then began production.
We have our culminating activity on Friday...MARKET DAY!! They are so excited and proud of their hard work!
Hour of Code
- We will continue our small reading groups. Ask your child what book we are reading in our small group. When our small groups wrap up the students will be reading in partnerships and meeting with me to work on reading skills and discuss their current book selections.
- Students will continue to learn about strategies when reading independently.
- We will continue looking at and investigating nonfiction pieces including opinion and persuasive texts.
- We will continue our daily 5 activities where we will read, write, and do word work.
- We will continue learning about time to the half hour, quarter hour, and to the minute.
- We will continue to learn about elapsed time and solve real world problems that involve this skill.
- We will continue with math workshop where the students practice math alone, with partners, and in groups while I get to know the students better as mathematicians.
- We will continue to solve real world problems using many different strategies that we have learned through exploration and through watching others.
- Students will be working to create their own math games, four blocks, and problems of the day. These will become part of our math workshop as they finish them.
- We will continue to explore nonfiction authors and the reasons for writing a nonfiction book.
- We will continue writing opinion and persuasive pieces.
- We will continue to write about topics of our choice.