NewsFlash - Dec. 1
Town of Sunnyvale - Dec. 1, 2023
Kick off the holiday season with the Town of Sunnyvale at 5:30 p.m. this evening at Sunnyvale Town Hall, 127 N. Collins Road.
Mayor Saji George will officially light the Town Christmas Tree at 5:45 p.m. Then Santa will arrive in the lobby for pictures and letters. Enjoy Christmas crafts, hot chocolate and cookies, face painting and take pictures with a live reindeer!
Carolers will set the holiday mood from 6 to 7 p.m. The event concludes at 7:30 p.m.
Parking: General Parking is at Town Center Park, 356 E. Tripp Road and use the south walking bridge to access the event site. Town Hall Parking is reserved for staff and performers only.
Food & Toy Drive for the Holidays!
Donate Non-Perishable Food and Unwrapped Toys Through Dec. 15
The Sunnyvale Police and Fire Departments are partnering with the Southeast Alliance Care Team and Sharing Life to accept food and toy donations.
Donations will be accepted during regular business hours at:
- Sunnyvale Police Department - 364 Long Creek Road
- Sunnyvale Fire Department - 305 E. Tripp Road
- Sunnyvale Town Hall - 127 N. Collins
Food donations should be non-perishable and canned items. Toy donations should be unwrapped.
Annual Turkey Trot Benefits Sunnyvale's Animal Shelter
Thanks to everyone who turned out for the Fast & Furriest Sunnyvale Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving Day! With more than 300 registrations PLUS a $2,000 donation from our title sponsor, Roofix Roofing, the event netted a total of $3120 to go to the Sunnyvale Animal Shelter!
Visit the race website to see more photos.
One of Our Shelter Dogs Needs a Special Foster Home!
The Sunnyvale Animal Shelter urgently needs a foster home for one of the dogs in our care.
Kodak is a one-year-old German Shepherd. He came to us about six weeks ago with an injured tail, which eventually had to be amputated. Kodak has severe anxiety issues and needs lots of care and attention. He is a great, loving dog. He's just very needy right now.
We're searching for someone who can foster him until a forever home can be found. The Town will be responsible for Kodak's healthcare and food while in foster care. He can be adopted for FREE, and his new owner will be responsible for his continued health and recovery.
If you can assist, please contact the Sunnyvale Animal Shelter at (214) 862-4525.
December is National Cat Lovers Month! If you love cats, help us find responsible, forever homes for the sweet kitties at the Sunnyvale Animal Shelter.
Keep sharing with your friends and networks and let's clear our shelter this holiday season!
We're still waiving pet adoption fees and providing discount vouchers for several pet services.
Beginning Saturday, Dec. 9, we will host monthly pet adoption events at the Mesquite PetSmart, 19175 LBJ Freeway. Watch for updates in NewsFlash and on our social media pages.
Call us at (214) 862-4525 or visit our Petfinder page to learn about these pets and many more.
Road Construction - What To Expect Next Week
Project updates for Week of Dec. 4
Work is underway on $16.4 million worth of road improvement projects recently approved by the Sunnyvale Town Council.
Phase 2B and 2C include the repair and overlay of the following sections of asphalt roadway (dates are subject to change). This week's activity is scheduled to include:
- Town East Boulevard from Collins Road to Tower Place - All construction-related work has been completed except for some minor shoulder cleanup.
- East Fork (first Phase 2C project) between Gloria and Tripp is nearly finished. Final paving is expected to be completed by Saturday, 12/2, weather permitting. All that will remain for the week of 12/4 is to complete lane striping.
- North Collins Road from Town East Boulevard to Barnes Bridge Road is ongoing. Final paving for both lanes of Collins is scheduled to occur Monday - Wednesday (12/4-12/6) weather permitting. The northbound lane will be paved first followed by the southbound lane, so please plan on using Town East/Polly/Barnes Bridge to bypass the construction zones.
- North Paschall from Tripp to US 80 Frontage Road - Construction is underway on the northbound lane. Please consider using US80/Collins/Tripp to access North Paschall while the northbound lane is closed.
- South Paschall from US 80 Frontage Road to Long Creek - Construction is underway on both lanes. South Paschall will only be open to local traffic needing to access businesses/residences adjacent to South Paschall, so cut-through traffic will not be allowed during construction.
The latest updates and a preview of upcoming activities are available at TownofSunnyvale.org/RoadProjects. Construction schedules can change with short notice. We appreciate your patience.
Mail Service - Construction operations could temporarily disrupt US Postal Service deliveries to some mailboxes in the construction area. The Supervisor of Delivery at the Mesquite Post Office confirmed that undelivered mail would be held at the Mesquite Post Office, 120 E. Grubb Dr. Post office hours can be found at their website.
Trash Service - For residents along the construction route, please make sure your trash containers are out by 7 a.m. on your assigned day. If the lane in front of your home is closed, please place your container across the street.
Sunnyvale Survey - Residents Enjoy Trails & Natural Spaces
Earlier this year, more than 700 Sunnyvale residents shared their insights about our community through a "livability" survey.
The overall quality of the natural environment in Sunnyvale received positive ratings from more than 8 in 10 residents, with about two-thirds giving high marks to the Town's open spaces and availability of paths and walking trails.
Residents were asked to give specific feedback about the importance of trail connections within the community. Almost 70% ranked connections within their subdivision as essential or very important, while 60% ranked connections to schools and 64% ranked connections to other subdivisions as essential or very important.
These results were part of the National Community Survey. The full report is available at TownofSunnyvale.org/Survey.