WRE Principal's Newsletter
Will Rogers Families,
Wishing you and your family well,
Stefanie Pattillo, Principal
Canvas & Technology Support
- Our teachers have been working diligently to learn Canvas and create meaningful lessons for your student. If you are having trouble accessing activities or opening links on Canvas, please notify your teacher.
- For general information about how to use and access Canvas, please see the Canvas for Families of EPS website for instructional videos and more.
- There is also a link to the EPS Tech Support website for assistance with devices.
- The Edmond Public Schools Student Technology Protection Plan (STPP) has been established to give parents the option to purchase protection covering the repair or replacement costs of the technology package.
Blended At-Home Learning Days
The district’s attendance policy and regulations have changed. A detailed explanation of attendance issues can be found on the district website. Notable changes include:
- Attendance is vital; however, a child exhibiting any of the COVID symptoms should be kept at home for observation and possible testing.
- Failure to log in to Canvas, turn in any at-home assignments, or reach out to the teacher for help will result in a recorded absence for the three at-home learning days.
- In order for absences (especially those due to illness from COVID-19) to be coded correctly and not result in credit loss, a truancy record, or “Chronic absenteeism” status as defined by the state, parents will have to provide documentation such as a doctor’s note or positive COVID-19 test results.
Illness or Exposure at School - updated 9/14/2020
Individuals found to have Covid-19 will not return to school until they have met the CDC’s criteria for being around others. This criteria includes 24-hrs fever free without the use of fever reducing medication, improved Covid-19 symptoms, and a minimum of 10-days of self-isolation having passed since symptoms first appeared. Individuals that test positive but show no symptoms may return 10 Days from the date the test was administered as long as no symptoms of Covid-19 have appeared.
Individuals sent home for Covid-19 like symptoms are required to complete a 10 day self-isolation period beginning from symptom onset. Individuals sent home for Covid-19 symptoms may choose to take a Covid-19 test (PCR or rapid), which would allow an early return from self-isolation with a confirmed and documented negative result. Covid-19 testing is an alternative option to the 10 day self-isolation period for Covid-19 symptoms and is not required. Covid-19 tests and Antigen Tests are different, and it is the responsibility of the individual to verify that the Covid-19 test is being administered. Negative antigen test results will not be accepted for a return to school or return to work. Testing documentation must be submitted to the site.
When students or staff are ready to return to school after a Covid-19 related isolation, the staff member (or student’s parent/guardian) should call the school one day prior to returning for a Covid-19 pre-return check-in. This conversation will clarify the following: 1) No fever for the previous 24 hours without medication, symptoms of Covid-19 have improved since symptom onset, and at least 10 days has passed since symptoms first appeared; or ( 2) 10 days has passed from date the positive test was administered and symptoms of Covid-19 have not developed. Then, on the individual’s first day back, he/she must check-in at the front office prior to reporting to work or class for a temperature check with the nurse or nurse’s designee.
In accordance with CDC guidelines, staff or students who have had close contact with a person with Covid-19, even if they feel healthy, will be required to quarantine for 14 days from the date of last contact with the positive individual. Those in quarantine are encouraged to check their temperature twice a day, watch for symptoms of Covid-19, and stay away from people who are at higher risk for getting very sick from the virus. Individuals may return after the 14 day quarantine period has been completed as long as no symptoms of Covid-19 have appeared and the individual has not tested positive. A negative Covid-19 test will not reduce a 14 day quarantine period as symptoms could develop 2-14 days after exposure.
Site administrators or a school representative will notify parents if their child has been exposed to a confirmed Covid-19 case. Due to HIPAA regulations, the district will not divulge the identity of the person who has tested positive unless required by the Oklahoma State Department of Health.
The district will conduct contact tracing, however, only the parents of the students who were exposed will be contacted directly, others will be notified as appropriate.
- Free and Reduced Lunch Applications are available now at the Child Nutrition website below. Only one application per family is needed.
- Lunch Money: Add money to your child's lunch account through MyPaymentsPlus.
- Breakfast and Lunch for At-Home Learning Days: On the days that students are not eating in the school cafeteria, meals will be available for pickup at all school locations. Unlike the summer meal program, meals will need to be picked up at the child's home school because we will need to confirm that they are enrolled, charge them according to their meal status at their school and ensure that the meals are appropriate for the child's grade level. Both breakfast and lunch will be available at the same time. Our pick up time is 12:25-12:55 in our bus loop (enter on the drive west of the school). Please note that the meals provided will incorporate some of the items in the regular school lunch but will be tweaked to work in a sack lunch. Children do not have to be present at pick-up, but whoever picks up the meals will need to provide the student's name(s) to check off the roster as meals are passed out.
Virtual Edmond Families
- The last date to make a Virtual Edmond change is Sept. 2. Please notify your site school BY EMAIL no later than midnight Sept. 2 if your child will be moving to the A/B blended learning model.
- We are working on a plan for library book check out from the WR Media Center. More information to come.
- Picture Days are September 22nd & 25th. VE students will be able to come and take their picture on one of those days. More information to come.
Will Rogers PTO
9/17 Virtual Back to School Night (more details to come)
9/22 Fall Pictures for Group A (Virtual Edmond student picture schedule to come)
9/25 Fall Pictures for Group B (Virtual Edmond student picture schedule to come)